Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 490

It's nice to see that we have the same cast, singing the same song.
    Honda, Honda Rah! Rah!
    Ford, BOOO! HISS!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Liked: 1417

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    Honda, Honda Rah! Rah!
    Ford, BOOO! HISS!
    Wow.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Wow.

When I read it, I thought, "Good grief". I looked back at posts 2, 3, 5, 8 (and many others) and figured he must have had blinders on.

I think it is safe to say there is a clear majority that think this (new Ford block offering) is a good thing.

I might even go so far as guessing 100% of the people in favor of the Honda in FF would support this new Ford block. Am I wrong?
    Last edited by RussMcB; 07.13.10 at 12:47 PM.

Liked: 23

Honda, Honda Rah! Rah!
    Ford, BOOO! HISS!
    Here Roland, see post #3 and then this will you allow to communicate in the 21st century:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W00t

New ford blocks are good for the class regardless of what engine anyone is running.

Are all your statements & positions so misinformed?
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    New ford blocks are good for the class regardless of what engine anyone is running.
    Bingo! (As we said back in the 20th century, before Al Gore invented w00t.)
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Honda, Honda Rah! Rah!
    Ford, BOOO! HISS!
    reminds me of the pot and the kettle idiom...

I believe one can be pro-Honda without being anti-Ford. I own a bit of Ford stock. Own a Ford powered motorhome. Have owned a Ford Truck. I'm not anti-Ford. I just happen to believe that the Fit is good for the class. Too bad you seem to have a problem with that.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    reminds me of the pot and the kettle idiom...

I believe one can be pro-Honda without being anti-Ford.
    Insisting on the use of a 50-year-old engine in primarily British-built non-production chassis doesn't do much to polish the Blue Oval. But maybe we are confusing devotion to the "old" class name with devotion to the brand. I road and drag raced Mustangs for almost 15 years, own a Ford truck, and am pretty much an all-around die-hard Ford guy. I have never owned a Honda car and don't want one--but they make great generators and pit bikes! I really would like to own a FF with a modern Ford engine, but I would probably take a Honda-powered one before a Kent because my priority is having a cheap, reliable, easily replaced engine.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

sometimes i'm amazed at the tunnel vision. if ford steps up to the plate and brings better parts...GREAT! i hope they do. if the parts bring greater engine longevity and cheaper rebuilds...the class benefits. if they somehow bring more hp, crb will adjust the honda to be close. the place for absolute engine equality is NOT the SCCA and it was never intended to be. there will be other more appropriate avenues for that. BUT, my absolute favorite is someone explain to me how a fuel injected motor is faster INTO a corner it'd be nice if we could save the pissing and moaning until a honda wins a national.

Liked: 99

Default Ford Blocks

We have choices,Honda or Ford.It appears the Honda is getting more competitive all the time.There is no need to argue over something that is not even available yet.When the blocks are out there we will see if it adds more HP or just longevity.I would guess much more longevity than HP.I do realize it is impossible for all the experts on this forum to agree on anything.It is really quite amusing.Roland and others can stay with their Ford Kent engines and anyone who wants a Honda can buy one.It America we all have choices.

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default New Kent Blocks Are Good News

This is, after all, a FORUM. Things get posted, mentioned or "announced", and then people chime in in favor or against. Opinions are expressed. Things are debated. Facts - and non-facts - are laid out for all to ponder. It's energetic, thought provoking, usually interesting (especially the terrific technical things that are discussed and shared) and quite often fun.

But it seems to me that in the end whatever happens with a given part or spec or SCCA decision - well, what happens happens...mostly because the "marketplace" is where things are decided. If Ford wants to offer up a nifty item like this here block, guys will either buy it or they won't. If FF1600 engines - that is, if TOP NOTCH engines cost $12,000, and if people buy them, that's fine. (The costs are NEVER going to come down now, are they?) If I want to cough up a measly $3,000 for a Regional engine (less than the cost of a super alloy head) that needs some work, I can do that too. Over time, what matters is what the "consumer" wants so things come and go, fads peak and fade away while other things continue to have a life for whatever reasons. This is all about sport, right? An amateur sport at that. Guys buy Miatas and go racing with them. Others rebuild their MG Midget engines every month and race them too. Others just love FF1600 and all that it represents. It's all what you wanna do.

But one other point: None of us can be sure how the FIT deal will work out in the end. It's going to be a topsy-turvy period for the class, that's for sure. Achieving the "ideal" outcome that the CRB envisioned may not be possible in actuality. One thing that is for sure is that one of the most appealing aspects of of FF1600 was its fundamental stability - of the rules. of chassis design and even parts availability. So what we had - a known quantity and with clear and easily perceived qualities - has been thrown for a loop and pushed aside causing controversy, disagreement and an unfortunate level of tension to pervade this class of this sport. To me, that's really regretable.
    Last edited by John Merriman; 07.15.10 at 8:24 AM.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Well said. ^

<on edit> well most of it anyway I'm conflicted because I think the class needed a new motor to bring in more folks. However, I'm not a fan of classes that allow competition adjustments because of the politics, bickering, whining and constantly changing of the rules that comes along with that. Should have introduced the Fit at a "slight disadvantage to a very good Kent" and left it alone. It is what it is. It is what we proposed. Choose your weapon and race.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 07.16.10 at 12:09 PM.

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Do these blocks need to be seasoned and do they even season iron castings anymore?

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Found the answer - I was informed this is now done to engine blocks synthetically to replicate the stress relief within the surface layer of the casting.

Jonathan

Liked: 1

Default OK, I'll play the game

I know it is done, but don't know how they do it? I'm told that back in the late 40's and early 50's Bedford truck engine blocks were left in the sea for a period of time, before machining, and early Massey Fergeson tractor block had a problem with this as well.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Hirst View Post
    Found the answer - I was informed this is now done to engine blocks synthetically to replicate the stress relief within the surface layer of the casting.

Jonathan

Liked: 0

The new Kent blocks are "seasoned" during and after production by modern methods of furnace exposure and controlled air cooling.

Thank you FRP for the confirmation. I was sure there must be a more modern method.

Another question - from someone admittedly well beyond the class weight limit - with the additional material (ring?) connecting the adapter ears and the other changes, I am expecting this new block to weigh more than the original.

Can you publish the machined weight of the new block?

Jonathan --

The final machined weight of the new Kent block is 91 pounds. That includes main caps and bolts.

Default Questions for FRP

I don't have a F Ford but do have a Ford powered car.

How large can you safely bore this new 1.6L block?
    Are the main cap bolts anything special?

Regarding the short deck "optional" block, why are you referring to it as a 2 litre? How large can it be bored?

Thanks.

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by sevenhead View Post
    I don't have a F Ford but do have a Ford powered car.

How large can you safely bore this new 1.6L block?
    Are the main cap bolts anything special?

Regarding the short deck "optional" block, why are you referring to it as a 2 litre? How large can it be bored?

Thanks.
    For all the straight scoop on what can be done, contact Jay Ivey at Ivey Engines. He has done a lot of development work on this block with Ford Morotsport.

http://www.iveyengines.com/
    Last edited by DanW; 08.29.10 at 9:47 PM.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 23

Woohoo. They exist and making noise.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y232nr3EOSQ
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 36

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Woohoo. They exist and making noise.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y232nr3EOSQ
    Will that engine be in someone's car at the Runoffs?
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Default Ford Block

Well, I got on here to post a link to our website showing the updates I posted yesterday but you guys are too quick. That engine will not be at the runoffs. It was built on the first block that Ford sent us to see how everything fit. It makes comparable power to the old block. The only difference is these blocks will be readily available, more reliable, and new. Here is a link to where that video is embedded, this page also has some pictures of the block before it was assembled. http://www.iveyengines.com/FordRacing.htm
    Thanks, Cameron Ivey

Block Brochure from the runoffs block intro meeting.

Jonathan
    Last edited by Jonathan Hirst; 09.30.10 at 3:25 PM. Reason: Wrong Keith credited with source....

Liked: 34

Default new blocks are legal

FF
    1. #469 (Andy Slankard) New FF Kent Block by Ford Racing
    Provisional approval was given to a new alternate block for the Kent engine (see Member Advisory in the April 2010
    Fastrack). The required inspection and testing has been completed successfully.
    In 9.1.1.D.1.b, add a new section as follows:
    “4. The Ford Racing block, part number M-6010-16K, is permitted as a replacement part.”

SCCA FasTrack News October 2010 Page 12

Default Link

I went to the ford racing parts web site and noticed that they actually have two blocks, one for FF and one to replace the block used by the Lotus Twin Cam (shorter stroke, larger bore).

Paul

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default New Ford block

I've got to admit that I was skeptical when Ford said they would produce a new block. I'm glad they did, and the availability of a new block will do nothing but help FF. Competition is good--even in parts production!

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    I've got to admit that I was skeptical when Ford said they would produce a new block. I'm glad they did, and the availability of a new block will do nothing but help FF. Competition is good--even in parts production!
    Exactly my thoughts. Well done to everyone involved with making this a reality.

Liked: 942

Default Comparable cost

The cost for a new block is comparable to the cost of Jay resurrecting an old core, sleeving and reboring it. Then you get all of the improvements too.

Thanks Jay!
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT View Post
    I went to the ford racing parts web site and noticed that they actually have two blocks, one for FF and one to replace the block used by the Lotus Twin Cam (shorter stroke, larger bore). Paul
    Direct Link to the Ford Racing Parts web page.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Runoffs Broadcast

Someone should have let the guys broadcasting on SpeedCastTV know that Ford was making a new block as he mentioned a couple of times during the broadcast that the parts for the Kent engine are very hard to find and the blocks are no longer available except in junkyards which is why the class is moving to the Honda power.

That was Dorsey Schroeder who amply demonstrated how out-of-touch he now is with the SCCA which gave him his start. He must have been reading from a Honda PR release given to the announcers.

The announcers made basic technical and class rules errors all weekend, showing how out of touch they were with all amateur formula car classes. Honda or Ford PR had nothing to do with that.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default having fits

funny thing is that you probably can't find Ford engines at "junkyards" like i used to do

whereas you can find a Fit!

i suspect that within three to five years we will find most of the current chassis that have conversion kits avaliable for them (from Honda) will be Honda powed and that used Ford blocks will overwhelm the market leaving Ford Racing holding the bag so to speak...they reacted too slowly too late in the game

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    used Ford blocks will overwhelm the market leaving Ford Racing holding the bag so to speak...they reacted too slowly too late in the game
    The world Kent market is an awfully large bag when compared to the relatively small portion which make up the US Honda converts.

Personally I look forward to being able to buy a new FF shortblock off the engine builders shelf rather than having to BYOBlock and fill it with new components.

Jonathan
    Last edited by Jonathan Hirst; 10.01.10 at 5:01 PM. Reason: Grammer

Has anyone yet driven one of these new blocks on track? If so any feedback? Power on the dyno doesn't always translate to the track! On the dyno are they about the same as an old 711M block?

What is the price of these blocks?

Cheers and Merry Christmas everyone!

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default FF block info

Hamish, the block price is $1299 US as noted in a Ford Racing post above. If you run through the interesting and extensive discussions in this thread about whether the blocks will make more power, I think you'll see that the highly reasonable, informed and sane conclusion is that they will not make more power.

Liked: 490

Hamish, there are two guys that I know of that have put several races on the new blocks. They can't tell the difference.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Thanks gentleman for your answers and Merry Christmas to you all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information