Liked: 4

Default Adding Fuse Block to Vintage Elec System

I am in the process of completely remaking the wiring harness for my vintage Lola T-200. The only circuit protection in the whole assembly now is a single fusable link, whihc seems inadequate to me. I am considering putting in a small fuse block to make a couple of individual circuits. I am thinking about a four position fuse block for ATC style fuses. Any comments from the group whether this is a good or bad idea would be appreciated? Also if you have alternative ideas on how I might upgrade the protection in the system, including part types you would recommend, that would also be appreciated?

Thanks

Nathan

Liked: 553

I'm rewiring my car now, so I'm glad you started this thread.

I've never had fuses on any of my race cars. I think it was Carroll Smith who said, if you wire the car correctly, there's no need. And I've heard stories where fuses ended peoples' races.

However, having said that, I would be interested in hearing reasons why it would be a good idea to have fuses is some situations.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 5

I fused the rain light after it was hit and shorted out causing the insulation to melt, will also be looking to see what people think as i am planning on rewiring my FF with a kit that i got from Averill.
    Thom
    Back to fenders=SRF

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by thomschoon View Post
    .... rewiring my FF with a kit that i got from Averill.
    I wouldn't expect the Averill kit to have fuses in it. Unless you have head lights, tail lights, windsheild wipers, heater blowers, etc. NO NEED for fuses. They are just a 'weak link' in the wiring system.

Besides, this is a Vintage car. Nothing electrical on it unless the local vintage club makes you add a rain light.
    Last edited by rickb99; 12.26.10 at 10:42 PM.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

If one has the irresistable urge to use fuses, I would suggest breakers instead, mounted where the driver can reach them in case one false trips.

Liked: 157

Default Fuses would be correct for the period the car ran in

Breakers not so much. I am saying this with a grin. I can imagine someone looking at your dash mounted breaker array and wincing at the use of modern gizmos in a vintage car

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    .... I can imagine someone looking at your dash mounted breaker array and wincing at the use of modern gizmos in a vintage car
    Guarantee you no fuses or circuit breakers would be allowed in SOVREN. They are Soooo retentive about period correct, if there is gasoline available from when your car was originally racing you better be using it (and that's ALL pre 1969 for sedans pre 1972 for Formula Cars and pre 1979 for Exhibition cars of serious historical significance! )

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

I use an aircraft breaker in the rain light circuit, and they've been around since WWII.

Liked: 29

I run a single resettable breaker on my car, I hate fried wiring... but if it's an intermittent short a simple reset and I'm still running. Dash mounted, looks like it belongs - industrial grade used in lots of different equipment, used to vibration & harsh environments. Looks just like the surplus breakers I used in my first race car in the 70's... they came from 50's vintage aircraft.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Hey John,

What's the Reynard doing waaay out there on the FIA curbing??

Quote Originally Posted by azjc View Post
    I run a single resettable breaker on my car, I hate fried wiring... but if it's an intermittent short a simple reset and I'm still running. Dash mounted, looks like it belongs - industrial grade used in lots of different equipment, used to vibration & harsh environments. Looks just like the surplus breakers I used in my first race car in the 70's... they came from 50's vintage aircraft.
    John, got a link or a picture, or good Google search terms?

Thanks.

Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    Hey John,

What's the Reynard doing waaay out there on the FIA curbing??

Just using all the road , just glad the old sedan driver in me doesn't surface and make me drive with two wheels in the dirt (or better put - in the gravel) . Or is it those VERY old slick tires that have less grip then a decent street tire ?
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

I got a couple of PM's (Thank you). They suggest if you have expensive items to protect (ECU, data logger), fuses or breakers are a good idea.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 4

Default More Information on Resetable Breakers

Thanks for the tip about resettable breakers, this sounds like a great way to go. The idea of having the reset easily accessible on the dash makes perfect sense. Aircraft Spruce has several varieties, has anyone used either the Tyco or Klixon types, and can recommend one of them for use?

Thanks All

Nathan

Thread Information