Liked: 0

I looking to buy an fc and I have two cars I am looking at, '88 Swift SE3 and a 95 model Euroswift Db.

I am looking for a good mid pack car as I am on a limited budget wanted to know if the 88 model would do the job considering the age of the car and the fact that it a rocker car vs. a push rod car. Any advice would be much appreciated. There is a significant price difference between the two cars, however, if the 88 model is not competitive or if it is difficult to get parts, then the newer model may be the way to go. Thank you for your help.

I won the SARRC Championship with an 88' Swift SE-3 in 2001, and the current points leader this year is driving an 85' Swift DB-3. The cars are fast, but they won't hang w/ a good pushrod car. Any Swift is going to be hard to find parts for, but they are out there if you know where to look. It all depends what you want to do. CFC-go for the swift, FC-go for the pushrod car.
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

I think it is also important to point out the CFC division is not in all regions (they dont have it up here in the MARRS series). So competeing in a older swift in the FC division, as stated above, you will not be able to keep up with the puhrods. Im not sure if they have CFC in Texas. Depending on your budget, it sounds like a early VD would be a good choice. Check out Tab M's 92. ALso, as I just started out, it is a good thing to get as much as you can, as little things (start up support equipment) will nickel and dime you to death. I purchased an entire package from a guy that was retiring. I dont know what support equip. you already have, but I had none, and it was the best decision I made. Quick jacks, jack stands, data retrieval tools, spares, etc. add up quick.

Robert

Forgot one thing. Advise that was passed on to me by many other guys, is a VD is probably the best way to go because of the multitudes of them and the part accessability, especially in the paddock during a race weekend. There are plenty of good cars for sale in the for sale section

Robert

Liked: 3787

There are thousands of posts in the archives of this site. Spend many hours reading, and you will save a ton of money, and even more time.

There is an article for beginners purchasing first cars at:
    www.formularacingservices.com

First, figure out what you can really afford to spend the first year. Realize that the car is only a small part of the equation (unless you are buying it just to store in your garage and show off to guests).

Then figure out what you want to accomplish. Balance that against your budget, then re-determine what you want to accomplish. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Being competitive in a given class may not be a priority in the first year while you are trying to earn a license, and get experience. In that situation, having a solid well prepped car is more important than having the latest world beater.

Then in the second year, if you are not broke, divorced, or scared half to death... you can lay out another budget, and another goal.

Data?? What's data? I thought it was what comes through my earphones. (Go Faster, Go Faster!!!) [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

Liked: 68

El Guapo has a question. Are pushrod cars allowed in CFC? If not, perhaps this would make the choice easier. Good luck.

EG

CFC is open to any '90 or earlier FC. The 90 VD's were front pushrod/rear rocker as were the 90 DB6's. These are all legal in CFC in Cal Club and belive in South East. You can go fast cheap with this class!!
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Cheap is a relative term. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Maybe it isn't a good idea, but I have been keeping a running spreadsheet of every cent I have spent on racing since I came back to the sport in 1998.

First, realize I am the self proclaimed "King o' Cheap". I race in CFC. I do almost all my wrenching, including engine building. Buying new tires is almost against my religion. We camp a lot, or bum guest passes to a lot of friend's homes. And these costs do not include the cost of the tow vehicle. And to brag a bit, we have had no DNFs in the last 21 races, so there hasn't been a lot of crash damage.

With those disclaimers said, In the past 49 months, I have spent $46,843.72. We have entered 32 races on 24 different weekends.

That works out to:
    $1,464 per race
    or
    $1,952 per weekend

Draw your own conclusions as to whether it is cheap or not.

But... I venture to say I am in the lowest 1% for spending, and if you can't squeeze those numbers, look for another sport.

Hey Frog,

Are those #'s including the initial capital infusion, I.E. cost of the car/ trailer?

Robert

Yes, those numbers reflect cost of car, trailer, canopies, special tools, licensing fees... you name it. If it had to do with racing, I logged it. Nuts, bolts, tape, gas to get to the track, yadda, yadda, yadda.

OBTW, It's about $48.80 per lap. [img]smile.gif[/img]

To be real positive about it... If I jumped out, I might be able to get $10,000 for the infrastructure on the used market. So then it would compute out to $1,151. per race.

But, who's quiting?

Rule of thumb:
    After you own the infrastructure (car/trailer/etc), at the start of the year I usually budget $1,000 per race weekend (or $1,600 if I buy new tires). The actual weekend may not cost that, but you have to be banking some for engine refreshes, wear and tear, etc.

[size="1"][ August 01, 2002, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Purple Frog ][/size]

OBTW, It's about $48.80 per lap. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Per mile?

You mentioned the 1,000 a race number to me a while ago and it is a solid # to work with. I have been averaging about the same when you build in the post season rebuilds, etc... This is of course with Frog's campaign slogan: "read my lips, no new tires!"

Jake,
    Please note that there is no CFC or CF for that matter in SOWDIV, so if you are wanting to be competitive, then you need to look at who you are going to run with. That said, I know the two cars you are looking at and bang for the buck the 96 Euroswift is the better deal. Parts are readily available in the SOWDIV and there are other cars that will be at the track with spares you don't have. The SE-3 will be harder to find spares for since it is also MK9 based instead of LD200. Good luck in your hunt....the FC and FF guys are great to run with....

Dave
    Dave Harris
    dave.harris@daveharrismotorsports.com
    http://www.daveharrismotorsports.com

Hey guys, thanks for all your help. There is definitely something to be said about the racing family who are more than willing to help with advice and just another reason I wanted to get back into the sport. I am much farther along having all of your information that I was 2 weeks ago.

I have pretty much come up with about the same costs per race and would probably run no more than 5 or 6 times a year considering the expense involved, however, considering the car is in good working order, I would think that the expense would be less. Not including hotel and travel expenses I would think the expense would be fuel and entry fees unless a part either failed or damaged during the race.

I sure would like to see the southwest region host a CFC class which sounds like it would be right up my alley with regard to the expense. Are the Formula Fords about the same with regard to expense?

Thanks again for all your help.

Jake send me email at f2tab@main-net.com

Jake,
    Formula Fords and Club Fords are about the same in operational costs. At FFU they will say you save money by not having wings. But my wing expenses in the last 4 years have been minor. Both classes suffer from relatively high motor maintenance costs.

Also, don't fool yourself, those costs I showed have been with well prepared cars. Else there wouldn't be 21 straight finishes. Don't think a well prepared car in January stays that way into July without cost.

Tab has been in it longer than me. The guy loves racing. But it appears, as we say in the orange groves, the juice isn't worth the squeeze for him anymore. Email him for his views.

WOW! Frog you must be rich! I bet you have 2 tv's at your house to huh. I thought I taught you better than that. Spend a season in my wallet and you'll be able to buy steak at the races [img]smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ August 02, 2002, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Tab M ][/size]

Thread Information