Liked: 0

Wanted To Buy FF Wanted for CM Autocross class

Hi,

I'm a noobe here, so please forgive me if any of my questions are not too bright.

I currenly autocross a Porsche Boxster.

I'm looking for an inexpensive FF to use (mostly) in the CM autocross class. The car should be "ready to race", cost less than $10K (the lower the better) and come with a trailer. I would like to race it on track once or twice a year in addition to autocrossing it.

I'm in the Sacramento area of CA. I saw a nice car here on Apex, but it was in FL.
    I'd really like to find one here on the west coast.

My questions:

1) Am I being realistic in the above requirements?

2) Can anyone point me to a knowledgeable shop in my area for parts & maintenance?
    (I can do a lot of basic maintenance myself, but I don't know enough about
    suspension setup for example.)

3) Based upon my research here, so far, I'm considering:
    a Van Diemen RF85 to 88 or
    a Reynard 83/84 or 87/88
    What other cars would you recommend? I'm most concerned with parts availability,
    ease of maintenance and potential re-sale at a later date.

Thanks,
    Mark

Liked: 238

Have you looked here:
    http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/359114.aspx
    Haven't looked at it recently but there may still be some cars there.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

That car from FL would still be a good deal if it were inspected by someone locally, then crated and shipped.

It looks like we are again growing the contingent of CM cars on the west coast.

Liked: 948

Default Local to you

Mark,

This car is near you and the seller is open to offers. It is very competitive in Club Ford and is well known in the SF Region, formerly owned by Neil Porter. You could easily take it to drivers school and race in SF Region as delivered.

Its recommended to put an integral first gear in the gearbox for autocross and buy a set of soft compound tires for reliable and competitive C Mod autocrossing.

Give the Lampkins' a call to see if its still for sale.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...t=lampkin+lola

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Reynards

Consider any Reynards--even the dubious 85 Reynard can do well for what you want to do. The major benefits of Reynard are that they are easy to work on, easy to drive, not particularly sensitive to set-up, and the biggie--parts are available!

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Default Been There, Done That

Mark,

I just went through the process of finding a FFord to autocross. Like you, I found a lot of cars on the other side of the country (I live in Idaho). I also asked about cars to consider (on this site) and got the usual list plus the Lola T640 series which did well in the past.

I found an '84 Reynard in Salt Lake City and was ready to buy it when a fellow from Reno contacted me regarding his Lola T644. He was currently autocrossing it (which meant he'd dealt with changing 1st gear and installed softer springs). He was willing to sell me the car for $5500, delivered. So, your $10,000 limit is very doable.

The Reynard may still be available if you're interested (email me). The selling price was $6000.

Hope this helps,
    Mike Billings
    fmod9@msn.com

Liked: 9

I'll second the notion of Reynards other than '83/'84. I'm in the process of acquiring an '82 (is should show up in my garage over the July 4 weekend) and the car is very easy to drive and seems pretty fast for autocross.

I'm paying $6k for car / spares / trailer for a log booked car that has been autocrossed exclusively since '95. I'm getting both autocross gears and road race gears (limited selection of higher speed ratios). I think you can find what you want for under $10k

I'd be ecstatic to see another C Mod car out on the west coast!

Mike B. - See you in Packwood for Tour?

Andy H.

Thanks everyone for your input. Keep it coming. Andy, I would be all over a deal like the one you described.

Thanks,
    Mark

Liked: 11

The chassis you have focused on looking for are all strong candidates for autocrossing. The in-board suspension cars obsoleted by the Swift DB-1 are plentiful and affordable being that the do not have a competitive road racing home.

If looking at newer cars make sure you stick w/ a Hewland Mk9 gearbox. The later model Hewland LD200 does not have the lower gear choices available and will become a more costly alternative to properly set-up. Taylor Race Engineering's website will be of great assistance when seeing what gears are available.

Come and join the fun of runing CM. The performance and operating costs of the cars can not be beat in comparison to running a stock class car.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Just to echo what Pete said, I recently sent in my dampers and engine for inspection and rebuild. After 10 years on the car, everything is in pretty good shape.

Autox seems to be easy on these cars - just suspension bushings and wheel bearings are your big wear items I suppose. Oh, and if you dialed in a lot of ackerman, your rack bushings may need more frequent attention as well.

Is there a time of year when more cars are available? I figure during the summer, people are racing not selling. Do a lot more cars come up for sale in the fall?

Mark

Mark,

As it happens, I have a Dulon MP21 for sale in Idaho. It fits in your price range and I have autocrossed it since I bought the car in 1995. Mike Billings, who responded earlier knows this car and can advise you honestly. If you will provide me with an e-mail address, I will forward the info with pictures.

RaySir

Liked: 9

Mark,
    Did you find a CM car? We want more drivers to play with.
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Not yet. But I am still looking. Would like to find one of:

'85 or '86 Van Diemen
    OR
    '83 or '84 Reynard

on the west coast.

Liked: 80

Well I'm telling you, if all the people that said there going to buy a FF for CM class and are buying them to drive on the west coast and come out to most of the events, it will be very fun class here on out.

Ben
    Last edited by CM/FFdriver; 12.11.11 at 11:33 PM.

Thread Information