Liked: 190

Default FST to Start Racing at Nationals?

I'm sure most have read through the just released July 2010 FasTrack? On page 4 of the BOD meeting minutes, you'll see the approval for a pilot/test program out in Rocky Mountain Div where they are allowing for Regional classes to be on the track in National race groups. Here is a quote:

[FONT=ArialMT][FONT=ArialMT]Combined National/Regional Event[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=ArialMT][FONT=ArialMT]Discussion: Want to combine Regional and National on track in same sessions, for Practice, Qual and Racing. Need [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][FONT=ArialMT]specific exceptions to GCR to allow this request (waiver to GCR language about separate Reg/Nat Qual and Race). Club [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][FONT=ArialMT]Racing concern: Sessions must meet National event specs.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial-BoldMT][FONT=Arial-BoldMT]Motion: [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=ArialMT][FONT=ArialMT]to accept as presented in BoD agenda allowing concurrent Regional and National event. Specifically waiver for [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][FONT=ArialMT]Colorado (Sept 4-5) and Utah (Aug 14-15), two events max, as pilot with caveat that sessions must meet National racing [/FONT][FONT=ArialMT]time specs. Club Racing to specify GCR sections that require waiver. Kephart/Langlotz - Approved All[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT]Pilot Program for combining Regional and National Events[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT]GCR Waiver needed for 3.1.1.B.4.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT]Rationale for approval from BOD.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT]The BOD was approached by the leadership of Colorado Region for a waiver for Colorado and Utah Regions to each hold [/FONT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT]one-time trial events that combine a Regional and National event in a manner that allows event sessions and groupings [/FONT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT]to include both Regional and National drivers and classes. If successful, the experience gained from these trial events [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT]may result in a formal request to the CRB for rules changes to support giving our regions this flexibility going forward. The [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT]BOD applauds the creativity of Colorado Region in presenting a well thought out recommendation and believes these pilot [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT]events will provide important data for our regions and our events going forward.[/FONT][/FONT]

I see this as a very positive direction. My bet is that in a short time, progressive classes like FST will be racing at National events. This will make this class grow like a wildflower.

Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Hopefully this is a step in the eventual direction of combining R/N into a single class of events. Being able to race your car (whether it's FST, IT, etc.) at any SCCA sanctioned event would be a bonus.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

The thing I really like about this proposal, is that it does not mess with the class structure. Cars running these events would not need to change anything, they would stay a regional class, it just allows you to go to National racing events. I know that in a situation like that, our race numbers would pop up to 20 per event in a heartbeat.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 0

My two cents - aside from the potential to grow the class, I also see an opportuntiy to race more - which would be good. As far as I know, there are NO regional races in Wisconsin/Illinois between the Milw. Mile - 6/5&6 and RA 7/24&25. We're it not for the FST Series, I'd be unable to race during that period. I'm sure there are plenty of other regional cars/drivers in the same boat.

Question - on the combined Regional/National race events - would a National Comp License be required? I have one so it's no issue to me, just curious.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Default 2011 June Sprints?

I would really like to go to the June Sprints @ RA and compete in my FST, maybe this could be a reality for next year?
    Carl Middelegge
    2007 Evolution MK 1.3 FST

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I would really like to go to the June Sprints @ RA and compete in my FST, maybe this could be a reality for next year?

Was thinking the same thing - Be kinda cool to hold an FST Championship Series Race in conjunction with the Sprints - talk about a little bit of expposure for the class and the sponsors!

I'm not seeing a downside to this at all.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    The thing I really like about this proposal, is that it does not mess with the class structure. Cars running these events would not need to change anything, they would stay a regional class, it just allows you to go to National racing events. I know that in a situation like that, our race numbers would pop up to 20 per event in a heartbeat.
    You should be able to race any SCCA legal car at any SCCA sanctioned event. The whole regional/national split is obsolete IMO.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

If we started to see these "combo" events (I'd bet next year), you will need a National licence. No doubt it would give us a ton of choices for our series races. I'm sure that Chicago region would love to increase entries for the Sprints in the FV/F500 group. We could almost double the size of that race group.

Who knows, I'm sure there will be a few dozen "stick in the mud" purest types who will protest the crap out of this move.
    Bill Bonow

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Who knows, I'm sure there will be a few dozen "stick in the mud" purest types who will protest the crap out of this move.

Bill official new nickname - "Captian Obvious!" sorry - couldn't resist
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Default advantages abound

One bonus advantage would be to the regions that put on races.

We have had very low turnouts for some events recently due to the economy, to the point that the regions have lost money on the events.

If regions lose money on an event, I would think that they would not run it the following year. Seems to me that track owners need to schedule their weekends pretty far in advance in order to get as much use out of the facility as they can. So if a region asks or reserves a specific date, they need to pay for it, even if no one shows up.

This would allow for more drivers to enter races at venues they like, rather than having to tow extended distances to get to a regional-level event.

not sure how I feel about requiring a national license for coemined events-- seems like a catch-22. Why allow combined events, but require a higher level license?

Maybe have split starts for each group?? start the national drivers in a group first for their race and the regional drivers after some acceptable distance between them (1/4 track distance or so???)

I would have to pass this by the timing/scoring group since they will have the biggest headache with combining reg/nat. makes two of everything for them in the same amount of time to complete the results after a race.

Liked: 391

Nothing against FST's specifically, and I agree that perhaps the regional / national structure needs to be looked at. But I seriously don't want regionals combined with nationals at this point. There are already too many classes running on a national weekend. The debate for years is how to eliminate national classes. Throwing in the 20 or so regional classes into a national weekend would undermine all that has been done to eliminate and streamline the national weekends.

So I'm the stick in the mud I guess, but I don't want to be on the track with 5 classes.

Liked: 309

Thanks for highlighting this, Bill...I totally missed it!

During the last year I was on the CRB (2008) we were tasked by the BoD to come up with options for increasing car counts at races. One option was to eliminate the distinction between the two types of events...all GCR classes had to be invited to each event, plus whichever additional classes the Region wished to invite. Everyone who entered a certain minimum number of events and held a National license was automatically invited to the Runoffs, such as is the case in Solo.

Another option varied that theme to allow all classes to be invited to all events, with the competitor selecting whether to enter as a National or Regional competitor. Do the required number of races and get invited to the Runoffs.

Sounds like the BoD is trying out that second option.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    But I seriously don't want regionals combined with nationals at this point.
    Mike,

From my reading of this program, it would not be a manditory deal. It reads like the host region gets the option of adding regional classes to their National weekend without adding additional race groups. Sure, your on the track with more classes in a given group, but your not losing track time due to more race groups specifically added for regional classes (the current situation). It would even add track time based on some "restricted Regional/National" schedules I have seen.

The main reason a host region would take this option is for one reason, to keep the weekend finacially positive (and give us a place to race next year). My bet is that given the option, host regions will be all over this like stink on poop.
    Bill Bonow

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default Regional/National

Before you all get excited - this is a test to see if it works in areas with particular attendance issues, not a move to merge the two programs. Competitors complained that they could not get the required track time on a conventional regional / national weekend.

Further to Stans comment above we actually want to enhance the National Racing program rather than merge regional and national events and you will see a fairly extensive proposal from the planning committee later in the summer, to be adopted for 2011.
    Phil

Thanks Phil, I think you did a better job of explaining. Kudos to the BOD!

As I see it, Regionals are the same and Nationals are the same. This simply gives the option to a host region to run Regional classes in National race groups. The motivation being to fill out lightly subscribed groups.

Again, I see this test as a very positive step forward. I'm looking forward to reviewing the planning committee proposal.
    Bill Bonow

Default License Requirements

"Question - on the combined Regional/National race events - would a National Comp License be required? I have one so it's no issue to me, just curious."

As I understand it, If you are running for regional points your car will be carry an 'R' designation and an 'N' if competing in the national race. The license requirements are no different. Regional drivers need a Novice permit / Regional license, 'National' competitors need a National license.

This is an effort to get car counts back up to a profitable level. Since qualifying for the runoffs has been eliminated, the RMDiv expects car counts at our National Races to be significantly reduced. And, since the economy is in the crapper, car counts at our Regional weekends are slipping.
    We typically get 4 or 5 FFs and 4 or 5 FVs for our National weekends, we get 10 or 12 CFs and 5 or 6 FVs for the regionals.

Entry fees will be less than a typical National but more than a typical Regional. This has been discussed for months in the RMDiv and we think we have the issues addressed.
    Kudo's to Joe Gilmore (RMDiv RE) and the entire BoD for thinking 'outside the box'

I invite all you FST guys out to High Plains Raceway this Labor Day for the "Last Chance Rationals". It's a terrific track operated by a terrific bunch of folks.
    We would love to see you. check out (www.coloradoscca.org)

Thread Information