Liked: 157

Default Montreal F1600 Weekend

The temptation to go again this year was too great. 2007 was one of the most fun racing weekends I ever had, so my entry fee went in bright and early.

Thursday morning, 8 Am departure from Connecticut was the plan. All loaded up I went around the trailer and SUV to check tire pressures and find a substantial embolism on one valve stem. Jack up the truck, demount the tire from the rim and replace the valve stem, rebalance the wheel and off we go . LESSON1. Valve stems need to be replaced when a street car gets new rubber. Don't cut corners to save a few bucks

One hour into the 6 hour ride up we stop for coffee and a check of the rig. I always put a hand on each tire to look for excessive heat buildup from underinflation, puntures or brake drag. One of the trailer tires is hot, a swap to the spare is executed and we find that the tread is partially delaminated and the tire gets the nickname 'lumpy'. LESSON2. Don a nitrile glove before doing the tire temperature survey, there is a lot of urine resiudue on the tire surface when you park in the trailer/truck lanes.

Arrived at the track after a simple and friendly border crossing. LESSON3, have a printout of the trailer inventory handy for the inspector to look at and stamp and sign.

Got to bike around the track and look at the F1 cars up close as they did pitstop practices and final FIA checks. LESSON4. If you go to the F1 weekend as a F1600 competitor, make sure you get there on Thursday afternoon to do the pit walk

Friday had us on track at the end of the day and all went well. I got to drive on the Dunlops again for the first time in two years and also worked on learning the turn-in and braking points. Two laps before session end, the engine developed a bit of a valve tick. Thought that it might be a rub on the valve cover or a loose adjuster. Diagnostics lead to cam/lifter failure and it was absolutely clear from the following diagnostic innovation by Steve Fog on my crew. Put the car in gear with the rockers off and the pushrods in their holes. Roll the car so that the engine turns over. At the same time feel each pushrod as it goes through its stroking motion. The failing cam lobe/lifter pairs have a destinct crunch to them, while the healthy ones have smooth actuation. LESSON5. Diagnose the situation with all the ideas you can bake up. LESSON6 might be that conventional synthetics are no longer good enough for our engine needs. Many a wise man came by to tell me about a horror story with brand name synthetics and cam failure. To date I have never had this problem and I have had an FF of some sort for 17 year now. Friday AM did include an oil change with a brand new can of Mobil1 Extended Life. From now on I will try RedLine or Joe Gibbs based on the wisdom I was given

LESSON7. Britain West is a class act
    LESSON8. David Clubine who owns BW is a gem. He helped me in every way he could. Thanks! Thanks!! Thanks!!!

7;30 Friday evening we commited to pull the engine, clean out what we could and install a cam and lifter set bought from Britain West. The engine was bakc together and ready fo install at midnight. LESSON9. If your crew guys are nuts and competent, you can get a lot done with a bucket of whole grain gold fish and some wine and beer instead of an upscale Montreal restaurant visit. Thanks to Mike, Steve, Rob and Jessica!

Saturday morning the thrash continued and we missed Qualifying by about a 1/2 hour. So what, we start Race1 40th. Race1 was mayhem. The gridding and start were botched in every way. Cars sitting on the grid overheating. Crews not being allowed to the cars to hook up jump batteries, then the crash at the start line. A rolling start was employed based on the lack of experience of a lof of the field. I had looked forward to a standing start, but it was not my call. Some guys up front hooked into each other and tore up a few cars. This brought out a red flag, so a regrid with even worse overheating for most ensued. LESSON10. Make sure your car starts reliably and you can turn it off a few times and get it restarted. Mine did, but I did not plan on it.

Race1 finally gets going and a rythm sets in. I am able to make up some places early and then settle in to battle a few mid 90's Van Diemens who are too quick to draft by, but are running the same lap times. Two laps to go a guy behind me takes a lunge at turn 14 and I let him in only to be hit by another guy who thought that he could come from even more car lengths back and make it stick. The cars are locked together and we spin off to the runoff area and get dragged to safety by a team of marshalls. Guy is gratious about his late dive and we shake hands. The Royale is intact except for side body damage. His more modern car is a bit deranged, but fixable. Contact was all rubber to steel. Fortunately not tire to tire as we both estimate that it would have sent him up in the air. Final position was 28th, in spite of not completing the last two laps

Saturday night repairs went quickly and the crew got a night on the town. LESSON11. Remember to go into town on a race weekend and have some fun! The place was electric with live music and great dining and drinking spots

Sunday early morning Race2 was a lot of fun. Some crashes, but nothing more than local yellows. Got passed under the yellow twice (annoying). Made two mistakes, by running off at turn 7/8 and spinning at the hairpin while trying too hard. Finished in 18th overall with the oldest car in the field. LESSON12. I really still believe that Dunlops are the way to go for FF/NCF. LESSON13, consider going up to the Trois Rivier event to run with this gang again. Hard racing, good teams, Dunlops and 40 FF's on the grid.
    Last edited by Roux; 06.15.10 at 9:07 PM.

Steve, thanks for the write-up, sounds like you had the time of your life. If they have the FFs up there again next year we will have to make the trip.

Congrats on a great finish on Sunday.

Tom

Liked: 23

Good show Steve. Sorry we weren't pitted next to you again this year so we could return all the help you provided when I had my woes at that event in 2007. Agree in Britain West...David took my flywheel after the event in 2007, fixed it and had it at my hotel in Mont Tremblant for the next event. Saved me a ton of aggro getting it in and out of customs had I sent it home for repair between events.

Now if we can just convince one more sanctioning body to allow the Honda...

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Default Might we see you in the car for a change?

Tom,

I had fun. The car is not really competitive, but the fun factor is massive. The Dunlops really are my favorites. The top teams in this series are really on their game. Would be interesting to see top SCCA guys go up against them.

Borrow the car for the weekend and put yourself in the seat for a change! What about Three Rivers later this year??? Or Montreal with Nascar? which unfortunately coincides with my wifes birthday and her weddng anniversary. I am trying to figure out the right way to sell the romantic weekend to her. It is after all Montreal!

By the way the Monaco photos were awe inspiring. Your wife went all out, you lucky dog!!

Tim, we missed you!

The F1 circus is really worth soaking up, expecially in an era of multiple teams who can run hot and win a string of races, and team mates who are not far off of each others pace. A good era in F1 and so much fun to see live.

Liked: 799

Hopefully this photo upload works....

Liked: 7

Default Mtl

Bonjour Steve, I see that you had a good time after all, it was nice to see and chat a bit with you again.
    J-Guy

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

Any results posted anywhere?
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Contributing Member

What is the 'M' designation beside the driver's name?
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by old 59 View Post
    What is the 'M' designation beside the driver's name?

The official web site is in French, so I am not sure, but there appears to be a Masters class.
    I can ask my daughter to translate tonight....
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

I believe the "M' is for Masters.

DT

Contributing Member

I was not aware that there was a Masters class in FF. If it does exist what are the criteria?
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

I am not the expert on this, but I believe the Montreal F1 weekend FF race was organized by the Quebec FF group, Formula Tour 1600.

The have created a "Master Class" for which the rules are explained below (hope you are good in french). From what I see, the master class is not based on age of the driver or the car, but rather creates a second points system for drivers whose qualifying/race times are greater than 103% of the pole time.

LA CLASSE MASTER – MASTER CLASS
    Diffusion des règles en MASTER
    Certains de nos membres 2009, nous ont demandé de créer un championnat parallèle afin de permettre aux pilotes qui abordent les saisons de course pour le plaisir et pour participer. Cela ne signifie pas que le désir de vaincre est absent bien au contraire, mais avec le poids minimum de cette série cela aura pour effet de réduire le budget de ceux qui vont faire le MASTER.
    Voici les règles en MASTER:
    • Vous devez signifier lors de votre inscription au championnat FORMULA TOUR 1600 (en cochant la case MASTER) sur le formulaire approprié (aller sur notre site WEB ou celui de la FSAQ)
    • Le poid minimum est de 1140 lbs pilote embarqué.
    • Seuls les pilotes qui réalisent des temps de qualifications et de course supérieurs à 103% du meilleur temps des pilotes inscrits à la série peuvent marquer des points en MASTER.
    Nous conservons le classement général ou tous les pilotes sont classés ensemble, mais la classe MASTER va avoir son propre pointage (classement parallèle). Les 3 premiers en MASTER vont recevoir leurs trophées sur le podium à chaque course et il en est de même lors du banquet annuel.
    POINTAGE/ POINTS
    1. 20 Points
    2. 17 points
    3. 15 points
    4. 13 points
    5. 11 points
    6. 10 points
    7. 9 points
    8. 8 points
    9. 7 points
    10. 6 points
    11. 5 points
    12. 4 points
    13. 3 points
    14. 2 points
    15. 1 point
    Le temps de la pôle donne un ( 1 ) point — Pole Position earns one ( 1 )extra point
    Tous les pilotes qui se sont inscrits, payés et déplacés à un évènement(avec tous leur matériel de course) ont automatiquement 5 points d’accordés pour leur participation. Ceci dans le but d’en courager tous les pilotes, autant ceux qui marquent des points que ceux qui n’en marquent pas pour des raisons de bris mécanique par exemple.
    Each driver who participates to race weekend will have 5 points allowed over point(s) gain after each race
    Bonne préparation à tous/ good preparation all
    source: Fernand Vezina (Directeur technique)

Contributing Member

Thanks Daniel, and no, my French is poor, unfortunately.

It looks as though the minimum weight limit is 1140 lbs as well. Which is too bad because I already have to bolt on 20 lbs to make 1100.
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Liked: 160

Steve Roux,

Thanks for the kind words. It was too bad to see your problems, but great to see you and the crew get in and fix it. Reminded me of the old Esso Protec Pro series days in Canada when people would do anything to keep going on a weekend! Good Work

Steve Adams,

At Montreal they didn't say anything about the 103% for the Masters class, just the 1140lbs. It worked well for Gord Ross, as we had to add 7 lbs to be 1140 with no fuel. He even scored his first win on Sunday. The best was that if you didn't make the 1140, all that happened is you bumped to the other class, so you could cut it as close as you wanted.

A busy, fun weekend for all.

David

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Sadly I/we [F2000] were at Mosport the same weekend, would have loved to join in.

David Clubine missed a part of the story, his father Oliver had a heard attack while at Mosport, how's he doing David ?

Couldn't agree more with Steve regarding the Dunlops, unfortunately it appears to be a non-starter here, but they are a ball to drive on.

Liked: 123

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    Sadly I/we [F2000] were at Mosport the same weekend, would have loved to join in.

David Clubine missed a part of the story, his father Oliver had a heard attack while at Mosport, how's he doing David ?

Couldn't agree more with Steve regarding the Dunlops, unfortunately it appears to be a non-starter here, but they are a ball to drive on.

Oliver does have some issues with his heart, the same way a lot of us do or our parents do, but he did not have a heart attack. I am on the phone with David literally as I type this.

No need to panic like I just did! Man!

Phew!

Brian

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Thanks Brian, good news about Ollie, who was it told me at Mosport that he'd been attacked anyway ?

Liked: 1

Steve,

I was sitting in the stands at the end of the front straight on Saturday. Thanks for being part of a great show!

Geoff

Geoff,

40 Fords all going at it! I heard from my crew guys that it was louder than they expected with so many all at full throttle in a canyon of sorts. I was too busy to notice.

Bring your car next time!

Steve,
    thanks for the great write up... It was unfortunate that we met in corner 14!!! (yep that was me!!) we did however get some good coverage on RDS (the sports network) over.. and over and over again, we made the highlight reel! i am trying to get a copy. We worked almost till 2AM to get us back running for the Sunday event (Thanks a million to Sean and Christine for the fast work and my parents for the pizza and beer!)

Sunday was alot of fun, and i appreciate you coming up to me at the end of the race. i hope you will make it to more FT1600 events.

Just as an FYI, the race was booked by Formula Tour 1600, www.siteformulatour1600.com and this year they have a super calendar. The Quebec and Ontario guys run very similar rules and the fun factor is equal in both Provinces. i strongly recommend for anyone to come to one of the events (i am thinking Calabogie in Ontario or Tremblant in QC)

The "M" does stand for Masters Class. This year the Quebec club initiated the Masters series (a little like the "B" class in Ontario) to allow less experienced drivers or teams with lower budgets to run in a class of their own. the reasoning behind this is to attract new drivers to the sport,
    Rules are pretty simple, cars MUST weigh over 1140lbs, and if you run faster than 103% of the pole, you automatically get put into the regular class. For us Newbies, it gives us some achievable goals and allows us to track our progress.

As for the tire spec, i really believe that Dunlops are the way to go. Same tires for wet or dry. it keeps cost way down and allows for closer competition (due to budget constraints). i heard from alot of people that at F1, the F1600 cars were amongst the most entertaining and aggressive racing (after F1 of course)

Finally... i totally agree with Steve that David Clubine and his family are incredible, their support is invaluable to alot of racers.. myself included.

cheers
    jon

Default Get me a copy!

Jon,

No bad feelings on my end. We were racing hard and ended up in the same place at the same time. I suspect the grip off line going in to 14 was minimal at the end of the day and you only find that out once you are there

If you get a copy of the highlight reel and can post it somewhere that would be great. Or send me a copy.

Someone showed me a photo of one of the giant screens, shot with a cell phone, showing us locked together and ending up on the runoff area. I am impressed that they had all the cameras running and updating even the F1 command centers who get the live feed even during the F1600 race. One of my crew watched our whole race on the monitors of one of the top F1 teams.

I will do at least one more QC event. big fields and similar cars are the big attraction for me

Cheers

Steve

Steve,
    what is your email addy, i will send you a few pics!
    cheers
    jon

Default Addy

steve.roux at Charter.net

thanks

sent

Thread Information