Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 23

Default FF Showcase Watkins Glen Double National Roll Call

Less than 4 weeks until the Double National at the Glen. Already 11 cars registered. Pertinent links are below:

Supps & schedule

Online Registration

Online Registration List

This was selected as a Showcase National prior to it becoming a Double National. To that end, the performance based awards will be for only one national. They will be awarded for the Saturday national only.

Registered drivers as of 6/14/10:

Raymond Boyer, Van Dieman RF92
    Mike Agnifilo, Swift DB6
    Mike Scanlan, Swift DB6
    Bill Valet, Swift DB6
    Daniel Helman, Crossle 25
    Robert Albani, Van Dieman RF00
    Steve Oseth, Citation
    Jeremy Treadway, Swift DB6
    David Petsko, Reynard
    Ross Devoe, Van Deiman RF93
    Art Foster, Van Dieman RF00
    Marc Blanc, Swift DB6
    Joe Parsons, Swift DB6
    Steve Maxwell, Piper DF5
    Dan Pyanowski, Tiga FF81
    Tim Clowater, Euroswift

I will not be able to attend this event. Had investigated flying in like I did for Atlanta to run the raffle but flights/car/hotel are approaching 2/3s of a set of tires (my financial unit of measure), so will either find a volunteer to run it or I will do it remotely. But all awards will be dispersed either way.

Register early and often! Rand--that means you!

Tim
    Last edited by TimW; 07.06.10 at 12:01 PM.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

We're up to 15 cars so far (list updated above) and we all know Rand will enter so there's more to come.

As I mentioned above, I just can't swing flying in for this race so Tom Valet has graciously volunteered to run the raffle. We'll coordinate a time/location as the weekend approaches.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 6

We'd be there, but they have this rule you have to be 18 to drive there...
    Apparently it's a track rule

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default 18 at the Glen

It's some kind of litigation-thing that the Glen management takes to heart. It seems that in New York, the track has some liability in the event of injury to a minor, even if the parent approves and authorizes the minor to drive. Several years ago I recommended that the DC Region NEVER run another MARRS race at the Glen, because we had an aspiring under-18 driver, and his inability to run a MARRS event affected his chances at winning the MARRS series.

The Glen also maintains operational control of the track (at least they did several years ago, and I don't know if it has changed). Their own people can shut down a race or dispatch a wrecker. The SCCA operating steward has no vote in the operation. This is why I refuse to serve as a steward at the Glen.

Once again, the fear of litigation screws up life for a lot of good people.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Tim,
    With great regret I must bow out of the Glen Double.
    I know earlier I said I'd be there to make traffic for the rest but having just spent most of a week there the weekend before, the IRL weekend, with F2000 for Rounds 7 & 8, I need some time to recover !
    The expected field right now is 42 +/- !
    Anyway, this aged creaky geezer ain't gonna go back a few days later, sorry.
    Mike

No worries Mike. I just know how all of us want to be on track with the great one...

BTW, the week between on a lake front cottage could be very recovery inducing...we did that one year.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hull View Post
    We'd be there, but they have this rule you have to be 18 to drive there...
    Apparently it's a track rule

It is a track rule, but it can be gotten around. Not that it's a viable alternative for you Brandon, but a year or two ago a South American (can't remember his name) 16 year old appealed the ruling thru the courts and was allowed to race after signing many waivers and emancipating himself from his parents back home and they got a judge to sign off on the whole thing. I don't know, the lengths some people will go to.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

Victor Carbone from Brazil- Glen National last July- local court signed off for him to race at age 16. He couldn't do the 2009 F2000 race because of the Penske/Marlboro issue at 4th IRL weekend. That's not a problem this year so he'll race the F2KCS race this July 4th.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 977

For what it is worth there is a statue in Indiana which provides the Courts with authority to emanciapte a minor for the exclusive purpose of executing a waiver/release for participation in professional motorsport events. I have done this on a number occasions for young racers, many who were not residents of Indiana. There was also an ugly decision out of Florida early last year which brought into serious question the viability of a properly executed minor release.

John LaRue

We're up to 16 cars now and another Crossle I've been informed will be entering shortly. Should make for a good show.

Note Tom Valet will conduct the raffle. Again, all performance awards will be based on the Saturday event.

Sorry I won't be able to make it for this race...I had originally planned by schedule around this being my primary event but alas things have changed considerably since that original plan A for me. Have a ball guys!

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Late entry fee won't apply until after this coming Saturday. Put that $50 you're about to save towards a round for yourself at the Seneca Lodge. Register early and often.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scanlan View Post
    I don't know, the lengths some people will go to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    It's some kind of litigation-thing that the Glen management takes to heart. snip Once again, the fear of litigation screws up life for a lot of good people.
    Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    Victor Carbone from Brazil- Glen National last July- local court signed off for him to race at age 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    For what it is worth there is a statue in Indiana which provides the Courts with authority to emanciapte a minor for the exclusive purpose of executing a waiver/release for participation in professional motorsport events.
    Wow, that is stunning. But I think the kid is emancipated enough at this point, so he can wait until next year! We hope to do this for a long time so no rush. We are signed up for Beaver Run, however, hope to see some of you there?
    B

Seems the local press is covering the event with session by session updates for at least the Ford group.
    http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...t+Watkins+Glen
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Seems the local press is covering the event with session by session updates for at least the Ford group.
    http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...t+Watkins+Glen
    Very cool. Sorry to hear about Jeremy and Pete tangling, glad both are okay.

Liked: 1432

Updates...anyone??!!

Liked: 4

Default Results Race 1

Treadway
    Foster
    Agnifilo
    Valet
    Scanlan
    Blanc
    Devoe
    Clowter

Margin of victory: 0.328 seconds

Default Glen Race 1 report

The race ran 5 laps green with Jt, Foster, Valet and myself getting out front when the next pack of Agnifilo, Albani, Maxwell, Devoe and Blanc got held up by some F5 traffic at the start. Albani and Maxwell came together on Lap 6 exiting the boot with both cars done for the day. Albani's car is back together for tomorrow, but Maxwell's Piper didn't have a needed part.
    On the restart, Agnifilo's car came alive and he and Blanc drafted by me and he pulled away from Blanc running down Valet on the last lap as Valet's car picked up a termninal push. Nice run for Mike A. I was able to gap him a bit at the start but couldn't keep up after the pace car. Blanc and I passed each other several times over the last 5 laps, alternately using vee and F5 cars as pics. A good clean race that simply ended on the right lap for me.
    I am told that up front that Foster was able to close on JT, but not get by, finishing on his gearbox.
    Sunday race Q2 is at 9 am Sunday, with JT on provisional pole.

More local coverage. Though nothing more than what has already been posted.

http://www.pressconnects.com/article...s-Glen-victory

And, no, I'm not scouring the Internet for glen news, but you can program google to have formula ford news find you.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Top three for Sunday's Race were

1) Treadway
    2) Foster
    3) Scanlan

Congrats to all. I didn't take many photos this weekend, mostly because there are 500 foot catch fences everywhere you would like to shoot.

The racing was tight all the way through the pack, and besides a wicked storm friday night, the weather was absolutely perfect. Unfortunately every race after group 2 on Sunday was shortened to 8 laps after a T2 350z (supposedly, just what I heard) lost its brakes going into the heel of the boot, went through the gravel trap and hit the armco at an extremely high rate of speed. I haven't heard any updates on the driver but I believe he was taken to the hospital.

Blanc headed home after Sunday qualifying after his car apparently ran over a small metal object protruding from a hole at the end of pit lane where you make a U-turn to head back to the paddock. The damage was bad enough to prevent him from entering the race, very unlucky and frustrating to say the least.

Special Happy Birthday to Billy G who turned 69 on Sunday. Thanks to everyone who came to the little shindig during lunch. I believe Billy won both races in his CSR this weekend, congrats to him.

Also thanks to everyone who came to the BBQ saturday night.

Liked: 1432

Thanks for the updates Dennis!

Got any times to post???

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

I don't have the result sheet, but I believe both treadway and foster were in the 2:00.x variety for the sunday race.

Liked: 11

Default from memory

I believe JT had a 2:00.5 and Artie had a 2:00.9 on Sunday. I had a 2:01.9 and most guys were in the 4's with a few 3's. There was, however, a very interesting (and very quick!) qualifying time posted by a certain blue car on sunday!

Also I believe the times on saturday were JT at a 2:00.2??, Artie at a 2:01.1?? and myself at a 2:02.2?? before the car was trying to drive me into the blue guardrail. Most everyone was in the 3's.

I'm sure someone has the time sheet and will post them soon.

It was very hot during both races. Artie was able to keep seriously consistent times all race while JT's tires were going off (but still managed to put in ridiuclous laps to try and gap himself from Artie)

Looks like the split the start on sunday which allowed us to get into traffic pretty quickly.

-Bill Valet
    NeDiv Swift DB-6 #83

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

The split start turned out to be all of about 200 ft
    Last edited by problemchild; 07.13.10 at 6:56 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Default Glen National

Before this gets out of hand, the 2:02.8 Sun morning was mine on stickers with a gear change from the mid 2:03's I ran in the Sat race. As for being stuck in the 2:04's for the Sunday race we tried to chase a track that was picking up a push and ended up with a slightly loose car and not being able to keep up JT, Art and Bill and also having a gap behind me and just 8 laps to deal with we calculated that 2:04's would get me home in 1 piece. It did and Bill's dnf moved me up to 3rd. On another note from the Sunday race I got a great start by tucking in under Foster and was rewarded the next lap by having a ringside seat to watching JT bump Art up the back straight, what a show.
    I've been saying this all along that the 29.0 plate will not be far off at most tracks and that seemed true this past weekend. RA is a different animal. Earlier season testing with larger plates shows that if we go to 29.5 for RA it's not going to change the motor down low, but only at the very top. At the Glen this past weekend that drop off at the top only affected me at the very end of the back straight and nowhere else. A larger plate probably would not have changed my performance at all this past weekend.

Mike,

In no way was I trying to incite a riot! Your times were impressive and were indicative of a well handling car being driven very capably. When getting by you on Sunday it was apparent you didn't have the top end, even on such a short shoot between the toe and heel of the boot.

Congrats again for not only a fantastic drive Saturday, but a well earned podium on Sunday!

-Bill Valet
    NeDiv Swift DB-6 #83

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

bill, got video?

Thanks for the race reports and photos. Sounds like a great dice up front. In our short FF tenure, I haven't ever seen a photo of the #12 car behind another car before :-)
    Sounds like good racing combined with an inordinate spattering of bad luck. Nice podium Mike, that's really encouraging however you came by it!
    See ya'll at Beaver Run?

Default video

Ric,

I'll try and get a hold of the video cards and see what I can come up with.

-Bill Valet
    NeDiv Swift DB-6 #83

Default Glen National

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Valet View Post
    Mike,

In no way was I trying to incite a riot! Your times were impressive and were indicative of a well handling car being driven very capably. When getting by you on Sunday it was apparent you didn't have the top end, even on such a short shoot between the toe and heel of the boot.

Congrats again for not only a fantastic drive Saturday, but a well earned podium on Sunday!

-Bill Valet
    No problem Bill, I knew what you meant, I just wanted to clarify. I also appreciated that you were one of the few who recognized my efforts at the track last weekend. You handled Sunday with a lot of class and that's surely got a lot to do with how well you do run on track.

Liked: 157

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hull View Post
    In our short FF tenure, I haven't ever seen a photo of the #12 car behind another car before :-)

Brandon, I am pretty sure Maxwell is getting lapped there

Sorry Steve-O, couldnt resist!

Liked: 4

Default Steve

Steve,

You should hang that in your shop and tell everyone "Just me kicking JT's ass again..."

Jeremy will get a kick out of it. Don't tell Agnifilo though. He's touchy about these things.

....or send mike an autographed copy

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

I've been TRYING to behave myself on here lately in case you Hyenas haven't noticed.

That could change if you like!

Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Don't worry Mike, the video of sundays race is processing. It shows me passing a honda! (no offense Mike S) Unfortunately I don't have the video card with saturdays race with you passing me (far more entertaining race to watch though, and drive in, I must say)..a certain engineer has it locked up in his shop

-Bill Valet
    NeDiv Swift DB-6 #83

i prefer your input...
    Last edited by ric baribeault; 07.14.10 at 12:37 AM. Reason: brendish

Default Video

Here it is. The majority of Sundays race.

http://www.vimeo.com/13317865

Mike S got a heck of a start (along with Jeremy Morales in the F500) and lead me for most of the lap. He has been working really hard on the set up of his car for a while now (practically the whole season) and it really showed this weekend. All his hard work paid off with some fantastic qualifying times and ultimately a well deserved podium on Sunday. No slouch under the brakes either.

Also a big congrats to JT and Art Foster who were simply FLYING all weekend. Mike A had a fantastic run on Saturday and ran me down to take a podium finish. Great persistence by him,

The weekend on a whole was a blast and reminded me why I do this in the first place. Well...I'm privileged to even be able to sit my narrow ass in a car, so thanks Dad! As always, thanks to Jim Little, Harry Martin, and Jeremy of Drivers Services for really putting in some serious effort this weekend. I would be nowhere near the front without them.

Hope you enjoy the video.

-Bill Valet
    NeDiv Swift DB-6 #83

thanks bill. good drive. we will definitely be there next year

Liked: 99

Default Watkins Glen Video

Bill- Thanks for posting the video.I have watched several of them.I rarely get to see some of the tracks you guys race on.Thanks again. Mike Sauce

Default Glen National

"He has been working really hard on the set up of his car for a while now (practically the whole season) and it really showed this weekend."

This is true, but the main reason we've been able to devote the bulk of our time to getting this chassis just right is because we haven't had to touch this Honda engine all season other than 1 valve adjustment after the motor was broken in. We simply look at the engine data after each session, check pressures and temps and then go right to the chassis. I've done more gear changes at the track this year than I can ever remember doing simply because we have the time between sessions.

it was the same at laguna a few weeks ago when i was there. 3 days and they never touched it. and never a single drop of oil or water. somehow on sunday it looked just as clean as it did on friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information