Thread: ORP

Liked: 0

Default ORP

Eliminating a mechanical malfunction, Cape cannot be beat on the ovals, from what I saw. That was one great battle though. I really enjoyed the race and thought the series did an excellent job. The announcer did a superb job and the drivers competed professionally. I was impressed. I wish the American would have won here, but you couldn't bet against Irish names like McKenna and Daly at ORP, could you?

Mike Foschi

Daly is an American.

Mike - my mistake I wasn't clear. I was referring to the USF2000 event. Daly sure is an American, and a fast one too!

Liked: 11

Pretty sad turn out of F2000 (11) and Mazda's(13) and boring single file racing. Mazda race was way too long, people in our stands were actually sleeping!!! I counted 6 US drivers in both formula groups. Both series are just a motorized boarding school for rich South American kids. It sounded like the woman announcer thought that SCCA class driver Ardie Grenamyer won the race! Great Midget turn out and much better racing than the formula cars, sorry.

Liked: 77

Default Paddy?

What is your take on the incident in turn 2?

Liked: 977

Interesting that the midgets were the only thing that got any air time from what I saw on Speed or other local media. They however are always a good show at IRP.

Mike Foschi

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy O'Brien View Post
    Pretty sad turn out of F2000 (11) and Mazda's(13) and boring single file racing. Mazda race was way too long, people in our stands were actually sleeping!!! I counted 6 US drivers in both formula groups. Both series are just a motorized boarding school for rich South American kids. It sounded like the woman announcer thought that SCCA class driver Ardie Grenamyer won the race! Great Midget turn out and much better racing than the formula cars, sorry.

6 out of 24 is 25%. That is a much better percentage than Baseball having Americans involved. I thing they have changed the track since F2K has been there last making it a high lane only race track for high downforce cars.
    Last edited by Mike Foschi; 06.01.10 at 11:59 AM.

Liked: 142

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy O'Brien View Post
    Pretty sad turn out of F2000 (11) and Mazda's(13) and boring single file racing. Mazda race was way too long, people in our stands were actually sleeping!!!
    sweet.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

and just for clarity, I was being sarcastic. 11 cars showing up at a high profile event and putting on a snooze fest of a race makes us all look silly.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default inquirying mindlessness

does anyone know how the lap speeds of a USF2000 car compare to a Focus Midget at ORP???

Typically, the Focus midgets don't run at IRP or tracks bigger than 1/2 mile. The full USAC midgets with the $50k, 400 hp motors were racing Saturday, 40+ showed up. Focus midgets are the same chassis but with a 175 hp, methanol fueled Zetec motors, still almost as quick as the "big" midgets on shorter tracks, The midgets were turning 21 sec and change at IRP, the F2000 were high 21 and the mazdas were almost under 20 sec. but actually looked slower than the midgets. Most of the top formula cars were flat or only a slight lift in corners.
    Last edited by Paddy O'Brien; 06.02.10 at 8:20 AM.

Liked: 977

Brooks,

What time does a Focus Midget turn the track in?

Liked: 1

Default looking silly...

The winner from the USF2000 Laguna Seca non points event couldn't break the top 20 at the Road Atlanta F2000 championship race... Goes to show how stiff the competition is in the F2000 series. Hands down the toughest open wheel series in the USA!

Liked: 14

Keegan , to be fair Mikhail was P8 in Q1 at RA .357 of off pole. But yes the F2kCS is the best value per dollar in terms of competition in open wheel racing. Wish Cape and AA were running zetecs so they could run both series and get more wheel to wheel comp for the drivers.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

I'm thought I heard at ORP that Veach from AA was doing F2000 the Glen with another car for experience. Didn't hear anything on the other AA driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Billybob View Post
    I'm thought I heard at ORP that Veach from AA was doing F2000 the Glen with another car for experience. Didn't hear anything on the other AA driver.
    isn't Veach too young to run at the glen?

John, Regarding the Focus Midgets, I do not believe that there has been an official Focus event at IRP but I heard that in private testing they were 1.5-2 sec slower than the regular midgets. Joe, if you mean the out of the park midget flip, then no I didn't see who started it but as usual someone checked up and someone else was suprised!

Thread Information