Thread: F1000 clutch

Liked: 0

Default F1000 clutch

Hello all

I am new arround here, I don´t know a lot of things about that kind of formula. The reason of my post is because I´ve got a doubt about the clutch, I would like to know if in this cars is needed to press the clutch for change gear or if they use a power comander that allowing them not to use it.

Thank you

Liked: 553

I think (but am not positive) that most people with manual shifters are clutching for downshifts but not upshifts.

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    I think (but am not positive) that most people with manual shifters are clutching for downshifts but not upshifts.

Thank you, lets see if anybody else who´s got one of those answer my question too.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Hi Peat

I use the clutch to engage 1st gear heading out onto the track, and I never touch the clutch pedal again until I come in from the race.
    The m/c engine gearbox's are dog engagement, not synchro equiped as in a street car.
    Having said that, I know of a feww very fast individuals that still use the clutch on downchanges, I feel it is unnecessary, but I recall that even Rubens Barrachello in F1 still used the clutch up until such time as they didn't have a real clutch anymore.
    Bottom line is ask 10 guys what they do shifting sequence wise and you'll get 9 answers.
    The 10th guy is a dick and will try to protect his "speed secrets"!

PS Welcome aboard

Liked: 126

My speed secret, worth at least a beer, is that I still use the clutch on downshifts but not on upshifts. But I was also not using a back torque limiting clutch.

The new engine I'm putting in the car has that type clutch, so I may change the habit.

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

I'm with GC. The clutch is used to get rolling, otherwise not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    I use the clutch to engage 1st gear heading out onto the track, and I never touch the clutch pedal again until I come in from the race.
    The m/c engine gearbox's are dog engagement, not synchro equiped as in a street car.
    Having said that, I know of a feww very fast individuals that still use the clutch on downchanges, I feel it is unnecessary, but I recall that even Rubens Barrachello in F1 still used the clutch up until such time as they didn't have a real clutch anymore.
    Bottom line is ask 10 guys what they do shifting sequence wise and you'll get 9 answers.
    The 10th guy is a dick and will try to protect his "speed secrets"!

PS Welcome aboard
    Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    My speed secret, worth at least a beer, is that I still use the clutch on downshifts but not on upshifts. But I was also not using a back torque limiting clutch.

The new engine I'm putting in the car has that type clutch, so I may change the habit.

Thank you guys, wich paddle shift system are you using?

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Up the creek

w/o a paddle.

My current car just has a bump shifter, just a little lever connecting to the transmission shift shaft through tubes, rod ends, and such.
    My last car had a paddle shift, but it was nothing more than a pivoting arrangement that saw movement put through a robust single cable to the transmission shift shaft.
    No pneumatics, no electrical type assist.

I'm old school and 'heel toe' when down shifting. Maybe I'll try the Cooper/Dixon method but you'll both have to tell me it's ok and won't hurt anything!

Liked: 5

Good question, Peat, I have been meaning to ask this very question.

I have not been driving my car (Stohr F1000 w/08 GSXR) as long as others, but I only use the clutch to leave the pits. Clutchless shifting really enables left foot braking.

Expanding upon blipping during downshifts, I find that I do very small blips just to ease the transmission out of gear; I am not using large blips to match revs like with a standard H shifter. When done correctly, it is seamless and smooth.

Does this make sense to you clutchless guys?

As a member of the former CU formula SAE team, we had a design that gave us a auto clutch on downshifts. The trick was in the shift lever, we made it so both the clutch and the gear change linkage were on the same lever. So when you pushed for downshifts the clutch cable got pulled while the gear got changed down. This worked great, the only problems were coming into the pits you had to be pretty slick and hit nutral the first time around, since pushing in the clutch while not downshifting was not an option.

I like to much this paddle shifter kit
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39735
    Last edited by peat; 05.24.10 at 10:40 AM.

Liked: 80

I'll add my not-as-talented $0.02 to the mix: I don't use the clutch for upshifts, but I do heel-toe and clutch for downshifts. I right-foot brake, not sure about the other guys up higher, they may be left-foot brakers.

and Coop is a one-hand typer

-J

Liked: 553

I'm old school. I think any type of automatic clutch or shifter takes some of the fun from driving, even if it may be faster from one corner to the next. Heel & toe, matching revs on downshifts - That's when you're having fun racing a sports car. Part of being one with the car.

on edit:

Clarification: I think when a 'system' shifts or declutches for you, that's where you're losing a little bit of the fun of driving.

I don't use the clutch on upshifts.

I'm not sure if clutchless downshifts are better or worse for mechanical sympathy, but (IMO), they can't help lap times.

I talked to a driver at Rd Atl. He has an automatic shifter that works great for upshifts, but unreliable for downshifts. He said he'd be coming out of the tight T10A in 6th gear. Yuck.
    Last edited by RussMcB; 05.25.10 at 7:15 AM.

Liked: 2

The car is a big shifter kart. No clutch required after launch until you're nearly at full stop. I make more mistakes using the clutch and Hewland states that dog type gearboxes are best used without a clutch if you shift quickly.

there are a wide variety of opinions arround here, I think that is faster not to use the clutch, but if you want to feel the real fun of driving a racecar....
    for those who use a paddle shifter system, wich kit are you using?and wich one is the best one in your opinnion?

Thank you guys

*sorry about my poor english, maybe I am commiting some mistakes, I need practice more

Thread Information