Liked: 157

Default Lime Rock National Race Report

I dont have a Lime Rock National race report, and some of you are probably saying thank god, but I have a good excuse for missing the race. My wife surprised me with a 50th birthday present. The view from the hotel suite from which we watched the race

This race is probably #1 on most people's once in a lifetime have got to do it list, including mine, and I have to tell you it was everything I expected and more. My wife Jo and the kids planned everything out perfectly. 10 days on a sailboat sailing the Med from Rome to Monaco, including opening night in Cannes for the film festival, ending up with 4 days in Monaco for the race. The hotel suite was set up with full bar, catered food, we were sipping champagne from 10 am to 6 each day. Simply an incredible experience and one I will never forget.

Last edited by Tom Valet; 05.18.10 at 12:53 PM.

Liked: 96

Hey! Shouldn't this be under ApexSpeed > General ApexSpeed Topics > Off-Track ????

Wicked jealous! Nice photos.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 6

That's really great. I heard about the trip from Bill in the Paddock. I'm turning 50 this year too, and my wife also 'surprised' me with a special vacation. As we were walking away from our conv w/Bill, Forrest asked, 'so where is mom taking you again? Some game park in Kenya? Sorry, I guess I should've gotten more involved."

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Monaco

Tom, did you run into my dad at Monaco? For his 80th birthday he wanted to go to the Historic GP and the F1 race at Monaco. I told him I couldn't take 3 weeks off from work to do both but would split it with one of my bothers. So me and Pops flew over and went to the Historic GP at Monaco then my brother Rodger came over and took him to the F1 race. We sat in the K1 Grandstand for the race, you can see almost 1/2 the track from there not like alot of street races where you see a quick blip of the cars.

At least in the Historic we got to see Americans race and win a few times.

Ed Callo

Liked: 157

Very cool Ed, and the first thing I thought of when I read your post was "holy crap" I might very well have run into your dad. We met a terrific older gentleman who told us one racing war story after another. Your dad isnt from Indiana by any chance, is he?

While we were there we saw a lot of news and pictures of the vintage race weekend. In many ways it is even cooler than the F1 weekend. My wife even commented that if she had known about it she might have booked us on that trip instead, seeing the historic cars on that circuit would be incredible.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Really racing

Tom, nope dad was not from Indiana, but the Bronx.

The best part was they were really racing not doing demo laps like some Vintage events. The pre-war F1 drives were going sideways through the corners in 80 year old cars with no roll bars or any of that other new stuff! And there is no room for error at Monaco.

I took lots of pictures but with a cheap camara so not very good, but the video I shot has some good stuff. I will carry it in the Motorhome and we can watch it sometime at the track.

The only down side is it was a little cool that weekend and the girls on the yatchs across from our seats were wearing way to much clothing to be in Monaco.

Ed

Thread Information