Liked: 17

Default 40th FF aniversary - NZ

Hi fellow Formula Ford racers. We in New Zealand are planning our 40th anniversary - looking like late Novermber 2010. We would love to see lots of overseas competitors. Our aim is to fill as many grids as possible with FF cars. Age open to cars with Hewland trans.

Martin

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Freight cost

OK, I believe it would be around $1.2 million to charter a 747 are similar carge jet to fly us over th NZ. How many FF's could one get in a 747?

Ed

Hi Ed,

We would love to see as amny over seas drivers as possible. If at your end there are a few then you can fit four cars in a 40ft container if you make a frame and put one on top of the other. This is what a lot of Aussie and US competitiors did earlier in the year for the Bruce McLaren festival. We may be able to negotiate a cheap shipping rate.

You need minimal support as FF cars are basic. We will assist should you need help with breakdowns or repairs. Again we did this with the Australians, we managed to keep every one running over three weeks of competition.

There is a lot of FF knowledge here. We just want to see some of you guys over here to enjoy the fun.

Martin

Liked: 64

I always wanted to visit new Zealand,maybe now is the time. What's the chances of renting a ride from a prep shop? FF or CFF wouldn't matter. How many cars are you expecting? What track will you race on? Does it have a website?
    Thanks Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Allen View Post
    I always wanted to visit new Zealand,maybe now is the time. What's the chances of renting a ride from a prep shop? FF or CFF wouldn't matter. How many cars are you expecting? What track will you race on? Does it have a website?
    Thanks Wes
    Hi Wes,

We are very relaxed over here. We race for a chocolate fish. I know of a few people with more than one car. Infact one of the organisers has two Van Diemans and a paliser. I'm sure we can find cars for a number of overseas drivers. As for support there are a number of porfessionals that attend and do free track side repairs. We always help each other to keep cars going. We swap parts and tools and labour. We are constructing a web site now. Tonight is an informal organising committe night at a restaurant. I will discuss your request to lease a car. Currently we are looking at two tracks, primarily Pukekohe an ex Tasman track (Clark, Hill, Amon, Rindt, Brabham etc). Second track ia new one - Hampton Downs. Both are poles apart driving wise but a lot of fun. Both are 30 minutes form Auckland the main centre. Lots to do, bring partners. Bill Stone (ex March and BAR) will be racing my lotus 69. Wally Willmont (Bruce McLarens mechanc) will be racing a NZ built car. It will be a great fun event, lots of racing very affordable. Earlier this year at the Bruce McLaren festival we had 38 cars on the grid. After two weeks (six days racing) there was only one minor incident of contact which was repaired quickly. We want two grids of 40 if we can. Grids will be sellected on times, not class or age of car for safety and fun close racing.

Liked: 190

Default Drive New Zealand

Wes,

I got the chance to drive an FV in New Zealand in 2000. I will tell you that Motorsports New Zealand is the complete polar opposite of SCCA. They will make your visit and race easy, simple and best off FUN. Unless something has changed, you will need to apply for a license (licence in NZ). Fill out the forms, send copies of your SCCA license and pay the fees.....done. If it works out, don't think twice, go!

I drove at Manfeild in Palmerston North. Their race meetings are a real blast, with spectators, track announcers and best off, standing starts. I'm sure you'll get to meet Ken Smith, he is a Formula Ford ledgend in New Zealand who helped many NZ drivers (Scott Dixon comes to mind).

Only one problem with going, you won't want to come back
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Thread Information