Liked: 84

Default Matt Mladin SS engine for sale

Hello, I came across someone that had a newer GSXR1000 engine that was Matt Mladin's SS engine. I told him that the F1000 class was a stock engine class and his response was: It is a super stock motor. Minor tech tweaks to pass the stock tech.

Would this engine be legal for the F1000 class?

Liked: 43

I would look at the rules between the two sanctioning bodies as to what the definition of STOCK is and what is allowed to be changed. I have a feeling that there are some differences.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

When did Mladin ever run Superstock? Perhaps that just means it's a Yoshimura-built engine. The current Superbike engine rules are pretty close to the old SS rules, so if it's an 09-spec engine, it would be reasonably close to "stock."
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    When did Mladin ever run Superstock? Perhaps that just means it's a Yoshimura-built engine. The current Superbike engine rules are pretty close to the old SS rules, so if it's an 09-spec engine, it would be reasonably close to "stock."
    I think (if it's the same one I saw advertised), it is an '06.

Liked: 309

I don't have the rules in front of me right now, either, but my recollection is that in '06 the SS rules were more like our DSR than our FB. You'd want to be very careful it thoroughly know what you're getting before planning to put that engine in an FB. What year was it that the SS rules were cut way back to what they are now? I'm thinking after '06, but I could be wrong.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

this was the response from the engine owner:

It's an 06 gsxr 1000. Typical SS motors have 185 hp. I haven't had it long enough for a dyno. For Superstock class no material can be removed from the head. They typically mill the cylinders and not the head to increase compression. They may have drilled the cam sprockets and advanced them. It's stamped SS build on the block. There a bunch more things I have no idea of but the tolorances are very close on SS motors. You can actually go to the AMA site and check the SS class engine specs...

Liked: 151

not legal

Have any FB engines been checked yet in impound?

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Have any FB engines been checked yet in impound?

Not that I am aware of, but it needs to start happening really soon. I don't believe any of the fast guys are cheating, but since 2007 I have kept hearing about how certain cars or people are illegal/cheating. I'm convinced it's not true, but maybe someday some slow guy will convince himself that the only reason he isn't winning is because everyone in front of him is cheating and then he might put a built motor in his car.

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

George Dean did an inspection of Niki Coello's engine after the ARRC race. I don't know the details or the extent to which it was inspected, but it was inspected.

They still cleared impound pretty fast. The runoffs winner needs to leave with no two parts of the engine still bolted together.

I haven't heard any rumors about the super fast FB guys cheating. I think the general consensus is they are just fantastic drivers with well set up chassis (and strong, legal engines).

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    not legal
    I'm not questioning you but what makes this engine not legal?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    I'm not questioning you but what makes this engine not legal?
    If they are machining on the engines to change compression ratios then it is no longer legal for FB.

H.4.B Engine internals and compression ratio must remain stock. The
    competitor must present, on demand, an original factory manual
    for the engine to allow compliance verification.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Yeah, not so legal

I'm still trying to figure out when Maladin ran SS.
    It could be a forgery!

The FB rules alloow for a few things to be done, but removing (or adding!) metal are definitely not allowed.

2009 ARRC tech was the top 4 (Coello, De La O, Osborne, and me) getting a few things checked over, such as compression #'s, but no disassembly.

I like the Runoffs tech mentioned above, but make it the Top 5!

Rumors, there have been some, but the best one was the one by
    Fleetwood Mac, circa mid 70's. Stevie Nicks had yet to put the 12 truckloads of blow up her nose and was oh-so-hot. THAT should be the poster for discouraging kids to do drugs, a few before and after shots!

Liked: 1397

Default Run Offs tech inspection

For several the stake holders in FV and FF helped cover the costs for Frank Schultise to come to Atlanta and do the tear downs after the run offs.

Maybe we need to consider this again for FB.

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

In all of the SCCA events that I have entered, the tech guys have NEVER looked at the engine or any components. I really think they do not have the background in these motors since the class is so new.

I have however been scrutinized over things like difuser width and ride heights, wing size when the car was first seen at the Phoenix, AZ tracks (Phoenix International and Firebird International) Since then I have never been questioned. I was checked at LaJunta Raceway in Colorado by RMD techs for the gas check valve. Very basic to say the least. That was 2008

Perhaps in the major events..... like National SCCA Run-offs or ARRC an inspection might be warranted.

I seriously doubt that any of the major FB driver/owners are cheating. I believe that all FB owner drivers currently in this class that post here frequently are very honest men, owners and drivers. If there was "big" money on the line for racing these cars perhaps we might see a few owner/driver cross the line of integrity.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 0

changing the cam timing would be a big no no.i have heard rumor of this being done.

Liked: 126

I believe changing the cam timing is within the rules. The stock cam sprockets on my Yamahas are already slotted.

Heresay from George and my research with the Yamaha guys say that the cam timing is usually best at the stock setting anyway. But who knows...

Liked: 0

you have to mod the cam gears on the gsxr.im pretty sure the 06/07 kaw zx10r has adjustable gears too.maybe there should be a rules clarification.being you have adjustable gears on some makes.

Thread Information