Liked: 3

Default Brainerd quadruple July 2-4 SCCA

Just curious if anybody knows if this event is on for sure? I thought it was scheduled last year but was cancelled? Also if anybody would know gearing that would be great too!

Thanks!

Liked: 0

Default BIR Jack Pine Sprints July 3-4

Here's a press release regarding this event from about a month ago. As for gearing, this will be the first time SCCA has run the new track. It's a mix of a long straight section into the old turn three and the old turns 4-7 and then a tight carousel and corners returning you to the end of the former main straight. We're working on new track map and will post it and more information soon.

Release:
    [FONT=Calibri]FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Contact:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Kathy Gillen[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Event Coordinator[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Land-O-Lakes Region, Sports Car Club of America[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Phone: 763-241-8010[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Kathy@gillengroup.com[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]http://scca-lol.org[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]SCCA Road Racing Returns To Brainerd International Raceway -[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Racing Enthusiast Open House April 10[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Minneapolis, MN – March 30, 2010 – The Sports Car Club of America, Land O’ Lakes Region is pleased to announce that a full slate of SCCA Club Racing classes will once again compete at Brainerd International Raceway(BIR) on July 3 & 4, 2010. The Jack Pine Sprints Quadruple Regional marks the first time in 10 years that SCCA-sanctioned racing has been held at BIR. [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Adding additional excitement to the weekend, the races will run on BIR’s newly configured 2.5 mile road course. Because a good number of volunteer workers are needed, anyone interested in this and other Club events is invited to the LOL Open House at Derhaag Motorsports, 749 Canterbury Road in Shakopee on Saturday, April 10 from 10AM-2PM.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Up to 150 race cars representing 10 different race groups will be featured at the July event, from showroom stock to super prepared, purpose-built, highly technical race cars, driven by some of the best amateur drivers from all over the nation. SCCA is proud to be bringing Club Road Racing back to Minnesota and is excited to partner with Brainerd International Raceway to host this event. BIR has a rich road racing history and is one of the premier tracks in the nation. [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]SCCA’s Land O’ Lakes Region is composed of over 400 members, involved in all aspects of club racing, including road racing, autocross, rally cross and solo events. “Our events are staffed and managed by volunteers from the club, and this is a great way to get close to the action and feel the thrill and excitement of racing” said Kathy Gillen, event coordinator. “We are always looking for new racers as well as volunteers to help staff events and have many opportunities for both experienced and inexperienced volunteers who love racing”. For more information on Land O’ Lakes Region activities, visit www.scca-lol.org[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]# # # [/FONT]

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

Default BIR Jack Pine Sprints / Gearing

Hi Andrew-

As Marti says, yes this event is happening. Canceled last year due to lack of track certification as of the scheduled race date. That was resolved last fall, it's fully SCCA compliant!

Hopefully you can come up and run with us. As for gearing, I don't think anyone knows yet. As far as I know, no one has yet run a lap on the new track in an FF! I did a few laps as a passenger in a street car there last year. What I plan to do, at least to start out with, will be run the same gears I use at Road America, which were the same I ran at the (original) Donnybrooke course. As Marti says, the track uses the last half of Turn One, through the old "chicane" Turn 7/8, then bends right into about a 225 degree carousel, with a couple turns before the short straight, then turns tight 90 degree left, a very short straight, then about a 90 right that leads back to the old Turn 1. BTW, the new turn at the end of the "mainstraight" is named "West Bend", in honor and memory of Harvey West. So the track still has a very long flat out section, pretty sure it's well over half a mile from the old banked Turn 1 to turn 3, and then enters the old short twisty part of the track.

Take a look at it on Google Maps, satellite view, you can see the entire track very well.

Also, this is a Spectator Event, and there will be Drag Racing on the old main straight dragway, going on simultaneously, so something for everyone. Maybe some of the drag racers will come over and see why we have so much fun driving around looking for the finish line rather that just heading straight to it!

Hope to see everyone up there with us!

And, if anyone is so inclined, there's some pretty good fishing in the area!

Steve Barkley
    FF #10

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

I've been waiting to race this track for about the last 44 years, ever since I watched the drag races there when I was 16 (1965). Planned to race it last year since I was going to be up north for the FF 40th at Rd America anyway, however then it was cancelled. Is the mosquito still the state bird?
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by formulasuper View Post
    I've been waiting to race this track for about the last 44 years, ever since I watched the drag races there when I was 16 (1965). Planned to race it last year since I was going to be up north for the FF 40th at Rd America anyway, however then it was cancelled. Is the mosquito still the state bird?
    Well great then, here's your opportunity! Come on up, enjoy the North country! Bring your freinds and family. LOL is doing everything they can to ensure you will not be disappointed! As for the mosquitos still being the State Bird - hell yes! Some things never change! Only thing is, usually by July, it's warm enough that they aren't wearing their little down vests, so they are harder to see. BUT, they'll still find you!

(BTW, I have driven a buddy's racing version FactoryFive AC Cobra w/302 on the original track, it was a blast! Even gave 8/10th rides to Workers, sponsors and guests. Should have seen their reactions! Most were along the lines of OMG! I had no idea a car could go like that!)

Steve
    Euroswift SE-1 FF

Well if its on, then it looks like I am going to plan on this event too. Where the hell is brainerd anyways?!?! How far away is it from the Iowa border Steve?

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by racingflyboy View Post
    Well great then, here's your opportunity! Come on up, enjoy the North country! Bring your freinds and family. LOL is doing everything they can to ensure you will not be disappointed! As for the mosquitos still being the State Bird - hell yes! Some things never change! Only thing is, usually by July, it's warm enough that they aren't wearing their little down vests, so they are harder to see. BUT, they'll still find you!

(BTW, I have driven a buddy's racing version FactoryFive AC Cobra w/302 on the original track, it was a blast! Even gave 8/10th rides to Workers, sponsors and guests. Should have seen their reactions! Most were along the lines of OMG! I had no idea a car could go like that!)

Steve
    Euroswift SE-1 FF

Ya, I plan to be there if my new engine track test goes ok before then.
    Scott Woodruff

Liked: 0

Default Miles to Brainerd

Steve: Brainerd is 375 miles ( M or L) north of Waterloo, IA.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by thunderracing91 View Post
    Well if its on, then it looks like I am going to plan on this event too. Where the hell is brainerd anyways?!?! How far away is it from the Iowa border Steve?

Andrew
    Great! Glad you're going to plan on it.

Good question. Straightline, Brainerd is about 100 miles NNW, (330 degrees) from Minneapolis. The track is actually NW of the town of Brainerd, actually just south of Nisswa. I live about 20 miles west/northwest of Mpls. By road, I'm 125 miles from the track, and as I recall, right about 100 or 120 miles to the MN/Iowa border, at I-35. So, probably about 235 miles border to BIR.

To get to BIR, take I-35 to the Twin Cities, take I-494 West around the west side of the metro to where it intersects with I-94 in the northwest area of the Cities. I follow I-94 to Clearwater where I get off 94 and cross the Mississippi River and take US Hwy 10 to Little Falls, where Hwy 371 splits off and heads to the track. 2 lanes or more (ea way) this entire route, except the ~4 miles crossing the River from I-94 to Hwy 10. Be advised though, 2 lanes in the Cities can still mean slow and go.

Default link to Brainerd

http://www.brainerdraceway.com/road-...-regional.html

With the drag racing happing on site I wonder if we (SCCA) will still be limited to our standard sound restrictions!
    Last edited by formulasuper; 05.10.10 at 1:19 PM.
    Scott Woodruff

http://www.brainerdraceway.com/road-...-regional.html

With the drag racing happing on site I wonder if we (SCCA) will still be limited to our standard sound restrictions!
    I would assume so. However, no one will hear us!

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!

here's the link to event on motorsportsreg:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...9784F4AD1455D6

Did everybody have a fun safe weekend? Any results??
    Jp: thewarehouse "at" msn.com
    www.myinfinitystore.com
    90 Reynard FF

Liked: 553

I talked with FormulaSuper on the phone last night. He made the long tow from Atlanta with his FS Ralt-Hayabusa. He grew up near Brainard and has friends & relatives nearby.

His weekend went pretty well. He battled with a strong CSR and matched his pace (may have even gotten fastest lap of the weekend). He was nose to tail for the overall win in the final race when a clogged fuel filter slowed him.

Liked: 33

It was an interesting weekend at the track. Sadly the "natives" that were there for the NHRA event were a bit noisy at times....roman candle set of near workers camping at 2am.

I think the event went rather well, I was working fire rescue. By the way, cooking in a nomex suit with a swarm of mosquito going after you, is not the most enjoyable thing lol.

There were some incidents of course but everyone is ok. I think the track has potential and the event had some teething issues but it has been over 10 years since a race up there.

Scott I wanted to stop by and say hi, but I was kept pretty busy during the day or was out with the rescue truck.
    Chris Buccola track brat since 1986.
    Chicago Region- Corner Worker
    Spec Racer Ford Gen 2 #38

Default BIR-Jack Pine Sprints, Thanks All

First of all, on behalf of Land 'O Lakes Region, I'd like to say THANK YOU to all of you, Drivers and Workers, Crew, and eveyone else that was there, for coming Up Nort' and playing with us. You all helped make it a success, and we truly hope you had a great time and felt is was worth the drive half way to Canada! Actually, way over half way for Scott Woodruff! Georgia to Minnesota! Wow. Scott, sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you more, just the quick hello while you were on Grid on Sunday morning. You had left by the time I got to your Paddock.

Chris "Trak Brat" Buccola, thanks for being there for those of us that failed to keep our cars on the black stuff. I don't know if you were on the truck that came for me (FF race Sat morning, between Turn 8 and the Cloverleaf), but as alway, the SCCA Safety Team was spot on. Thanks guys/gals. (Fortunately, this is only the second time I've experienced them first person) BTW, I wasn't hurt, but can't say the same for my car.

As for "the natives", well, yes, that was a probelm. And we will be talking to the Track about that whole situation. There were some Paddock concerns also, mostly regarding the stream of vehicles from another part of the track parading thru, with lets just say, few drivers I suspect could pass a breathalyer test. OK, they're having their brand of fun, and they were't on the Highways, I'll give them that. And they did have some pretty interesting vehicles!

Seriously though, LOL is open to any comments good or bad, that any of the participants have - we want to make next years event better in any way we can. Some of the things we know about will have to worked out with BIR, but any feedback is appreciated, including Track/Facility concerns of any type. Cophams want our business.

I'd also like to thank the Milwaukee, Chicago, and Blackhawk Valley Regions, as well as any others that I'm not aware of (please speak up) for your help and support with the Jack Pine Sprints. From people, to vehicles, to tons of advice, all of your help was truly appreciated, and very helpful. We have some pretty talented Volunteers in LoL, but after 10 years without a home race, they had a lot to remember to take care of, and many of them had not been involved with the SCCA last time around. If you've never been part of planning a race, you would not believe the amount of work and planning and details that go into it. (I hadn't, and just helped very slightly on the sidelines, wow) Hats Off to Kathy Gillen, Race Chair. And Mark & Mary Utech, Assistant Chairs, and Tom Fuehrer, who regardless of title at the time, just seems to make things happen for LoL.

Hope to all of you and more again next year!

Steve Barkley
    FF #10 (or what's left of it)

Liked: 35

Default BIR

I echo Steve's thank you to all concerned for the re-birth of SCCA racing at the new old BIR. Although a few glitches came up when trying to run road and drag racing at the same time, they were handled well by everyone at Registration. Very sorry to see Steve's pristine SE-3 stuck in the wall early in the first race. Steve stayed around to cheer on the rest of the races despite his very much lightened wallet. We all hope to see him back in a car real soon and if anyone has a good deal on a roller Swift of any type he may be looking.

Just a few comments and suggestions from this side. The new track is interesting and challenging but several drivers (including Rick Iverson) discovered how treacherous a missed apex can be through the right hand sweeper leading past the pits. The tight left right combo under the new cross track bridge is also a challenge and woe to anyone messing up the exit of the hard right as concrete on both sides waits to gobble up he who spins at the exit. The old turn two is still flat out accelerating but vvery rough to the point the car is bouncing all over the place. If anyone has a good brake point and turn in for the new 180 degree turn 8, please let me know as I didn't get it right all weekend.

Suggestion to the stewards for the next event: please consider moving the start flag to a point past the left right combo. Launching a pack right into the slowest point on the track is an invitation for carnage, especially if it's damp off line. Much appreciated the "One" sign signifying starting the last lap.

As for results, Chris Orr smoked everyone in his pristine newer Van Diemen. Brad Ellingsen had a run on Chris when Orr's rain tires started to go off in the Sunday morning damp race, but Chris jumped back in front with a tire-smoking late braking pass into turn 4 to keep his record of pole/first place finishes perfect. The rest of us were left to fight it out for second but Ellingsen had motor woes put him out in Sunday's "feature" 12 lap event and I inherited the "first loser" position. Good job by Alan Murray with s string of thirds in the Tom Stillwell Swift.

Liked: 43

Actually, Scott, the track opened on August 10-11, 1968 with an SCCA national. It hosted F5000 in 68,69,70,71 & 72. Hosted Can-Am in 70,71 & 72. Trans-Am in 69,70,71,72. I'm referring to the original series', not the later versions.

AHRA was the first drag racing sanctioning body, and was replaced later on by the NHRA with the Northstar Nationals, which continues to this day.

And yes, the mosquito's are bigger and meaner than ever!

Tom

Liked: 67

Default Lap around BIR

It was good to be back at BIR. Overall I think the race went off well given how long it has been since our region ran up there. My one suggestion would be to start the races somewhere after the bridge and before turn 2. Finishing on the new pit straight would be fine. A starter stand might help too but I liked the old school method used of having the flagman right there in the grass next to the track surface!

Here is a link to a lap around the new BIR. The start finish line is at about 13 sec in. BTW Tony, this is not the best line through the carousel. Bruce Livermore gave me some tips afterwards as he would close on me like mad there almost every time through.

Jim

http://vholdr.com/video/one-lap-bir-...first-july3-10

Liked: 33

No I was not on the truck that went to your FF on Saturday. I was actually in the rover truck with the E&S chief.

I think flame throwers or giant citronella candles might be in order to keep the mosquito swarms at bay, lol. They were not that bad, but it was amazing they could still fly around in some of those high wind conditions.

I think the fire works on Saturday was a nice touch, of course the clean up in the morning had to happen before events got underway. Soggy remains of fireworks.

I think it was the final race for FF that had a great battle in the rear of the field. But fantastic job on everyone's half.

And yes there is a starters stand, but you wouldn't want to stand on it.
    Chris Buccola track brat since 1986.
    Chicago Region- Corner Worker
    Spec Racer Ford Gen 2 #38

Liked: 9

Default Results posted

The results are now up on mylaps....however....they aren't exactly correct. They still show Alan Murray as an FS on Saturday.

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=572065
    Currently Without Car

Thread Information