Liked: 126

Default Sourcing Engines

With my 06 Yamaha OOC, I've been trying to find an 07/08 R1 - and it is quite the pain in the arse.

- The motorcycle forums seem to be full of wankers. I had 2 06 units lined up, but now both sellers don't return my calls. Others don't respond to questions about condition, etc... etc...

- I almost got scammed on Ebay

- No one from the dirt track community is responding to my calls and Emails

- Sal at Superbikes has some, but his reputation seems a little low here

Brandon is not ready to make a Suzuki pan, and I'm not financially ready to swap to that unit yet. So Suzuki is out...

The Honda sure looks good, but it seems the ECU issues are too much. I found one with 200 miles! at something like $1,500.

Sooo... I've written George inquiring about a 07/08 R1. We'll see what he says.

Have you guys ever gotten so mentally consumed with something that it effects everything else (like work)?

There! that venting helped. Maybe I can go a couple more days before walking away.

Liked: 0

Try this site.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/index.php

It is the site dedicated to R1's and from a cursory glance there are quite a few engines (or part out of wrecked bike) for sale of all the various years.

Hasty Horn

Liked: 126

Thanks Hasty - but that is the forum which I refer to above. I think I've sourced another 06 engine (this time with slipper clutch), but I would have preferred an 07/08.

Liked: 84

Try forums.13x.com it's the WERA forums so most bikes are track/race bikes and the best why to sell them is to part them out so you get a ton of bikes/parts posted every day.

Liked: 553

I've been kind of lucky with creative, or monotonous, Google searches. You can come across older ads in various places where the engine never sold and the seller is happy to take a lower offer.

I found an ad from Craigslist in Tampa, FL and the transaction went great. Got the engine that's in my race car now for $700. I was able to negotiate driving half way.

I like how you can negotiate a good price when an oil pan is damaged slightly and I don't care because I don't need it (but he doesn't know that. :-).

Maybe now is a good time to upgrade to a Kawasaki. Go Green!
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default "Obsession"

Rob, I don't know beans about MC engines or where you can find them, but I do have an answer to the question you posed which was:

"Have you guys ever gotten so mentally consumed with something that it affects everything else?"

Answer: Yes, we have, Rob. We are racers! ( hey, you left the door open ! )

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Engines R Us checking in

PM sent

Thread Information