Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

Default FF/CFF at Blackhawk Regional May 15-16?

I'm planning on starting my season out at the quad-regional at Blackhawk in a couple of weeks. Any other FF/CFF planning to go? There 5 FST registered online, but no FF/CFF.

Phil Kingham
    #27 CFF
    Zink Z10C

Liked: 0

As of now, I look like a "no go." We have run the MC race, the first regional, and this weekend the double national at BHF. Then in May it's the double nationals at RA and Grattan. I can't make the quad work. Have fun, Phil, and I don't need say "go fast"!

Allen Wheatcroft
    #9 VD 98
    Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    I'm planning on starting my season out at the quad-regional at Blackhawk in a couple of weeks. Any other FF/CFF planning to go? There 5 FST registered online, but no FF/CFF.

Phil Kingham
    #27 CFF
    Zink Z10C

Liked: 3

I'll be there. I'm pretty sure I have to leave early and miss race #2 on Saturday due to a certain wife's Bday. Looking forward to our first run of the year!

Anybody else going?
    Jp: thewarehouse "at" msn.com
    www.myinfinitystore.com
    90 Reynard FF

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

I'm planning on being there. John, too bad about the poor planning. My wife's birthday is in January. Except for the Daytona 24, it's not an issue!

Look forward to seeing you for part of the event anyway!

Steve
    FF # 10

Is registration on DLB? I cant find it on there?

Andrew

Global Moderator Dave Woodmancy's Avatar
    Liked: 69

Quote Originally Posted by thunderracing91 View Post
    Is registration on DLB? I cant find it on there?

Andrew
    They've switched to motorsportreg.com, not using DLB any longer at all - wish I could be there racing with Steve and you . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Allen_W View Post
    They've switched to motorsportreg.com, not using DLB any longer at all - wish I could be there racing with Steve and you . . .

Sorry you can't make it Allen. I always enjoy racing with you. Besides, I ALWAYS follow you, now how will I find my way around the track?

Steve
    FF #10
    "you can't beat fun for a good time!"

Were not going to get everything together in time to make it this weekend. Really bummed. Catch up with everybody in Milwaukee on June 5th.
    www.myinfinitystore.com
    90 Reynard FF

Quote Originally Posted by thewarehouse View Post
    Were not going to get everything together in time to make it this weekend. Really bummed. Catch up with everybody in Milwaukee on June 5th.
    Jon, sorry to hear you're not going to make it. I was looking forward to racing with you again - hopefully without a broken float this time!

Since I'm not going to be at Milwaukee, Good Luck! I'm driving in the Chumpcar race at BIR that weekend - that is if our $500 car runs long enough for me to get my turn!

Since you can't make this Quad event, you should definitely plan to come up to Brainerd for the LOL Jack Pine Sprints July 2 & 3, another quad format. (See Brainerd thread)

Steve

Steve,

Yeah, it was a depressing weekend. This party has taken on EPIC proportions. A word to the wise, if you repaint the interior of your house, trust me the work has just started. Instead of hanging an engine I was hanging shelves and pictures all weekend....good news is we didn't kill each other !

I would love to do Brainard. It's going to be a tough call between that and the Sprints. I get my National with one more regional race and have ALWAYS wanted to drive in the Sprints...I've only spectated at about 40 of the damn things..lol!

Jp
    Last edited by thewarehouse; 05.11.10 at 11:50 AM.
    www.myinfinitystore.com
    90 Reynard FF

So . . . how did the quad turn out?

Contributing Member

Weather was great, track was fast. There were 4 CFF and about 5 FF. We got moved to the 'wings and things' group because they had only 4 cars (one DSR, two FC, one Formula Mazda running as FS).

I don't have the results in front of me, so I won't try to list the finishing positions. In CFF, I won the first three, and Tom Tipsword won the last one by about 3 feet. He was going faster each session. In the last race I spun pretty early and got back past the CFF field, but Tom got back by me, and I was next to him at start/finish.

In FF, I think Brad Ellingson won all of the races with Steve Barkley putting up a fight.

Conditions were perfect on Saturday for going fast. I got a new track record of 1:15.151 beating Bill Bonow's 1996 record of 1:15.196. It was only my second session on the track this year, and the tires were on their 16th heat cycle, so I have no idea how I got going that fast. The tires got worse after that, and I switched to even older tires, so I never got into the 15s again after that first race on Saturday.

Phil

Awesome - congratulations, Phil. That is one monster time - and Billy's record has stood for a long time. Very cool to hear that Tom and Brad were back out.

Liked: 190

I was glad to be at BFR the weekend that it finally was broken. Phil shouldn't be surprised, with a serious CFF and the desire he has to go fast, track records are going to fall. Congratulations
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 42

Default Congrats phil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NICE JOB,

That's smoking around BFR,

I still have the Q record (or maybe that should say HAD, yea I know, they don't keep those anymore,)

Didn't think that Billys time would drop, without the pressure of an EWC race anymore.

16th cycle R60's
    FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!

THIS NEWS DESERVES IT'S OWN THREAD,
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Picture from Turn 1, Race 3. Pretty typical of the FF race 3. Up until my shift linkage failed on lap 13 anyway (turned out to be loose nut on the adjuster!). Ellingson and I had a real battle going on. Almost every lap we were side by side on the straight. He got me into T1 on L10, I got him back coming out of 5, he got me at 1 again, I got him going into 6, he got me back, then the failure. Still trying Smile Remover to no avail. Gentleman and all around good Sportsman Phil Kingman stayed out of the fray to let us race, although I'm sure he really wanted to join in.

Race 1 was dominated by Phil, as far as the FF/CFF's go. Only Ellingson gave him a chase. Race 2, I was able to battle Ellingson pretty well, but he still won. Race 3, too much fun, Ellingson again, see above. Race 4, I started from the back, got a good start and worked my way thru traffic, by Lap 3 was within striking distance of Brad once again, except that he drives faster than I. I should say I was next in line behind him, but too far, and then the car and I began to fade, me faster than my car. I ended up waving both Tipsword and Kingham past, and held on to 2nd in FF.

All in all, a great weekend of racing. Except for a FV laying down an oil slick of BP proportions, (T3 to T6) no major incidents. Both Pat and Ethan Mackey completed two races, so hopefully they have the demons exorcised from their car. Ethan improved from a 1:25 or so three weeks ago to a 1:18 this weekend, so soon he'll be competitive. Marty Handberg had some fuel problems on Sat, think he got that resolved, Tom Stillwell was back with Allan Murray sharing Tom's car.

Steve Barkley
    Euroswift SE-1 FF #10

"you run into the nicest people in racing"

Default Fit at Blackhawk

I thought I saw Tim Wise was pre-registered with his Fit powered Swift. Did he not show?

Liked: 190

Cindy,

Tim was there all weekend, but was having shake down issues. Here are the posted results for your veiwing pleasure:

http://www.bvrscca.org/2010/Regional/Quadregional.htm
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 23

I was there primarily crewing for Jim Nash who was in his FFirst. My shake down was simply that.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 50

Default Video from Blackhawk

Here are a couple of video clips from the Group 4 ( FF / CFF ) race at Blackhawk:

Opening Lap of each of the 4 races:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cse_qShiyPc

Final 7(?) laps of race 4, Tom Tipsword beats Phil Kingham by a nose:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Koxip_Dv0
    Michael Ray
    Crew for CFF #27 Phil Kingham

Liked: 42

Tim,

Glad you made it on track, hopefully it went well.

CONGRATS to Brad, a sweep of four FF wins, nice!
    That could be a once in a lifetime kind of deal, enjoy.

Good to see Drenth out with the Eagle also,

WAY TO GO PAT MACKEY, 'in the teens!' when you're there, youre getting BFR figured out. Good Job.

And nice job Tipsword, keeping Phil from getting the big head, and keeping him hungry...

I wish I would have ran down for a day to come watch, Nice group of Fords,looks like you guys had fun, Four races, two days, way different kind of schedule versus standing around and waiting at a National.
    Last edited by mblanc; 05.18.10 at 7:45 PM. Reason: 'cause
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 9

I have to say, that picture doesn't do it justice. It was great racing! Thanks Steve!! Thanks to PK too...we fought a bit and he was nice enough to let Steve and I have our race. Very happy to see him come away with a track record. A memorable weekend to be sure. I hope I get to do it again.
    Currently Without Car

What a return to the race track, Brad! A four-fer. Congratulations to you, too. I wish to heck I could have been there with you guys.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Ellingson View Post
    I have to say, that picture doesn't do it justice. It was great racing! Thanks Steve!! Thanks to PK too...we fought a bit and he was nice enough to let Steve and I have our race. Very happy to see him come away with a track record. A memorable weekend to be sure. I hope I get to do it again.

Liked: 50

Default Video of Steve Barkley & Brad Ellingson from BHF

Steve Barkley was interested in seeing some of the video from races 2 & 3. These clips are about 10 minutes each. They show the race between Steve and Brad Ellingson from on board Phil Kinghams CFF.

Saturday - Race 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOYDKGgpmQw

Sunday - Race 3:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhLlrYZn2-I
    Michael Ray
    Crew for CFF #27 Phil Kingham

Default Video of Steve & Brad from BHF -THANKS

Thanks for posting the videos Mike. Race 3, Phil must have been driving the camera car for the Documentary?? Looks like he's the Race Videographer! Loved the way he'd get the camera in close, then drop back, then close again. Very professional photo work!

Thanks again Phil for letting us race, especially considering, you just might have been able to pass us both and run away!

Steve Barkley
    Euroswift SE-1 FF #10

doesn't surprise me, steve, phil is someone who is great to run close with, fast and totally aware . . . he's given me room when he needn't have to let me race FF leaders, a class act

sounds like you all had a great weekend, this quad thing just might stick around . . . ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by racingflyboy View Post
    Thanks for posting the videos Mike. Race 3, Phil must have been driving the camera car for the Documentary?? Looks like he's the Race Videographer! Loved the way he'd get the camera in close, then drop back, then close again. Very professional photo work!

Thanks again Phil for letting us race, especially considering, you just might have been able to pass us both and run away!

Steve Barkley
    Euroswift SE-1 FF #10

This was the first time I'd met Phil, helluva Driver, great guy. (Truthfully, I am amazed at all the wonderful people in this game) Phil tho?, I'm glad he's in a CFF Best quote of the weekend. Phil's son, he's what 5 or so? Cute kid. I asked him, is that your Dad? He says yeah. I said, well he's pretty darn fast isn't he? And the kid puts his hands on his hips, looks me in the eye and says, "yeah, well he SPUN OUT today". Man, that's harsh! His own son. God I laughed (inside, of course.)

I really do like the Quad Race format, but I must admit, physically and mentally, it beats the hell outta me. 18 laps x2/day. Maybe little shorter races. Of course, I came down with a nasty cold, that didn't help. The 8 laps Sprints last Fall were great, but they were maybe a little too short. Worked for me though, I can drive sort of OK for a short period! Spinello didn't get me until the 16 lap final race Then there was the 18(?) lappers in the nice waaaarrrm July Firecracker........thought we'd all melt.

Brainerd is going to be a four race format. Come on up! July is the only month it's never snowed in Minnesota! (tell me again, why the hell do I live here?) Oof dah!

I'm going to drive the new BIR track in the Chumpcar race in June. Tell you what. You come up, all of you out there, I'll show you the way arourd the track, and YOU can show me how to go around it FAST!

Steve Barkley
    Euroswift SE-1 FF #10
    Last edited by racingflyboy; 05.21.10 at 7:20 AM.

Contributing Member

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I just try to treat others as I'd like to be treated. I definitely had the best seat in the house for Brad and Steve's exciting race. I forget about the camera, though, so I can't take any credit as a cinematographer.

The comment from my son Mark (4 years old, actually) cracks me up. He knows I hate it when I make mistakes.

I have to agree with Steve on the format. If the races were 4 laps shorter, it would be perfect. I was pretty worn out by the end of the weekend, and then the 6 hour tow was a bit painful.

Phil

Thread Information