Contributing Member zangyomotorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 36

Default Vector Fit Engine Installation Inquiry

I would like to understand if there is any interest regarding a Honda Fit engine installation kit for the Vector. I'm assuming the 1993-1996 Vector FF 1.6l & FC 2.0l have the same dry sump/transmission adapter case unit. If there is enough interest, an engine installation kit might be made available. If anyone might know the number of Vector FF/FC cars inported into the USA and Canada, this information would help also.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by zangyomotorsports; 04.21.10 at 3:47 PM.

Liked: 0

Default I know of two possible cars....

Scott Schuessler of WA said he would like to try a Honda motor in his new Vector. He was impressed with my FIT powered DB-1 at the recent MAM double regional.

Also the Darren Brown Vector for sale in Texas is now a roller. It would be a great canidate for the Honda.
    Glen Tomlinson
    Mid-West Region SCCA
    www.tomlinsonengineeringllc.com

Default Honda Fit in Vector

Here are a few photos of the Honda Fit initial installation in a 1993 Vector purchased as a roller. The Vector was initially designed to allow the Ford Zetec, Kent, and the Pinto engine. Therefore, there is plently of room in the engine bay allowing the Honda Fit to be installed. The only tight area is around the alternator and the original fuel filler bracket.

Most of my time has been spent in chassis restoration, so build progress is at a slow pace. Frame is partially sand blasted and will eventually be completely sand blasted and powder coated upon completion, Welds needed in Al bellhousing, steering rack needs rebuild, fuel tank had corner protectors added and re sealed in an autoclave as it's a rubber Premier product, all aluminum will be replaced including a new floor, etc. Big hobby project...

The adapter is designed, and I'm planning or ordering 3 sets. If there are any other Vector owners interested in purchasing an installition kit, please let me know by PM as the costs will decrease with volume. 2 kits will be available to purchase based on speculation. The adapter plate is 38mm wide, and the original Vector Kent spacer will not be utilitzed.

Unlike the Swift and Van Diemen kits, this kit will require some welding for the front lower mount and the rear lower mount, but we will keep the welding to a very minimal level. The Frame on a Vector was nickel-bronze brazed. Front engine mount bracket shown is for mock up only.

The Fit engine build is from a salvage yard with just a few miles on it. The engine was from an automatic car so a new flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch were procured. Engine build was very straightforward, especially with the HPD engine assembly supervisor assisting !

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Fit

I saw Steve Oseth's Citation/Fit over the weekend, and it was a beautiful installation. Steve was very pleased with everything about the engine. I'm wishing I would have kept my 89 Reynard and...well, no, since it had the unique gearbox casting. Let's just say that I think the Fit engine is the best thing to hit FF since the Hewland gearbox!

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Default Project Update

Well, this project has been on the slow burn.

The frame needed 7 patches under the fuel cell, all new aluminum panels, and a new steering rack.

Some welding is needed for the engine lower front and rear mounts.

Completed:
    1. Adapter Plate
    2. Input shaft
    3. Clutch release bearing extended piston
    4. Front Engine Mount Bracket Front upper (bolt on) and lower (weld on)
    5. Rear Engine Mount Bracket (weld On)

Remaining:
    1. Oil system plumbing; will install a small oil cooler
    2. Exhaust; planning to exit out the side
    3. Cooling; might make the plunge for 2 new rads as there is epoxy all over one
    4. Fuel system: Using mostly the DB-1 scheme with the HPD PRV inside the cell, but trying a new Denso pump instead of the Walboro. Tank was resealed with patches in all corners and an aluminum plated added to the side for the electrical pump.
    5. Electrical system: all new with a modern CAN logger dash.
    Looks like several months out..

Will shake it down and race before offering any parts for sale.

Liked: 1417

Hey Philip, if you're still lurking out there, did you ever get this finished and on the track?

Default Vector Fit Status

Hi Doug,
    Longest rebuild ever, I might be a record holder....., Job transfer back to road cars with a move back to Ohio, last teenager graduates next month,... I need to finish the Vector this summer, plumbing and electrical.
    Most likely I will shake it down and sell.... (I'm really waiting for it to be vintage eligible, at my pace, it will happen)

typical excuses, Philip
    Last edited by zangyomotorsports; 04.18.20 at 7:49 AM.

8. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 1432

Very cool! I somehow missed this thread. Thanks for the bump. I've never driven one but always intrigued by the Vector being a monoshock. I remember Darren Brown had one a while back and it always looked really wide especially considering it was before wide track was the rage.

I'd bet with a Honda and some tweaking this could be a very competitive car.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 99

Quote Originally Posted by zangyomotorsports View Post
    Most likely I will shake it down and sell
    . I was looking forward to Honda engineers on track! In Honda(s)!
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

Default Vector

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Very cool! I somehow missed this thread. Thanks for the bump. I've never driven one but always intrigued by the Vector being a monoshock. I remember Darren Brown had one a while back and it always looked really wide especially considering it was before wide track was the rage.

I'd bet with a Honda and some tweaking this could be a very competitive car.
    Hi Reid,
    Nice interview on the FF podcast.

Yes this car is Darren Brown's car that he last raced at the 2009 RunOffs at Road Atlanta. It's strange how some engineers became lost with track width. The widest track width that rules allow is always better for vehicle dynamics, and has the same effect as reducing the center of gravity in regards of lateral weight transfer during cornering. The only merit to a narrow track is for aero reasons if the tires could be packaged for drag or down force benefits.
    Last edited by zangyomotorsports; 04.18.20 at 8:47 AM.

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Hi Reid,
    Nice interview on the FF podcast.

Yes this car is Darren Brown's car that he last raced at the 40th. It's strange how some engineers became lost with track width. The widest track width that rules allow is always better for vehicle dynamics, and has the same effect as reducing the center of gravity in regards of lateral weight transfer during cornering. The only merit to a narrow track is for aero reasons if the tires could be packaged for drag or down force benefits.
    Thank you my friend. I hope I came across as objective.

Hurry up and finish that thing! We all want to see some more pictures - we have nothing else to do haha!

Default Interesting floor

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Thank you my friend. I hope I came across as objective.

Hurry up and finish that thing! We all want to see some more pictures - we have nothing else to do haha!
    Hi Reid,
    ok I will bite

Here is an interesting picture. The early Vectors have a 1 inch dome in the front floor. It's a vary precarious shape to see in a floor,
    I left it there when I replaced the floor. After meeting Wiet Huidekoper, he informed me the purpose was to add down-force, or in the case of FF cars, to remove high speed front lift. He stated it was never tested, and designed based on experience only..... I guess I could complete straight line testing and block if off and measure the difference in damper travel to get the down-force difference. I would bet it's a big zero effect. Maybe if it was vented to the top between? my legs, I would get some downforce aka F1 S-duct.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Wow, that's interesting!

By any chance, did you work with Gunnar Lindstrom at HPD?
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    Wow, that's interesting!

By any chance, did you work with Gunnar Lindstrom at HPD?
    Hi Garey,
    I believe Gunnar was already retired when I transferred to HPD in 2007. We would meet up with him at the various SoCal events as he ran a Lola in Club Ford.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Did darren race that car at the 40th? I just looked through 2600 photos from that weekend and I can't find one photo of it! Was it the same paint as in your photos?

That's awesome! And they stole my idea, haha! I always wonder why there wasn't a little 1" recess in the front of FFs. I never knew that. Now I want one even more! Back in the days of skinny rear tires I had thought about cutting the middle of the lower frame out and making a 1" rise from about the back of the fuel sell and transition it to the back with the undertray. Make it like a little tunnel. Like you said, I have no idea if it would work. I always figured if it didn't do anything I'd put the car up on a stand between sessions and make it easy to see just to mess with people!

Thanks for sharing.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 142

stop giving me ideas for the vector slider i bought over the winter!!!!!!
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

24. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Vector

Quote Originally Posted by dc View Post
    Did darren race that car at the 40th? I just looked through 2600 photos from that weekend and I can't find one photo of it! Was it the same paint as in your photos?
    Hi Doug, Sorry I was incorrect, He was at the 2009 RunOffs. (These photos wee not taken by me)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zangyomotorsports; 04.18.20 at 9:01 AM.

26. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Hi Doug, Sorry I was incorrect, He was at the 2009 RunOffs. (These photos wee not taken by me)

Sweet! Thanks for those.

Thread Information