Liked: 84

Default Difference between a Van Diemen DP and RF model

I see a couple of VD FB conversions, most are RF models but there is one that is a Elan Van Diemen DP-04. I guess my question is what are the differences between the DP and RF? which is best for an FB conversion? which one, in general, is a better one to own?? Thanks to everyone helping and answering all these crazy questions that I've been asking throughout this website, everyone is so helpful and friendly. I don't want to rush into buying something and regretting it, so I really appreciate the help.

JP

Liked: 309

John, the DP chassis are the Formula Ireland/Netherlands school-car chassis, and are a bit wider and taller than an RF chassis to accommodate a larger driver.

To repeat...a DP chassis does NOT have to be converted as it is already set up for a m/c engine. You may need to change the engine if it has too large a displacement (IIRC they originally came with 1137cc Honda Blackbird engines).
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Stan, which would you say is a better chassis? is one a more competitive chassis in the FB class? does one handle better than the other? is the DP better because it was designed for a m/c engine? of are the RF's better because they have been around longer and have better development?

Liked: 120

RF = Ralph Firman founder of Vandiemen

DP = Don Panoz, purchased VD, Inc. from Ralph and brought it under the Elan Motorsports Group.

Stan, I'd have to remeasure but I'm pretty sure our DP-08 is shorter than any of our RF-95s.

Liked: 0

The Stohr F1000 is the FB to buy.
    http://www.stohr.com/

The DP08's wheel base is much longer then a RF95 by 4 or 5 inches

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McCarthy View Post
    RF = Ralph Firman founder of Vandiemen

DP = Don Panoz, purchased VD, Inc. from Ralph and brought it under the Elan Motorsports Group.

Stan, I'd have to remeasure but I'm pretty sure our DP-08 is shorter than any of our RF-95s.
    Good point, Dennis. The Van Diemen FC chassis changed configuration every couple of years from the early 90's to the early 00's, and whether one model is wider or taller depends on which is being compared to which.

John, in general, the DP04 chassis is quite similar to a 2002-on VD/RF chassis, but does have some differences. Also, IIRC the chassis sold as the DP04 here in the States predates Elan's purchase of Van Diemen and was another Ralph Firman design. IIRC, that chassis had been around for a number of years in Europe with both m/c and auto-engine variants before appearing here as the FE and DP04. One potentially important difference is that the DP04's uprights are different to those of the FC chassis line, and are set up for 4-pot aluminum calipers, as opposed to the 2-pot iron calipers that come on FC cars. I'd check with conversion car owners to see if that is proving a limitation.

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

for instance which car (if equally priced) would be the preferred FB to own:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38891

or

[FONT=Calibri]http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38380[/FONT]

I hope I'm not crossing any lines by asking people to compare two members cars but I'm new and don't know enough to make a good judgement.

Liked: 0

I've looked at both models of cars and I have a clear favorite because of my size. The conversion VD has a smaller cockpit and engine bay. If you are of a large size the DP-04 is probably better if not the smaller car also translates into more aerodynamic (well, most likely) and that particular conversion referenced has all the right stuff.

In addition, if you want to go with a dry sumped engine make sure that there is room under the bodywork for the oil tank in a convenient (and not highly compromised... read, hot) location.

You really need to look at both and sit in both.

Just my two cents (and worth every penny).

Hasty Horn

a lot of people are telling me that I need to sit in any car I consider because of the "fit". I'm 5'11" 200lbs. I'm not small but I'm not really big either, will I fit in a narrower chassis or should I be looking at something larger?
    I know that a lot comes from personal preference but I'm trying to find out which is better chassis more than anything. So assuming I fit into both, which is the better handling, more competitive, easier to set-up and work on, better technology etc. etc. etc.???

Liked: 43

John,

I'm 5'11" and about 190lbs. I fit in my RF 99 conversion. You should make a seat in any of the cars you buy to custom fit your seating position and body support. I adjusted my pedals to give me a bit more leg room but that was no big deal. I have wide shoulders and long arms so I removed a shim from behind the steering wheel to help take some bend out of my elbows. The cars generally will fit someone of your size with little or no modification.

As far as the difference between the RF or DP is concerned there are more RF's that have been run and is more data available for set up and spare parts. Parts availability should also be in your decision process. Either way, both of these cars would be great cars to have.

Liked: 273

Default VD Conversion a better choice

In my opinion the Novak VD converion on the 99 chassis is a much better choice. You'll be hard pressed with the DP04 to make minimum weight.....you more than likely will end up with a car that's 40-60 lbs. heavy...not good for reducing lap times.

The Novak conversion in the right hands is competitive and the parts supply is almost endless.

I'm 6'-2 180lbs. and fit in a VD

Gary Hickman
    FB #76

Liked: 896

Thanks for the kind words Gary. Hector's car is a steal at that price. I would buy it myself if Brian was not doing the Pro FE series.

Thanks ... Jay Novak
    WWW.Novaracecars.com

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    The Novak conversion in the right hands is competitive and the parts supply is almost endless.
    This. Every serious competitor and manufacturer in FB showed up to the ARRC last year. Coop's track record that he set in his Novak conversion is still standing. It's a no-excuses car.

Thread Information