Liked: 0

Default Montreal Grand Prix

June 11-12-13

Two Races Added to the Montreal F1 Grand Prix Weekend Schedule

Close to 40 drivers from the North East Are Expected for the
    Return of the Formula 1600 Series at the Canadian Grand Prix

Montréal, March 24, 2010 One of the Quebec crowd favorite open-wheel series, Formula 1600, is returning to the Canadian Grand Prix as a support series for the June 11-13 weekend of activities on Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Octane Racing Group, promoter of the event, is happy to announce today that close to 40 drivers from Québec, Ontario and the North East of the United States are expected to take part in the two races scheduled for Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. A regular feature on the Grand Prix program, Formula 1600 last competed during an F1 weekend in 2007 “If there is an open wheel series where Quebec drivers are plentiful, it’s in the Formula 1600 Series, said François Dumontier, president of Octane Racing Group and promoter of the event . "Not only does this group of motor racing passionates always put on a great show on the track, they also make their presence felt in the Canadian Grand Prix support paddocks with great social gatherings with family, friends, and fans. We are happy to support them once again with an opportunity to be part of our event. Our numerous Quebec supporters can relate in many ways to the drivers of that series, and it is important that a local motor car series be part of our race weekend. Despite many drawbacks, those who oversee the Formula 1600 keep this open wheel series running with seasoned veterans clashing against up and coming drivers.”

“We are happy to return to the Canadian Grand Prix. For all our drivers, team members and their sponsors, this is great news,” remarked Marcel Lafontaine, driver and also President of the Formula Tour 1600. “Everyone loves to run at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, and to know that we will be sharing the same track, the same podium on the same weekend as Formula One drivers is an extraordinary source of motivation. Once again, I am convinced that the level of competition will be very high. I think that this announcement will draw close to 40 drivers from Quebec, the Atlantic Provinces, Ontario and the United States to come and compete at the Canadian Grand Prix.”

This type of series has a long and glorious 40 years of motor racing history. Michael Schumacher, Jenson Button, Mark Webber, Pedro de la Rosa, and Adrian Sutil of the current field of Formula One drivers have all excelled in this series at the beginning of their career. Former World Champions Mika Hakkinen, Damon Hill, James Hunt, Nigel Mansell, Jody Scheckter, and the great Ayrton Senna, just to name a few, have all made their marks in this open wheel series. The current Canadian version of the F1600 championship uses spec engines and tires. The wingless open wheel cars are powered by a four-cylinder Ford engine, and are shod on Dunlop treaded tires used for dry and wet track conditions. To illustrate the range of ages of drivers that compete in Formula 1600, fans could see at the Canadian Grand Prix 16-year old up-and-coming Quebec driver Jerimy Daniel locking wheels with racing enthusiast Lewis MacKenzie, born in Truro, Nova Scotia in 1940.

For information on how to be part of that race contact :

Francois Leblanc
    1-514-269-0065
    francoisleblanc@videotron.ca
    Last edited by fleblanc; 03.31.10 at 2:07 PM.

Liked: 799

Just read on the FormulaTour site that they had already reached their limit of 40 (!) registered drivers, so the organizers have now upped that to 45. Might be some spots open for anyone still undecided.

Worth coming up just to see it :-)

Liked: 120

Default Montreal FF1600

Entry fee is $1354.50. KR.

Liked: 99

Default Montreal GP FF event

I would really like to go back and try the FF support event again.I went in 93 and 94 it was great fun. Mike Sauce

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Thats only about $1300 in US dollars
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 99

Default Montral GP FF event.

That is a pretty hefty entry fee hopefully some of its goes to the purse.If I remember right I won in 1994 and got 1500.00 Canadian and the entry fee was about 450.00 Canadian.What does it pay to place and win?

I'll see if they'll tell me over the phone tomorrow....

Liked: 6

Default Gears

What gears are recommended for Circuit Gilles Villeneuve?

Thanks,
    Sam

Default these will get you started

24/26
    22/30
    19/32
    16/34

Default gears

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    24/26
    22/30
    19/32
    16/34
    Thanks!

Contributing Member

Default gears

Hi Sam

What ring and pinion do you have to make sure you get the right ratio's

Default R&P

Quote Originally Posted by TIM CLOWATER View Post
    Hi Sam

What ring and pinion do you have to make sure you get the right ratio's
    Good point.
    10:31 R&P

Contributing Member

Default gears for Montreal

The gears that were recommended to me for a 10:31 are close to Lotus7's recommendations 16:35 , 19:32 , 21:29 or 22:30 , 24:27 .

Default Gears

Quote Originally Posted by TIM CLOWATER View Post
    The gears that were recommended to me for a 10:31 are close to Lotus7's recommendations 16:35 , 19:32 , 21:29 or 22:30 , 24:27 .
    This really helps confirm my gear choices. I had planned to substitute my 16:35 and 21:29 for the 2 gear sets that Lotus7 recommended but that I didn't have.

Thanks!
    Sam
    FF#166 in Montreal

Default Working corners at Montreal, say hello please

I will be a flagging marshal in Montreal this year and look forward to flag the FF races. Good luck to all of you who will represent this superb community.
    I am sure the spectators will appreciate all your efforts.

See you soon.

Cheers.
    Stommelen
    (brake operator of a Cortina RF83 and corner worker for all sort of competitive auto and moto racing )

[FONT=Monaco]Get reddy to change 4 th gear as a head or tail wind on the long strait makes a big differance !!! WELCOME TO MONTREAL !!![/FONT]

Thread Information