Thread: St. Pete P1

Liked: 12

Default St. Pete P1

Last edited by nulrich; 03.28.10 at 10:13 AM. Reason: bad timing info

Mike Foschi

I think the timing system link crashed because the total time clock stopped also.

I think you're right. Here's the official time sheet from the USF2000 web site:

http://usf2000.com/results/2010/rd-0...actice%201.pdf

Karam, Sala, Searcy, Power, Fielding, Abbate, McKenna, Goikhberg, Mansur, Greenamyer.

Looks like about 3.5 seconds cover the top ten, some drivers got 10-12 laps total.

Nathan

Liked: 1

Default Engine?

Anyone using the Mazda engine? Is there parity between the Zetec and MZR?

-Keegan

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

any trackside reporting ?

Liked: 6

Default St Pete

We're having a good run this weekend. Top Zetec. Right now no one that I know is screaming about a lack of parity, although I'll offer up Ben's fastest lap data to compare.

The turnoout IS modest for USF2000, but the series folks are very accoomdating and fair in the interest of promoting participation.

We'll see how Qualifying goes. The video from Ben's car on this track is VERY cool, but with the spec gears we're barely getting into 4th on the front straight.

I'll youtube something later..
    Ron

Last edited by nulrich; 03.28.10 at 10:14 AM. Reason: detente

Default MZR's

There are 5 MZR's - Both Cape cars, 2 JDC cars (Goikberg in a Zetec) and Sage Karam for Andretti.

Right now Karem is the target.
    Ron

Liked: 142

Quote Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
    We're having a good run this weekend. Top Zetec.
    go searcy!!!!!!
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 0

For those interested, live timing can be viewed via www.usf2000timing.com. It can be viewed on your computer or on a mobile phone such as an I phone.
    As to engine parity, Steve Knapp, our engine builder, confirms that it appears we have succeeded in this effort, but we will certainly continue to monitor that. Steve and the great staff at Elite have done an awesome job on the engines and installation kits, and our hats are off to them all.
    Although we do have a more modest field than we expect going forward, it is clear that we have a lot of talented young guns (I would say that nearly everyone here, in fact, can win), and it is fun to watch them on track. I am a little disappointed in only one National class entry, and hopefully we'll see more at upcoming events.

Mobile coverage permitting I can try to offer some coverage of the Q1 session today from the track. Heading over there now.
    Brent Borland

Armsup Motorsports LLC
    http://www.armsupmotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Andersen View Post
    As to engine parity, Steve Knapp, our engine builder, confirms that it appears we have succeeded in this effort, but we will certainly continue to monitor that.
    Hi Dan. It's pretty obvious from the initial practice times that the Mazda engine enjoys an advantage, but that certainly makes good business sense, so I don't blame you. If you want to convince sensible people there is engine parity you'll have to provide some sort of real data. Especially here on ApexSpeed...it's a tough crowd.

Although we do have a more modest field than we expect going forward, it is clear that we have a lot of talented young guns (I would say that nearly everyone here, in fact, can win), and it is fun to watch them on track.
    Are you going to continue to give everyone free tires and entry fees and other subsidies going forward, or was it a one time deal for St. Pete?

I am a little disappointed in only one National class entry, and hopefully we'll see more at upcoming events.
    I never understood the attraction of the National (20 hp less) class, which may explain why you had only one entry. Can you give us some reasoning behind it? If you're trying to increase the size of the field, I think you'd do better allowing SCCA-legal cars at something close to parity...but that's just my opinion, I've never run a racing series!

Nathan

Mike Foschi

Default Cut the crap

Quote Originally Posted by nulrich View Post
    Hi Dan. It's pretty obvious from the initial practice times that the Mazda engine enjoys an advantage, but that certainly makes good business sense, so I don't blame you. If you want to convince sensible people there is engine parity you'll have to provide some sort of real data. Especially here on ApexSpeed...it's a tough crowd.

Are you going to continue to give everyone free tires and entry fees and other subsidies going forward, or was it a one time deal for St. Pete?

I never understood the attraction of the National (20 hp less) class, which may explain why you had only one entry. Can you give us some reasoning behind it? If you're trying to increase the size of the field, I think you'd do better allowing SCCA-legal cars at something close to parity...but that's just my opinion, I've never run a racing series!

Nathan

Nathan,

Cut the crap!

You post seems like one of Hazelnuts without the balls to say what you really want to say. Keep out of the way.

Mike Foschi

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foschi View Post
    Nathan,

Cut the crap!

You post seems like one of Hazelnuts without the balls to say what you really want to say. Keep out of the way.

Mike Foschi

thank you fosch! BTW as a hazelnut I've got big NUTS!
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Mike Foschi

Default Nuts

Everyone is aware of your nuts. They are usually on your chin!!

Liked: 1417

Really, is this necessary? From either of you (Nathan & Mike)?

Look, there are two separate Pro series for very different types of competitors. Deal with it already, unless you both want to be off of the forums for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Andersen View Post
    Although we do have a more modest field than we expect going forward, it is clear that we have a lot of talented young guns
    I've yet to have much coffee today, as such, I'll give credit where credit is due. Despite my opinions as to the series (FYI I'm not baiting a fight here carter) gathering up cars and starting a series isn't an easy task. So well done for at least pulling it together and getting a dozen cars rolling. In truth the field is bigger than I had originally expected.

subsidies? Free tires and entry? why didn't I get a call with that offer?!?!?!?! It's because I'm Buddhist right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foschi View Post
    They are usually on your chin!!
    nope. i'm still working on it though, but unfortunatly I got this one last vertebrae that's in the way.

Man I'm in a giving kinda mood today. More credit where credit is due!

The cooper tire girls. Well Done!!!!

How old is the driver? The tire girls look barely 18 ( ), and they look a hell of a lot older than him.

(the picture was changed)
    Last edited by HazelNut; 03.27.10 at 3:39 PM. Reason: the photo changed!

Liked: 14

the driver is one of the 15 year olds that the apex 'experts' were predicting would be smeared all over the street circuit walls.

well done Sage and AA. A good driver and a professional team.

Hell he isnt that far off Milka in the big car.....damn thats really sad
    Last edited by KevinFirlein; 03.27.10 at 10:57 AM.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Hopefully Ben and ZSports can close the gap. I'm really pulling for Ben as from what Ive gathered, he is quite possibly the only deserving one who hasn't been/being spoon fed.

Ben's a closer, he will show it in the race.
    Matthew Inge
    http://www.MatthewIngeRacing.com
    Never Forget VT 4-16-2007

Liked: 14

field seems relatively close to each other except that Sage is out and gone. Will be curious to see how season plays out as more cars join and at different tracks. Damn strong showing for team and driver at 1st race for each with this equiment.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

I went to this event to see what it was all about and to see the Indycar race. I was dragging my feet, but if my funding comes through,I am in with my kid. That was one great presentation.
    Anybody who knows racing could see that the engines appeared very close. Sage simply drove the wheels off that car and obviously it wasn't a horsepower advantage. He is a nice kid too and I spoke to him after the race. The team was very prepared.
    I am looking forward to tomorrow's race.

Couple of points I need to make:
    1. We offered a "past champions" promotion that included tires and entry fees, but we had no takers. Cole Morgan and Chris Miller were both close to competing at St Pete, but at the last minute those deals fell through. If Nathan knows of anyone getting free tires or entries, please let me know specifically who that might be. Fact is, our field all paid for their tires and entries.
    2. The parity is working nicely between Mazda and Zetec engines, thank you. Qualifying saw a top five of Mazda's 1, 3 and 5 and Zetec's 2 and 4. There are no games being played to benefit any engine, Steve Knapp has done his best to equalize things, and I am extremely impressed with his work. Three very solid teams are running the five Mazda powered cars, and it is wrong to detract from their efforts or the efforts of their drivers by claiming their choice of engines is somehow benefitting them. Anyone who has serious questions about our engine program should call Steve Knapp. He is an honest guy, and will provide details for interested competitors.
    3. We never intended the National class to be equalized to the Championship class. It is a class of SCCA legal cars with less HP than the Championship class, and they race for their own purses and awards, and a nice year-end prize. The opportunity to compete on some great venues and race against other cars in the same class is what we offer, and hopefully we'll see more competitors at future races.

It is Saturday evening and we have had two practice sessions, a qualifying session, and a 20 lap race, and I am proud of the showing these young drivers have displayed. The two yellows were not for big crashes, and all cars will be there tomorrow quite easily. I still cannot understand the seeming strong desire by some to make snarky comments and wish for problems on us, or worse, make things up and spread untruths around. We are not perfect by nay means, and we are not for everyone. I can accept criticism of what I do without question, but let's not detract from my teams or drivers without real proof. These teams and drivers are in the arena of competition and are working hard to do well, and I have a lot of respect for them all, as I do for those competing in other series as well. Based on past history, it may well be a mistake for me to post this response, but it just amazes me what some people will say to diminish others.

I appreciate Doug's efforts to clean things up, on this website and I am not at all trying to start any wars here. I don't make it a practice to take shots at other series, and in my opinion each series can and will promote the program they feel will best meet the needs of the group or type of people they are attempting to satisfy. I think that our series has clearly established and stated goals, and we will do our best to provide our drivers with what they need to climb the open wheel ladder, and to provide our teams with the kind of value they can sell to drivers and survive as businesses in the racing world. Some may disagree with the way I do things, and that's fine. I learned a long time ago that I will not please everyone, nor should I try. Of course I am hopeful that more drivers will try us out, but one way or another, we will build our fields and be a place that offers good training.

Sorry for the long winded response.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Dan,
    Congrats on a good start.

Dan:

Congratulations on a successful first race.

I would respond to your post point by point, but apparently anything I say or any questions I ask, no matter how respectful or polite, might be construed as "potshots" or "snarky" (or evidence that I lack "balls" ) so I'm going to "keep out of the way."

Just to be clear, I have no affiliation, financial interest, or position with any racing series. I'm just an engineer who likes racing technology.

Good luck!

Nathan

Liked: 201

I don't think todays performance by AA was anything too different than Cape in 2002. They figured out a package before the rest of the teams and it shows. Good for them, I am sure the races will get closer as the season goes on. Blaming it on the motor though, I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Inge View Post
    Hopefully Ben and ZSports can close the gap. I'm really pulling for Ben as from what Ive gathered, he is quite possibly the only deserving one who hasn't been/being spoon fed.

Ben's a closer, he will show it in the race.
    Thanks for the kind words, Matt. We're working our butts off to make it happen for Ben. He's a good shoe and deserves a bit of a break against the better funded programs.

Ben was taken out by an overexuberant late braker into T1 who sent the mess into Ben and out of P2 at the time. Now, we get to start from the back in Race 2.

The series is working through the first event teething issues and we're loving every minute of it. Just like we love every minute of the F2KC and SCCA FC. Probably to the point of stupidity.

Dan, John, Steve and Michelle are working hard to make this happen. The motor's are not an issue for us so far. I have the dyno curves for both and the Zetec and MZR and right now we're not concerned. We do have some issues with procedures and rules enforcment, but have decided that, just like the series has offered the teams, it is best to offer some leeway until things settle out.

Wish us luck. We need to run down that kid in the red car......
    Ron

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

nathan,
    the reason your comments were construed as potsthots or snarky is because that is exactly what they were. at least that's how i took them.

mark d

Quote Originally Posted by jim morgan View Post
    Dan,
    Congrats on a good start.
    Thanks, Jim. I really wish Cole were in the races here, he would've done well and had some fun. Maybe later this year...

Liked: 59

Congrats Dan! I wish you success with the Series. And I think you got the best of the weather. Looks like rain Sunday pm.

Liked: 91

Having run the National (Gold Cup) class in 2006 with the old Cooper Tires Series, I would argue that it is a useful program. Although I didn't get the recognition that J.R. Hildebrand, Dane Cameron, or the rest of the front runners did, I had a great time and grew tremendously as a driver. I honestly didn't deserve the recognition though, and anyone running the "B" class knows going in that you're not going to be the star of the show. You're not fighting for the big title, but a smart driver will use the experience to grow as a racer. I consistently ran in the 12th-16th area of the field which meant I always had someone to race, regardless of class or HP, and I also developed a ton of race craft by doing so. Having less HP, I had to learn how to use my corner speeds and momentum to pass the faster Zetecs.

I am sure as the USF2000 field grows you will see more National class cars joining, and also running amongst the mid pack Zetec/Mazda powered cars. Even though I was unable to put a deal together to run at St. Pete I would have jumped at the opportunity. I have an incredible respect for Dan Andersen, Michelle Kish, and everyone working with the Series. I don't know the ins and outs of starting a racing series, but I would assume it is no easy task. This is another reason I look up to and respect Rand, Wright, and the Guibords, as well as the guys who put together the Pacific series. They all have more intestinal fortitude than I can imagine having and no matter how big or small, successful or unsuccessful their efforts are, they sit a little higher in my book.

Dan, John and Michelle, congrats on a successful start to a new/revitalized series. I wish you the best and would love the opportunity to run with your program in the future.

Rand, Wright, and the Guibords, congrats on what looks to be another great year of racing, I am grateful once again to be part of your series.

How about we all just sit back and enjoy the fact that Pro F2000 racing is the best of the best in this country no matter what series you run.

Liked: 3

I totally agree with Cole's statement :

How about we all just sit back and enjoy the fact that Pro F2000 racing is the best of the best in this country no matter what series you run.

Thread Information