Liked: 0

Default JR Osborne "Spins and Wins" in Round 6 of the 2010 F1000 Pro Series

JR Osborne repeated his performance from Saturday to win Round 6 of the 2010 F1000 Pro Series at Thunderhill Raceway, California.

Sunday's morning qualifying session saw overcast clouds and cool temperatures. The 20 minute session was plagued by two black flag stoppages that saw many cars in the national group struggle to get heat into their tires. As a result nearly all the drivers had diifficulty getting a clean lap in what was a very brief qualifying session.

Gary Hickman failed to complete a lap in qualifying as he suffered from clutch issues while Nicholas Woodman was forced to start at the back due to sound violation.

The starting order for the race was:

1. JR Osborne, Stohr
    2. Phil De La O, Phoenix
    3. Nicholas Belling, Firman
    4. Russ Werner, Phoenix
    5. Lucian Pancea, Stohr
    6. David Palmer, Stohr
    7. Gary Hickman, Edge
    8. Nicholas Woodman. Stohr

As the cars formed on the pre-grid for the race start the overcast clouds blew away to brilliant sunshine and warm tempertures.

As on the previous day the FB field took the green flag in a split start approximately 30 seconds after the main field of national competitors. At the first corner Belling managed to scrabble pass De La O for second while Woodman working from the back of the grid advanced as well.

As the cars exited the Eagle's Nest (turn 5) on lap one the order was Osborne, Belling, De La O, Werner, Woodman, Hickman, Pancea, and Palmer. The race was already shaping up to be an interesting one. It was put on hold the following lap as the first of three full course yellows came out for crews to tow in a FE that had stopped on track.

Osborne kept the field at a good 30 seconds back from the main field ahead during this caution period so when the race went green again the pack had clear track ahead of them. As the green came out a hard charging Belling dove in between Osborne and the pitwall and took the lead as the cars headed into turn one. But it all came to tears just yards up the road as Belling spun exiting turn one ending any chances he had of a victory. Woodman following closely behind also spun while attempting to avoid Belling. Both cars were able to resume the race although Belling now with a slight deranged front wing.

As the FB field began to wind their way through the slower cars of the main body ahead the second of the three full course yellows came out. This time one of the CSR's had blown it's engine, leaving a trail of oil from the entry of turn three to the exit of turn five. Dispite the best efforts of the hard working San Francisco Region track crew to clean up the spill it was to play havoc with the field for the remainder of the race.

The race start on lap 9 saw Belling attempting the same pass on Woodman he did on Osborne at the earlier restart with Woodman doing everything he could to keep Belling at bay. The two went at it for most of the lap giving it their all. It all came to grief at turn ten as Belling attempting to pass went off course. He managed to resume however now without a front wing.

Meanwhile, up at the front Osborne manuvered his way through the main field followed closely by De La O. As he exited on the downhill of turn five he ran foul of the oil layed down earlier by the blown engine of the CSR and spun. He quickly recovered to rejoin the race just as De La O was cresting the turn five hill. It would be the closest that De La O would get to taking the race lead and it was a very near thing.

Also working his way through the main field further back was Lucian Pancea completing his first weekend in his new Stohr. Beset with a few teething problems and a slightly nervous car he did well to recover from a quick spin exiting turn one to continue on and finish. David Palmer was another to run foul of the oil at turn five and like Osborne spun on the oil there as well ending his race.

Russ Werner in the Phoenix and Gary Hickman in the Edge resumed their battle from the previous day. This time the battle was for third and the final podium position. As the two raced up to the hill at turn five Werner dived for the inside line forcing Hickman to cede the position. It got worst for Hickman just two corners later as he suffered a right rear wheel failure that sent his Edge into a brutal double 360 spin as it flew off track.

Seconds after Hickman's wild ride was over the final full course yellow came out for multiple stopped cars on the back section of the track with the race ending under the pace car.

The top three positions:

1. JR Osborne, Stohr
    2. Phil De La O. Phoenix
    3. Russ Werner. Phoenix

Will post times and complete results when I receive them.
    Last edited by F1000proseries.com; 03.22.10 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typos

Liked: 706

Quote Originally Posted by F1000proseries.com View Post

Will post times and complete results when I receive them.
    Complete results and times:

Race 2 Results (name, chassis, fast lap)

1. JR Osborne (Stohr)-1:42.986
    2. Phil De La O (Phoenix)-1:43.452
    3. Russ Werner (Phoenix)-1:47.333
    4. Nicholas Woodman (Stohr)-1:45.968
    5. Lucian Pancea (Stohr)-1:51.386
    6. Nicholas Belling (Firman)-1:43.232
    7. Gary Hickman (Edge)-1:48.433
    8. David Palmer (Stohr)-1:51.301
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Thanks for the help Mike. Here are some photos from the event.
    Last edited by F1000proseries.com; 05.29.12 at 11:41 AM.

More from Sunday
    Last edited by F1000proseries.com; 05.29.12 at 11:41 AM.

Liked: 1

Aero updates on the Stohr look awesome and perform good too!

-Keegan
    -Keegan

P1 #84
    Stohr WF1 BMW

Liked: 14

very nice write up.
    it was a good read

Anyone know who had the orange Speads that showed up on Friday but left right away?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Liked: 273

Default Orange Speads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Anyone know who had the orange Speads that showed up on Friday but left right away?
    Mike
    The orange Speads is owned by Garret Smith from Reno. He doesn't have his Nat. license yet but I was told he plans to get one soon. Nicholas Belling I believe may have gotten his contact info.

He ran most of the open test day on Friday with a few problems but I believe he finally got them worked out.

This is the same car that was for sale on Apexspeed early last year...by way of Colorado then Canada...it's changed hands a few times. It's an RM02 model with a 08 GSXR1000 power.

Gary
    FB #76

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Wheel failure?

Gary,what brand of wheel was it that failed at Thunderhill? Any known problems prior to that incident? I heard from a driver who was close behind you that it was "Quite Spetacular"

Liked: 273

Default Spectacular it was

Quote Originally Posted by D.T. Benner View Post
    Gary,what brand of wheel was it that failed at Thunderhill? Any known problems prior to that incident? I heard from a driver who was close behind you that it was "Quite Spetacular"

I'd like to give the manufacturer of this wheel an opportunity to make good on this before I say who it is. They're on top of the situation and once it's resolved I'll let everyone know the outcome. No known problems prior to this just let go without warning...kinda spooky.

It must have been spectacular because it happened mid turn at around 100mph. It put me into the most voilent series of spins I've ever been in. The right rear tire and wheel ended up 1/4 mile away still holding air in might add.

I was bummed to say the least because it cost me a potential podium spot.....as it turns out there's a fair amount of damage to my car, all of which are parts I make so direct out of pocket not so high just lots of time.

Gary
    FB #76

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Spooky ain't the word

Glad to fear you didn't suffer any "body" damage in that one, you must be livin' a good life!
    Hope you get it together soon and at a minimum of $'s out of pocket.

Default 2010 F1000 Pro Series Championship Points

Current Points in the 2010 F1000 Pro Series (after Round 6, Thunderhill)

1. Phil De la O, 33 Pts (2 wins, 1 2nd) and Nicholas Belling, 33 Pts (2 wins, 1 2nd)

3. JR Osborne, 24 Pts (2 wins)

4. Gary Hickman, 18 Pts (2 2nds)

5. (tie) Russ Werner and Nicholas Woodman, 7 Pts

Last edited by F1000proseries.com; 03.24.10 at 8:32 PM. Reason: Goofed on pts. Now correct.

Liked: 984

I don't understand what "making good on it" has to do with reporting the wheel failure. Perhaps there is a design/manufactureing issue, perhaps it is an installation or prior damage/usage issue. Regardless, it would be nice to know what type of wheel it was and what appears to be the root cause so that others might avoid the problem. If you don't want to share, that is certainly your business, but waiting for the manufacturer to make good and replace it does no one else any good.

Quote Originally Posted by F1000proseries.com View Post
    Current Points in the 2010 F1000 Pro Series (after Round 6, Thunderhill)
    Nicholas, can you clarify what round you're on? By my count, this was round 3 & 4:
    Round 1 = Fontana
    Round 2 = Willow Springs
    Round 3 = T-hill #1
    Round 4 = T-hill #2

Are you still counting the races that were cancelled?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Hi Mike, It's Thomas here. I've taken over as Series Administrator. I'm basically doing it all right now including writing up the race reports. I guess it wasn't too bad an effort considering I wrote it hungover at 4am.

You can find our schedule here:

http://www.f1000proseries.com/

We are counting the regionals at both Auto Club and Willow Springs in our Championship. We know that those don't count in your championship so your point total and race tally may differ from ours. We will also count the regional event along with the national at Portland May 7-8 weekend.

Right now we've had:

Round 1 and 2 : Auto Club
    Round 3 and 4: Willow Springs
    Round 5 and 6: Thunderhill

For those curious about the wheel failure it was my understanding from what I remember I heard at Thunderhill is that the issue should not effect anyone else. But I'll let Gary decide if he wants to mention anything else about it.
    Last edited by F1000proseries.com; 03.25.10 at 3:36 AM.

Thread Information