Liked: 12

Default Interesting incentive!

USF2000 Announces Incentive For F2000 Champs to Compete at St. Pete

PALMETTO, Fla., March 1 — Officials of the USF2000 National Championship, which is presented by Cooper Tires and powered by Mazda, are pleased to announce a special package of benefits to former F2000 champions that was designed to help them sample the newly revived series at its season-opening doubleheader on the street course in St. Petersburg, Fla. March 27-28.

The promotion includes free race entry fees for the St. Petersburg Grand Prix USF2000 doubleheader, two free sets of Cooper tires to use that weekend, and a special “meet and greet” with representatives of the Road to Indy ladder program.

“We wish to recognize and honor the accomplishments of these select few drivers who have earned championship titles in F2000 cars, either in SCCA Runoffs competition [in the Formula Continental class] or in one of the two other F2000 series operating in the United States,” said Dan Andersen, series promoter.

“We realize that some of these drivers are still attempting to climb the ladder, and if we can assist that climb by allowing them to showcase their talents in our inaugural event, we are delighted to do so,” added John Andersen, director of competition.

For more information and eligibility confirmation, contact Michelle Kish at the series office
    by telephoning (941) 723-3900 or e-mailing her at info@usf2000.com.

The 14 eligible drivers include:

East Coast (2006-2009)
    Matt McDonough
    Cole Morgan
    Anders Krohn
    Chris Miller

West Coast (2004-2009)
    Brad Jaeger
    Mike Forest
    Robert Podlesni
    Patrick Barrett
    Jeff Westphal

SCCA Runoffs (2001 to 2009)
    Nicki Coello
    Chas Shaffer
    Brian Tomasi
    Mike Andersen
    Andrew Prendeville

Does that mean Cole can show up in his Swift, Matt in a Piper, and Nicki in a Firman? Should be an easy win for any of them!

And what's the "East Coast" series?

Nathan

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

OK, I am stretching the point, a lot, but I am a past FC National Champion.
    Yes, it was 40 years ago [1970], yes we weren't allowed 2 liter motors, yes we ran tube frame cars, yes I ran wings [actually had a rear upright post mounted wing about 6' above the rear tires ! They outlawed high mounted wings for 1971].
    So, maybe Dan will stretch the rules a bit and if I can find a car maybe that would work out ?
    How much fun would that be ?

Liked: 553

Mike, I immediately noticed the glaring absence of your name in those lists. You should be provided with a car (and a head start?) :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    Yes, it was 40 years ago [1970], yes we weren't allowed 2 liter motors, yes we ran tube frame cars, yes I ran wings [actually had a rear upright post mounted wing about 6' above the rear tires ! They outlawed high mounted wings for 1971].
    So, maybe Dan will stretch the rules a bit and if I can find a car maybe that would work out ?
    Rand, You find a car and I'll provide the crew!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 142

Rand's Runoffs Photo! Your championship party must have been wild; bathtub gin, boursin and jazz music as loud as the victrola could crank it out.

Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    Rand, You find a car and I'll provide the crew!
    Find a car I'll gladly crew for you as well.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 0

I am sure Mike is grateful for the offers but keep in mind that he would need to pass the IRL physical in Indy before being able to run. The IRL doctors probably have never seen a driver with a blood type of Merlot before, I doubt he would pass....

Liked: 59

Hey Does this include past Masters Champions.Tom Fatur would probably also like a free entry and tires.
    Yir
    Tim Minor Fc88
    Tim Minor

Liked: 977

Is there an entry list posted?

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    Is there an entry list posted?
    eformula car has 3 entries confirmed:
    http://www.eformulacarnews.com/viewt...c4384f3701993b

Quote Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
    eformula car has 3 entries confirmed:
    http://www.eformulacarnews.com/viewt...c4384f3701993b

everyone gets a trophy!!!!!!!

Mike,
    It would be our pleasure to see you entered in a car for St Pete. We haven't established a "seniors" division yet, but if you would like to lead it off, let's talk. In fact, maybe we should consider a "current F2000 series organizer" promotion, as a tip of the hat to our friendly compatriots in this category....
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Andersen View Post

Mike,
    It would be our pleasure to see you entered in a car for St Pete. We haven't established a "seniors" division yet, but if you would like to lead it off, let's talk. In fact, maybe we should consider a "current F2000 series organizer" promotion, as a tip of the hat to our friendly compatriots in this category....
    Dan
    A "current F2000 series organizer" race? Well I race with Rand all the time and he's still got about 99% of what God gave him. I think the last 1% was flushed out by wine! Now,...Dan I don't remember what year it was but at the end of your RCCA school at Bridgehampton wasn't there a note placed somewhere that taking up another hobby was recommended by your instructor?
    Also as someone that has personally assisted in trying to zip up Foschi's driving suit while sitting in a race car, I would bet a buck that he wouldn't get lapped by Rand but it wouldn't be a "race" either!

Thanks for the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    A "current F2000 series organizer" race? Well I race with Rand all the time and he's still got about 99% of what God gave him. I think the last 1% was flushed out by wine! Now,...Dan I don't remember what year it was but at the end of your RCCA school at Bridgehampton wasn't there a note placed somewhere that taking up another hobby was recommended by your instructor?
    Also as someone that has personally assisted in trying to zip up Foschi's driving suit while sitting in a race car, I would bet a buck that he wouldn't get lapped by Rand but it wouldn't be a "race" either!

Thanks for the memories!
    Hi Mike,
    Sorry, you misunderstood...I was speaking of a promotion wherein we would allow entries from other series organizers into our St Pete event, similar to our "Past Champions" promotion. As to my driving, that's not happening and you are correct, my career ended early when my son kept lapping me. You and Mike Foschi had some good races back in those RCCA days though, it'd be fun to see that revisited. Bridgehampton was the best!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Andersen View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Sorry, you misunderstood...I was speaking of a promotion wherein we would allow entries from other series organizers into our St Pete event, similar to our "Past Champions" promotion. As to my driving, that's not happening and you are correct, my career ended early when my son kept lapping me. You and Mike Foschi had some good races back in those RCCA days though, it'd be fun to see that revisited. Bridgehampton was the best!
    Dan
    Dan, Those were good times I wouldn't trade for a million bucks!

Take care, Mike

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

I have always given Bridgehampton credit for the Northeast turning out good, if not great, drivers in the 1960's and '70's.
    It is much missed and fondly remembered.
    Particularly the race Sunday afternoon to make the last cross Sound ferry thereby avoiding NYC completely and those awful Sunday traffic jams.
    4PM sharp if memory serves it would pull out and it didn't matter if you were there, if you weren't on it, get driving.
    If you could go fast there, you could go fast anywhere.

Liked: 9

I'm not a video game guy so I'm struggling to find a video game (preferably on WII) that has the St Pete track. Any suggestions?

Also... does anyone know where I can borrow a set of USF2000 legal shocks for a couple weeks?

Liked: 3279

I have always given Bridgehampton credit for the Northeast turning out good, if not great, drivers in the 1960's and '70's.
    It is much missed and fondly remembered.
    Particularly the race Sunday afternoon to make the last cross Sound ferry thereby avoiding NYC completely and those awful Sunday traffic jams.
    4PM sharp if memory serves it would pull out and it didn't matter if you were there, if you weren't on it, get driving.
    If you could go fast there, you could go fast anywhere.
    Ahhhh... Bridgehampton - another one of my favorite courses. Too bad it's gone.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Quote Originally Posted by Chas Shaffer View Post
    Also... does anyone know where I can borrow a set of USF2000 legal shocks for a couple weeks?
    i thought the email from a week or two ago said they changed the rules package again and the dynamics weren't going to be required for a while? I'm guessing that means there aren't enough cars that meet the new specs to fill the field. What are the "legal dynamics" now anyway? Same as back in the cooper series days or it's a whole new design?

Quote Originally Posted by HazelNut View Post
    i thought the email from a week or two ago said they changed the rules package again and the dynamics weren't going to be required for a while? I'm guessing that means there aren't enough cars that meet the new specs to fill the field. What are the "legal dynamics" now anyway? Same as back in the cooper series days or it's a whole new design?
    From what I understand the Championship class will have more HP (different map and restrictor I presume) than the National class even at St Pete. In order to have the HP advantage I'm told we must run the spec dynamics. I doubt the penske's will overcome a HP advantage so I'm looking for shocks.

Default Dampers

http://usf2000.com/competitors/2010/...r%20Letter.pdf

Sounds like the same Dynamics as previously...I'll bet there are a bunch of people who would trade theirs for the equivalent Penske 8760.

On the other hand, given how few cars are entered, do you really think they will tell you to go home if you show up with the "wrong" dampers?

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by nulrich View Post
    http://usf2000.com/competitors/2010/...r%20Letter.pdf

Sounds like the same Dynamics as previously...I'll bet there are a bunch of people who would trade theirs for the equivalent Penske 8760.

On the other hand, given how few cars are entered, do you really think they will tell you to go home if you show up with the "wrong" dampers?

Nathan
    I don't think they'll tell me to go home but I doubt they'll let anyone with penskes run the same engine map as those with the dynamics.

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Chas Shaffer View Post
    I don't think they'll tell me to go home but I doubt they'll let anyone with penskes run the same engine map as those with the dynamics.
    Have you talked to Alan at Haas? He seems to know where all the used Dynamics are sitting with former customers and can help coordinate a loan/sale.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 3787

When Cole won F2CS in '07 he was running Jason's (?) car under the St. Clair banner. The dynamics on that car still had their Cooper Series seals. Matt drove the car in '09, as I remember they were still sealed. Maybe call St. Clair...

Chas, let me know if you're going. If you are going to try to drive a new to you street course, with more HP, on tires you have not tested with, I want to be there with both high speed cameras to document it.

Mike, please go and take photos! Chas would probably do fine...it's the 15 year old new to formula cars, the Irish karting sensation and the two or three other F2000 rookies I want to see battling it out on a street course...lol.

Can we start a pool on how many starters and finishers there are, or does that violate ApexSpeed rules?

Nathan

Can we start a pool on how many starters and finishers there are, or does that violate ApexSpeed rules?
    finelli always used to make all sorts of crazy bets in the paddock and it made things way more interesting. Like the time he swore up and down that he'd go flat into t1 at mid-ohio (with the massively cracked chassis). I think he flew off at least once in every session. Despite numerous claims to the contrary I'm pretty sure he never made it, especially considering he'd always have "data system issues" that kept him from being able to actually prove it. Fun was had all around, charles worked on car control, we made money on the bet, and brad sold many many many front main planes.

Quote Originally Posted by HazelNut View Post
    finelli always used to make all sorts of crazy bets in the paddock and it made things way more interesting. Like the time he swore up and down that he'd go flat into t1 at mid-ohio (with the massively cracked chassis).
    At the F2000 pro race at Mid-Ohio last year it was interesting to watch and listen as cars went into Turn 1. Quite a few drivers went flat with a short left foot brake, the others lifted. No easy correlation with overall lap time, but all the left foot brakers seemed to be under 30. They probably never use the clutch or lift on upshifts, either .

Nathan

At the F2000 pro race at Mid-Ohio last year it was interesting to watch and listen as cars went into Turn 1. Quite a few drivers went flat with a short left foot brake, the others lifted. No easy correlation with overall lap time, but all the left foot brakers seemed to be under 30. They probably never use the clutch or lift on upshifts, either .

Nathan
    this was back in the hankook days before mid-o was repaved. The hoosiers are quite a bit gripier than the hankooks were. I think thom might even have a video of charles flying off into the dirt foot still in it.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

is there any way to see an entry list for St.Pete?

It will be posted soon. Number of team/driver deals coming together now, announcements and entries coming in and it should be a talented field, hope to have a good race. See you at the races?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

???Dan,

1 week from event, entries? I hope to be there
    Last edited by jim morgan; 03.20.10 at 3:04 PM.

Thread Information