Liked: 0

Default Two Quick Questions...

Hi guys!

Anybody ever turn the "T" part of the manifold around? So that the Carb is mounted farther back? Is that even legal? I would like my head rest to be back farther, but it would be better if the carb was farther aft...

Also...how necessary would you say an oil cooler is, and what size oil cooler is everybody running? I'm having a hard time packaging all of the "stuff" I need underneath the tail.

Anyway....thought I would see if the intake thing passes the laugh test with you guys, and check to see who runs what regarding oil coolers.

Edit....
    Forgot. Make it 3 quick questions. How important are the crankcase and valve cover vents with the dry sump setup? Same as a VEE, or not important at all?

Cheers!
    Jason

Liked: 3787

Not sure about FST rules... but ... i have seen reversed intake manifolds on "specials". Easy to do. Also on 'specials', especially those running dry sump, oil coolers are installed in the lines from the pump to the tank. Not on top of the VW block. You really need an oil cooler, because in those engines oil also acts as a 'coolant'. If not dry sumped, i always put a bypass block where the oil cooler normally sits. I always ran "full flow' oil filters and coolers by rerouting the output of pumps in the stock location, thru filters and coolers, and routing the oil back into the main galley.

Usually with dry sump, you close off the vents and let the pump create a vacumn in the crankcase. But, that said, keeping a VW engine from venting would be like stoping Niagra Falls.

But... FST rules may not allow any of those fun things...

Liked: 3

Default 3 Q's

Oil cooler:YES, I use a vw cooler on an adaptor block. Some use 1 or 2 setrab type coolers mounted low.
    Vents: 1 vent from the crankcase to the drysump tank is sufficient. Most use the blockoff plate where the generator tower would be or the fuel pump spot works as well.
    Manifold: NO, 9.1.1.I.5.1.1 states "Engine components shall be assembled in standard configuration."

Dave
    Last edited by dd46637; 02.27.10 at 11:57 PM. Reason: added manifold answer

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default tekniklee

since the engine itself is comprised of components and NONE of them are located in the standard "configuration" why not mount the manifold in its "standard configuration"

just stirring up the ....pot

Liked: 67

Hmmmm. I think I have seen the carb mounted both ways. I hope mine is in the standard configuration.

Jim

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

5.1.1. Engine components shall be assembled in standard configuration. Exceeding the wear limits specified in the VW manual or in other official VW guides is permitted provided that the specifications, tolerances, and dimensions specified in these rules are not exceeded.

Biggest oil cooler that will fit sounds good!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Jim,
    There is another section of the rules that allows the carb to be turned around backwards.

Mike,
    Things stay nice and dry in the engine bay nowdays since all the oil stays in the tank instead of being thrashed to death inside the case. On of the smartest rules in FST was allowing drysump.
    Dave

Liked: 0

Thanks for all the replies guys!

General consensus is: YES to the oil cooler (as big as possible), and NO to the intake idea. Check!

Who knows...Maybe I'll actually hear this thing run during the F1 season opener!

I kind of like the creativity of rotating the center of the intake. I never thought of that. I hope you can get the car out this year.

Thanks Dave for the clarification.

As for the oil cooler, good head and oil temps seem to deliver power gains. Over aero considerations? That's the key.

Jim

Liked: 151

Jason

I didn't bother to download the rules but the last rules I have say you can rotate the carb backwards. Is this what you mean by "No to carb" or am I missing something? I think that this is what Dave previously alluded to but maybe the section number has changed.

5.9.5. The carburetor may be rotated 180 degrees about its vertical axis.

Robert is correct.
    You can turn the carb either direction per I.5 Engine 9.5 but not the manifold per I.5, 1.1
    this fron the 2009 PAPER GCR. I still have not received the 2010 version which should not have any changes that I am aware of.

Dave

Liked: 190

Jason,

The dry sump system will cause a drop of about 30 degrees in oil temp, so I don't think the cooler needs to be huge. The Evolution uses a stock type 2, type 4, 914 oil cooler and we have tough time getting much over 205 F on a hot day. Certainly you can tape over if it gets too cold, but if your cramped for space, a smaller cooler won't hurt.

Side note, I would monitor head temp to make sure that is cool. I think it is possible to have low oil temps with hot heads (from dry sump).

Hope to see you this summer.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Bill left out the little detail that the Evolution has a very slick arrangement of the cooler/filter block and scoop that positions the cooler directly in the scoops flow and that the tall roll hoop opens a nice path for the scoop. I think the car's designers had a few year of experience with air cooled VWs!

Jim

Thread Information