Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default H & N device recommendation ?

Looking for some help determining the manufacturer/model of an H & N device to purchase. I race a very nice vintage Crossle 20F and as best I can determine my body position/seat angle is 25 degrees +/- and I'm 5' 9", medium build. I wear a Bell BR-1 helmet with large eye port with Willians 3" belts. In advance, all recommendations will be appreciated. Thank you all.

Liked: 68

Well, if the Albatross needs something around his neck.....

I would strongly suggest trying to get someone who has a H&N device to let you test-fit with it. You may need to make some seating adjustments, and you may need to swap your belts to ths narrower shoulder straps. The problem, of course, is that you won't know what you need to do until after you try one of the devices.

Personally, I use a defNder, and I highly recommend it. That said, it won't work with every helmet or seating position. The upside is that it is very adjustable, so you wouldn't end up having to return one for a different model.

Again, if you can find someone to let you test-fit a HANS or defNder in your car, I think you'll save a lot of time and hassle. Either one appears to be a good safety addition, so go with whatever fits and/or is more comfortable.

Good luck
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 210

Clayton,

There's NOTHING that can match an IN-CAR fitment.

Armadillo Andy carry's HANS devices and I believe one other manufacturer in his trailer at ALL our races (ICSCC and SCCA when they don't conflict). If there's a conflict he will be at ICSCC event but that is a rare weekend- (bigger market for him).

Take your self, drivers suit and helmet over to his trailer and do a 'fit' (not as in FIT engine). He can check for the proper angle based on how you sit and any clearance issues that need to be addressed.

Assuming you get a good match he can put the helmet fittings on and have you racing in about 15 more minutes.

P.S.
    Jeff sits pretty upright in his Reynard FC but he still needed a 40 degree HANS (maybe 30 but I don't think so).

P.P.S.
    If you're in the mood, bring the car out to the March 28th ICSCC Enduro (for sedans and sports racers) at Pacific. Andy will be there and can check for fit with the car on the trailer.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 10

I tried the HANS in my car and was never comfortable. I now have the Hybrid Pro and love it.
    Mat

Liked: 896

All the SFI testing indicates that the HANS has the best overall results. We have used them for years with lots of comfort. It is important to have enough room to let the HANS fit under your headrest & that the shoulder harness anchors are close enough together. The newer HANS have lips on the side to hold the harness on & this helps. I have modified my older HANS for this & it is very comfortable. I am 5'9" & 190 lbs. I use a medium 30 in my F500. My son uses a small 30 in his FE car.

Thanks ... Jay Novak
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 42

Here is a great resource for Head and Neck Restraints.

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Head_and_Neck_Restraints

A quick link to a spreadsheet with all the available test data on the devices out there right now. (note there are two diffferent test facilities used and the data from both is intermixed so look at Site Impact G to be able to compare apples to oranges.

http://www.racesafetydata.info/HNR.html

You will see that many of the devices perform at a similar level for a 0 degree frontal impact. The differences start to show on the offset 30 degree impacts. This is where many of the new devices have focused there work.

For all the stuff I sell if it doesn't fit you can return it. No reason to have you running around in something that is less comfortable or less safe.

For a HANS you'll more than likely be a Model 30. I'd bet that Jeff is in a 30 as I've only seen a handful (less than 10) of the 40 being used. It's for an extreme laydown situation. For the DefNder the one thing to look at is the amount of space between the lower edge of your helmet and your chest when you look down at the gauges. In some situations you don't have enough room to do that so it's not the best choice for some. For the Hybrid Pro it's generally an easy fit and very comfortable and the sizing is all in the chest straps that come with it. The basic device works in both sedan annd formula car settings.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    It is important to have enough room to let the HANS fit under your headrest

Thanks ... Jay Novak
    Jay, I have never read any instructions or talked to anybody from HANS so that's my disclaimer.

Now at last years Indy 500, they had a segment about the HANS devices getting "hooked" under headrests on a rear impact and causing some problems. That's why a lot of the drivers had the extra long piece on the back of their HANS that almost went to the top of their helmets.
    I would hate to see you or anybody else get hurt BECAUSE of a HANS, so I think you may want to check into this.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    Jay, I have never read any instructions or talked to anybody from HANS so that's my disclaimer.

Now at last years Indy 500, they had a segment about the HANS devices getting "hooked" under headrests on a rear impact and causing some problems. That's why a lot of the drivers had the extra long piece on the back of their HANS that almost went to the top of their helmets.
    I would hate to see you or anybody else get hurt BECAUSE of a HANS, so I think you may want to check into this.
    Yes, MIke I should have been clearer. There needs to be lots of room between the headrest & the top of the HANS. Of course I will check on both of our installations but I am certain there is not a clearance issue as the bottom of the headrest is tapered a bit. Of course you need to also make certain that the HANS cannot hook onto anything esle such as body panels etc.

Thanks for the info Mike ... Jay Novak
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 42

Regarding IRL and headrests there is a new one that has just been designed for them in conjunction with the guys at Bald Spot Sports who also make bead seats for us regular folks. I'll see if I can find a picture of one.

Liked: 5

Default hans

i also drive a20f crossle 1971 (vintage BABY ) I MADE A 2X6 BLOCK setup to be the same angle as my seat in car. went to HMS TRED ON A 20 DEG AND A 30 DEG . i am 5/9 170. gforce helmet. the 30 deg fit great, with sliding tethers used it at vrg summit point 09 no problems! but please allow 5 extra min to get belted in.I used hms SCHROTH BELTS 2" SHOULDER pull down & 3" lap pull up. my seat is stock with a cast bead seat filler

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    Clayton,

There's NOTHING that can match an IN-CAR fitment.
    Totally agree - in car fitment is the best scenario. If possible, walk the paddock at an event and talk to the other racers to see the pros and cons.
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Liked: 601

Default H&N device

Even though I do sell a H&N device (HANS), I wish that they couldn't be mail ordered. That way, everyone would have been forced to try one on, in their vehicle and with help for proper fitment by a trained representitive, before they made their purchase (no matter the brand).
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 0

so looking at the sizing charts, of course, I'm a "tight medium" or a "loose large" for HANS - better to be tight or loose in these things? Also, I'm a formula car driver but my car (Adams) is more upright, almost sprintcar like - can I use a Modle 20 or should I stick with a 30?
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Liked: 9

Default Hans size

We share a hans - I could wear a medium, my husband wears a large so we share the large and it works fine (although I am a bigger person). Remember to take into consideration your racing suit - if the collar comes up around the neck, how thick it is, etc.

The main angle to consider is the angle of the driver's chest while sitting in the seat. Take an angle meter and put it center on the chest and get a reading. This would help determine which model(s) HANS.
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Thread Information