Thread: all new website

Liked: 0

Default all new website

The Formula Car Challenge presented by Goodyear just posted a brand new website:

http://www.FormulaCarChallenge.com

Liked: 146

Um..what is a Formula Speed? And why do we need it?

Dale V.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Dale,
    The FormulaSPEED2.0 is a new car that we have been developing for our series the Formula Car Challenge presented by Goodyear. There is a decent amount of information regarding it on the official car website: http://www.FormulaSPEED.us

Lake Effect Motorsports will be the dealer in your area.

Please don't get the idea that the FormulaSPEED2.0 is a replacement for the beloved FM, it is not. All of the proponents of the original Formula Mazda are working together to promote the FM. Both of these Goodyear equipped/Mazda powered racers are welcomed into our series along with the Star Pro Formula Mazda.

Our program is not something new, our shop alone has 25 Formula Mazdas in house. The series is officially sanctioned by NASA, and will have a triple header showdown for all three classes at Miller Motorsports Park in September. Series info is available at: http://www.FormulaCarChallenge.com

Liked: 14

This is good news. I checked the schedule for the midwest and the races look like SCCA National club event dates including the June Sprints. How is NASA sanctioning this series?
    Do I need to become a NASA member? Is there a fee to join a FormulaCar Challenge region?
    Is there a entry fee per race? Is MazdaSpeed paying out contingencies to SFM competitors at Miller for the NASA Championship? Does FormulaCar Challenge have a per event contingency lined up? And Good Year?
    I want to know what does the winner of each race and championship receive? Who makes the rules for the Standard Formula Mazda class? I would like to know more about this regional series before getting started. best regards juan marchand
    Last edited by JRMarchand; 02.21.10 at 8:00 PM.

Default Good questions! Momentum..... MMOOOMMEENNTTUMMMM

I can't answer all the GREAT QUESTIONS but I can throw in some comments to help shed some light.
    Mark Millazzo needs to speak to some of your questions. I am sure he'll chime in any day now.

SFM is no longer the official way to refer to the original Formula Mazda. SCCA has called it the FM for a long time and therefore MSR as the manufacturer has decided to Drop the Standard terminology for the cars. It's simply the Formula Mazda. Everybody is making the change. Help us.

The Formula Car Challenge is the New name for the World Speed series on the west coast (actually last year it was Formula Mazda Challenge). Other regions have decided to JOIN the series and grow the class with some unity in Branding etc. Bruce at Speed Connection, Jason Vinkemulder at Lake Effect and also Tim McGrath at Texas Autosports. Nice eh? All these guys had something going on their own but decided to JOIN UP! I met with each of them in Vegas at the end of the year and they are on it. Pumped.

With MSR now taking over the car, good things can happen for the class!!! MOMENTUM IS AT HAND!!!! Big time. I watched two guys walk in yesterday and buy two cars on the spot. I know of 3 others right now in AZ region who are looking to buy cars and get after it!

NASA is officially the one for the West Coast series and the SHOOTOUT at MMP in Sept. Right now to get things going its simply a Double Dip on Points for the other regions in some SCCA races. Those races are still FCC races and the rules for FCC apply for our cars even though they may be an SCCA race. Make sense?

Yes you need to become a NASA member for any race in a region that is a NASA event that FCC attends. I believe most West Coast races and MMP for sure are NASA weekends. Indy Car weekend of course is in it's OWN LEAGUE. That in my opinion is THE RACE of the last 6 years for this class.

I hope Mazdaspeed puts out contingency monies. They should. Dean Case are you listening? Mark and Telo are working on that I am sure. It's kinda like: If you build it they will come. With me?

My role in all this is to help get it going....Marketing, Ideas, Racing in Series, Perhaps fielding a team etc. Heck, we have such an affordable, great running and fun car to drive it s a Huge bang for the buck and we need MORE than just the SCCA for it. This series will provide a come one come all program at this time to see who's the fastest that day at the Championships of MMP and not require jumping through hoops to participate. I speak from personal experience. I know of several guys who would love to show up for a SHOOTOUT and not be required to jump through hoops to participate. And....they are FAST! Flat darn FAST!!! Competition is a good thing.

Time to get control of the RULES so everybody is using the same stuff. Our class needs that. Moses Smith is the manufacturer and his input to the series is well, HUGE. He is cleaning up the rules for the SCCA this year as well as FCC.

It's about time we had some options in our class and some FOCUS on the Formula Mazda. Our OWN run groups when possible and that is a big plus. As time goes by I am sure the other regions will be more similar to how the west coast is doing it but for now flexibility is key.

The MMP races are a SHOOTOUT and Everyone is welcome. As for each region and what they pay and provide well that will vary for now I am sure. It's all about getting it off the ground and up and running. As time goes by UNITY will increase. Car are selling. Guys are talking and the Formula Mazda is ALIVE ONCE AGAIN!!!

Let me sign off by saying:

Personally I will be racing all over the country this year in FCC races that are either run on SCCA weekends, NASA weekends and the INDY CAR WEEKEND. That Indy Car weekend is THE BUZZ..... PERIOD! I hope to see a 40 plus car field of FM's alone. Then add the new FS2.0 and some Pro FM's. INSANE!!!!

Is this helping???

jamie slone
    Last edited by InsideTrack; 02.24.10 at 2:56 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks Jamie, it sounds good, just excited enough that I want to know whats for grabs
    I think that if GoodYear and MazdaSpeed are featured supporters, it will go well. So the rules are changing lots?? I hope not. FCC will have their own rules based on the new manufacturer MSR? guess more info will leak soon and we'll know whats in store.
    Again, thanks for jumping in, I'm glad somebody did.

Btw. the FS2.0 car looks real, it should be classed for SCCA or is it only for NASA's FCC, either way, I love racing

Default Answers

Juan thanks for the interest, and Jamie thanks for jumping in. I'm going to try and answer all of Juan's questions, if I miss something let me know.

Rules:
    Rules for FM will match current SCCA GCR rules even for NASA events. The goal is to get all of the FM cars across the country legal for all possible events.

Sanction and License:
    NASA is sanctioning our National Championship and the IndyCar event. They also sanction all of the West Coast events. You will need a NASA lic for any of those. Most of the other regions are running inside of SCCA events and so you will will need an SCCA lic for those. If you have a current SCCA lic it is VERY easy to get a NASA lic. and vice versa.

Prizes and contingencies:
    Goodyear is commited to providing a number of tires to each region. We are finalizing those details this week, and should be able to announce exactly what every region will receive and how they will be disbursed very soon.

Moses Smith Racing is providing contingency cash to FM drivers in all regions. Depending on car counts they have allocated up to $5k per region. Additional details are forthcoming.

Mazdaspeed helped our series out in 2009, and we are talking with them for contingency for the 2010 NASA National Championships. This and some other contingencies are still in the discussion stages for this season's championship.

ENTRY FEES:
    Each region has a unique series registration fee, and race entry fee. Our series entry fee for FM is $500, and our normal price for a double header weekend (3 sessions Sat/ 3 sessions SUN) is $600. The other regions have a series entry fee and then you just pay your SCCA weekend fee.

Who is making this happen?

The team that is making this happen are the people who have been promoting the FM for a VERY long time. Last December there was an FM Summit held in Vegas and the attendees included Moses Smith, Tim Macgrath (Texas Autosports),Telo Stewart (World Speed), Darryl Drummond, Jason Vinkulmulkder (Lake Effect Motorsports), and Jamie Slone. (I think people refer to this group as the Formula Mazda Mafia, or the 5 FM Families...I'm not sure the exact term) Anyway the big change is that we are all going to work TOGETHER to build up the FM class, and you couldn't ask for people more dedicated to the cause. Maybe you've seen the Formula Car Challenge advertisements we posted on ApexSpeed, or the new Formula Car Challenge ads Moses has placed in SportsCar Magazine? We are all rowing in the same direction and I expect some very good progress in 2010. I hope to meet you at some of the races!

Awesome, great news!! i'm really excited to be involved, regards jrm

Thread Information