Liked: 142

Default Dan Anderson, any USF2000 updates?

It's been pretty quiet from the andersen/usf2000 camp of recent. Any news aside from the 2 f2000 cars that showed at the "official testing" at sebring? Baker in an andersen car and terick in the liberty car?

Any cars ordered/delivered from VD? Has anybody (team w/ signed driver) actually committed to running this series? Will they actually fill a field or is it still looking pretty sparse per the eformulacarnews entry list?
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 123

clipped from the Aim Autosport website:

The team’s entry in the new USF2000 series will be 15 year-old Anthony Furfari. Anthony has spent the last year testing in preparation for a concerted effort to break into the next level of open-wheel racing. He raced a couple of events in the 2008 Skip Barber Western Region series and impressed by taking the win in his very first start.

“Anthony has taken to the new F2000 car very quickly”, said Willis. “He has already gained valuable seat time in open-wheel cars and he adapts very quickly.” He continued, “The focus for Anthony is to achieve success in the F2000 class with the goal of moving up to Formula Mazda.”

AIM tested with both Michael and Anthony in Florida just prior to the Christmas holidays with the assistance of team principal and former USF2000 graduate and Formula Atlantic driver Andrew Bordin.

Liked: 14

I, and I would guess other shop / team owners, receive regular updates from Michelle on USF2000. While apexspeed is a great way to reach people it isnt the 1st line of communication for any of the 3 series. I dont think there is any reason to think that Dans new series wont be successfull. Do I think they will start 30 cars at round 1 ? Nope , but neither did F2kCS.

If I was a car owner I would be running both F2kCS and USF2000. If I get hired to support a USF2k team I still will be.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

I'm aware of the malining list, I too recive them. They don't mention who's going to be running. I'm just trying to see who's going where without comment on the potential success/failure of the series.

aim/furfari was already listed on the eformulacar list. Anyone else?

So far it's looking like the series only has 3 confirmed drivers. 4 if both of the AIM drivers run.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 0

Thanks for asking about our new series. As Kevin mentioned above, we do try to keep interested people informed via our frequent website updates and our occasional e-newsletters. Things are moving along nicely, although most pro series are indeed feeling the impact of the economy on drivers budget raising efforts. As a start-up, we always expected it to be a bit of a hill to climb, and frankly I am very gratified by the widespread enthusiasm and acceptance among teams.

With regard to cars, the folks at Carl Haas tell me they have orders in hand for 7 new cars thus far, and as has been mentioned above , we have recently tested the new package to good reviews. The aero package is an improvement, the PFC brake package is incomparable (as I expected), and the Cooper tires are also terrific. I think those who try some of these changes will appreciate them a lot. As to drivers, we'll have a field, but since we just posted the entry forms last week, it's a bit early to be making predictions. I am aware of what some of our teams are working on, and what drivers are finalizing their deals, and you can expect announcements to start showing up soon.

As you may have noticed, we have been announcing a number of new partnerships lately, and we've been very fortunate to receive support from some excellent partners such as Cooper and Mazda, companies who do a lot for racers and who will assist us in providing the platform we envisioned when we started this up. Our deals are all long term, and our partners recognize what we are building and they are completely supportive of us.

I realize that some people seem intent on comparisons with the F2000 Championship series, but as I have said before (many times), we did not ever expect to draw very many drivers (or teams) from that series. Our program is designed and built to a different spec, and there are in my opinion enough drivers and teams to support both championships. Many people may not realize that when the F2000 series was just a vision of Bob Wright and Al Guibord, they came and visited me and asked for a lot of advice and support, and I freely provided everything I could to assist them in getting that series off the ground. I also supported them with my entries as well, and in that first year, the car counts numbered in the teens, if I remember correctly. They have built something they can and should be proud of, but a series can't be all things to all people, and it became clear to me after the 2008 season that for the type of drivers I was working with and my team was focused on, something different was needed. Don't misunderstand me, there's nothing wrong with the way things are done there, it's just geared toward a different type of driver, generally. Our series is designed for, and will attract, drivers who are generally a bit more career minded, drivers who often need to raise sponsorship from companiers that want to be at certain types of venues for their marketing purposes. Our teams will generally be teams that provide more support to their drivers in terms of the number of crewmembers, level of engineering, etc., and they (those teams) require a business model that has a value package they can sell for the level of budget they need to run their teams. Neither business model (USF2000 or F2000 Championship) is right for everyone, and neither is wrong for everyone. We expect to grow by attracting a certain type of team and driver, and the early signs are that it will work. Our relationship with the IRL, which was the main reason I embarked on this venture, is going to prove to be beneficial and enjoyable to our teams and drivers. They have some good things planned, and it will be great having all four levels of the IRL ladder racing together at St Pete and Iowa. Indy weekend is also shaping up as a really exciting program, and those who've been to the "Night before the 500" will, I think, agree that it's an excellent and fun event.

We do welcome everyone with an 2 liter car out there to join us for a race, if not the entire season, and anyone with an F2000 car, be it Pinto, Zetec, or Mazda, can race. The rules don't require very much change, in fact for many current F2000 drivers, even our Championship class will only require our Cooper Tires, VP fuel, PFC brake pads, and Dynamic dampers. However, as I said, I don't expect to draw many drivers from the other two F2000 series, but we do hope to see some of you visiting for an ocassional "one-off" or even more. Most of the required information can be found online, but I am completely accessible and will be happy to answer any questions anyone may have. Thanks again for raising the issue, and I hope to see many of you at St Pete!
    Dan Andersen
    941-723-3900

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Andersen View Post
    Our series is designed for, and will attract, drivers who are generally a bit more career minded, drivers who often need to raise sponsorship from companiers that want to be at certain types of venues for their marketing purposes. Our teams will generally be teams that provide more support to their drivers in terms of the number of crewmembers, level of engineering, etc., and they (those teams) require a business model that has a value package they can sell for the level of budget they need to run their teams.
    what's the current season budget guesstimate?

Best answer is to contact any of the teams on our website. Were I to run a team, I'd be looking at maybe $30,000 more than I charged my F2000 drivers back in 2008, due largely to higher travel costs and the added test days. Budget depends upon many factors, including amount of testing, number of sets of tires included, size and quality of team (and their crew), etc. A privateer running in either series should not be spending vastly different sums, as the car is essentially the same, as are many of the other costs. Call me and I'll be happy to provide more in-depth details.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default huh?

the pinto is now welcome?

The "National" class is open to any FC car, any chassis, and either Zetec or Pinto engine. Thye only thing "spec" for that class is the tires, fuel and our ECU map, which will be very similar in HP to the SCCA map. Check out the regulations on www.usf2000.com . Sorry that hasn't been made clear.

Contributing Member Lee Shumosic's Avatar

Default Good luck with launching a new racing opportunity!

Nut-
    Why do you want to beat this down?
    LJS Motorsports

Should anyone have a burning desire for a new VD chassis - I have one sat in the workshop needing a new home...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shumosic View Post
    Nut-
    Why do you want to beat this down?
    Not trying to beat anything down. I'm attempting to determine what the news in the f2k world is. After a hiatus, I'm just about ready to go back to racing again and really want know what's going on before I commit a fairly sizable chunk of cash to anything. In truth with new cars coming out, 2 pro series, and now new engines I'm contemplating staying on the sidelines for a bit longer till things get less confused again.

Contributing Member Lee Shumosic's Avatar

Default Racing

I assume most of us that race and have raced in various classes / series and members of this site understand the expenditures involved in this hobby at every level and or they should. I never hear Roger P. or Chip G. looking for a budget est. They want to play so they play….e.g. If your serious about the option don’t make it a public debate over the value of the series or its cost. Everyone makes their own decision.

Discussion gets boring.....

Lee
    LJS Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shumosic View Post
    I assume most of us that race and have raced in various classes / series and members of this site understand the expenditures involved in this hobby at every level and or they should. I never hear Roger P. or Chip G. looking for a budget est. They want to play so they play….e.g. If your serious about the option don’t make it a public debate over the value of the series or its cost. Everyone makes their own decision.

Discussion gets boring.....

Lee
    regionals are entry level. Spending 100k-150k+ per car on a season isn't really "entry level" as far as I'm concerned. And after 5 seasons in running a cooper then f2kcs (running 3-4 cars) I'm pretty well aware of the costs involved with those series. As for the new series, I was unsure of the added costs involved with that, do to it being a new series. As such I figured the best answer available was from the series organizer, which he answered.

Liked: 3787

Brendan,

take up bank robbery...

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Brendan,

take up bank robbery...

only if you're my wheel man froggy! I'll bring the AKs and duffle bags, if you bring the purple ski masks?

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Brendan,

take up bank robbery...
    You'll need a good lawyer...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Horvath View Post
    You'll need a good lawyer...
    fatboy racing has a lawer on retainer. Que the Zebra!

Liked: 2

Does the Zebra have experience with bank robbery?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Horvath View Post
    Does the Zebra have experience with bank robbery?
    i think most lawyer have experience with at least highway robbery, not sure about bank though

Do the new cars come from Haas with Data systems? If not, is there a designated Data (Pi etc) system that is spec for USF2000 Championship series?

Is there a spec 2-way radio system for the series?

Thank you.

New cars from Haas do not come with data systems, and data systems are open, with only limits placed on the number of sensors that can be used. Radios are also open.

Default USF2000 Website...

i'm unable to open any of the .pdfs. is there an issue with the site?

marc

Default works today....

thx

Just read article on eFormulanews.com about USF2000 with Dan Andersen. I think Dan is accurate by assuming a low car count to start at St Pete. I also agree that numbers will climb as the season goes on. I don't see 15 cars at St Pete, guessing more like 10, but that is alright for an inaugural event. I am sure the series will survive and actually thrive by the end of next year, if IndyCar continues to offer support and promote it.

16 years old drivers + a street circuit and 2 ovals for the first 3 rounds? how many of those initial 10 cars will survive intact until round 4?

allow me to quote senior burke, "yardsale"

Liked: 211

B

isn't that the point to pro racing?
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

yes.....now go shovel snow.

Thread Information