Thread: Honda vs. Ford

Liked: 0

Default Honda vs. Ford

Does the Honda fit?,( sorry, had to) Do I care? No. I'm just lucky to actually see the green light at the end of the tunnel after...well, its been a while. But I'm getting another Ford and thats what I'm running in it, Ford. If I see Hondas pulling the Ford everywhere, then somebody is going to have compensate me and mine. Small engine upgrades from time to time, to me anyway, are just a nature of the beast that we all know and love. Some cost is involved for sure, but its one and done. I don't have to buy it every year, (unless of course Honda just keeps adding a click and a click there every year which I believe at some point, soon, that engine is no longer a "FF" and a yet another new class would be created.......eeee haw.). Me, I'm staying with the Ford. Don't talk to me about how much farther the Honda will go or other cost effectiveness, its still racing and if anyone believes a 30 hour Honda is going to be competitive, at any National level, let alone the runoffs, your in for a real surprise. Besides, Honda or Ford, ya still gotta drive it.
    Tires? Just why is it SCCA did away with the old " run on the tires you qualified on" rule? Did they run out of rattle can spray paint? Spec would be nice to have or what about just allowing one set a weekend period. How many heat cycles you put in before the race that counts is up to you. Whether you show up for both days or one, one set is all you get, ( compound is optional).
    Anywho like I said, I'm just happy to be headed back to the track in a driving capacity, and remember...Lead, follow or get out of the way.

GK

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Has someone been into the scotch?

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by na94 View Post
    Posting under the influence is a serious problem that affects more than just the drunken poster. We are all victims really.

GK, thanks for sharing.

Default Scotch?

Alas, I gave the Scotch up years ago.....Tequila is much more....well, its just more.

GK

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Wow! Someone else lives out here beside Richard Leanred and I that is a formula car guy.

We could take over. Yeah thats it! Hostile take over. But of what?
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Default Out Here?

Its been a long, well kept secret and it gets deeper than you think. RL is my uncle. I am his crew chief. I am also a driver but its been awhile since I was in the seat......thats going to change sooner than later.
    Have you come far? Do have Formuli in tow? FC, FF?
    Welcome to Kansas and if your not familar with the terrain, your in the hilly part. I live just 22 minutes to your west.
    See you at the track!

GK

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by bryancohnracing View Post
    Wow! Someone else lives out here beside Richard Leanred and I that is a formula car guy.

We could take over. Yeah thats it! Hostile take over. But of what?
    The short list of Kansans is growing...
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Liked: 71

....or the list of short Kansans is growing. Greg, I picked up your last car that became the first car for a dear friend of mine..Trozzolo. Did you buy a new car? Welcome back.

Default Cliff, Really!? Peter C., Really!?

Cliff, I did not know that. RL and I were wondering last summer as to the fate of that car. What a surprise it's still around these parts. Believe it or not, I am getting another RF85. Unlike my old "stock" RF85, this one is coming with the "competetive" upgrades at least. It's even got an engine thats got a real head on it! )
    Most likely will not see track time until the end of this year, (new alignment and brake shop plus RL's car will be taking the vast majority of my time.).

Peter C., Congrats on that National Title! You have made the move to the midwest plains? OMG! That would mean that there are now two CM in the Mid-Div! Somebody call the national Guard! We have an outbreak!
    Now.... wouldn't it be something if a third CM showed up? O-M-G!!
    ...could be fun. )

See you at the track!!

GK

Liked: 295

Default gasoline for the Honda fit motor.

I can easily get premium unleaded without alcohol. With slightly more effort I can get regular unleaded without alcohol. Any danger in running the not required premium?

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

A little birdie in Maryland told me there is more power in the unleaded with ethanol.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson II View Post
    A little birdie in Maryland told me there is more power in the unleaded with ethanol.
    Really? It is my understanding that the ethanol makes less power. I know when I run the E85 in my street car the mileage suffers....power too.

Other comments?
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 09.05.19 at 10:09 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

IIRC, the ECU(s) whether its FF Honda or FC Zetec are specifically mapped for unleaded 93 w/ethanol. Anything else, hp is diminished, by how much I have no idea...except I was told by that same birdie in Maryland that putting 98 in a Zetec FC costs you multiple hp.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

I don't think there is any question that the perfect blend of fuel with the perfect ethanol additive would be advantageous, but you cannot count on that perfect mixture at any fuel supplier from one day to the next, and I believe you have far better chance of getting an imperfect blend with the imperfect ethanol additive. I also think if you happen to stumble on something better, it probably would not pass the fuel rules.

I occasionally monitor fuel use between Sunoco 93, cheap reservation premium, and the 7 different spec fuels used during the FRP season in multiple cars. I have yet to be able to see any performance differences, either better or worse. I do encourage my competition to chase fuel options and other engine tweeks however.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Really? It is my understanding that the ethanol makes less power. I know when I run the E85 in my street car the mileage suffers....power too.

Other comments?

Ethanol has less energy than gasoline for a given volume, but you can burn much more of it, and you can run more timing, thus capable of making much more power if other things are optimized for its use.

Pure ethanol likes 9:1 A/F ratio. E85 should make most power around 10:1. What kind of power gains/losses are had when you can't approach those ratios. . . I guess somebody knows that answer.

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    I do encourage my competition to chase fuel options and other engine tweeks however.
    That's all fine and dandy until enough time elapses with a given package and ruleset. Everybody has pretty much picked all the low hanging fruit with their program and then you're stuck having to spend disproportionate amounts to go marginally faster, or get left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Ethanol has less energy than gasoline for a given volume, but you can burn much more of it, and you can run more timing, thus capable of making much more power if other things are optimized for its use.

Pure ethanol likes 9:1 A/F ratio. E85 should make most power around 10:1. What kind of power gains/losses are had when you can't approach those ratios. . . I guess somebody knows that answer.

That's all fine and dandy until enough time elapses with a given package and ruleset. Everybody has pretty much picked all the low hanging fruit with their program and then you're stuck having to spend disproportionate amounts to go marginally faster, or get left behind.
    Of course in FF none of those adjustments to benefit from alcohol use are legal.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post

My point was that they are spending resources wastefully. While spending resources on reducing mechanical drag is an unfortunate necessity, the class is still mostly about handling and driver performance.My cars are winning Pro and big SCCA races with engines that have had no attention in years. We are making suspension adjustments after virtually every session, and the drivers get adjusted (with video and data study) after every session. That is why the class has been the best training ground for OW racers for 50 years.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    .. and the drivers get adjusted (with video and data study) after every session. That is why the class has been the best training ground for OW racers for 50 years.
    The debrief and pre-brief are definately the most overlooked methods for going faster in our lower level OW cars. I'm usually too busy prepping the car to really think about the driving but since both aspects are fun for me, I'm going to keep doing what I do. I was hoping that my sons would love the sport but it doesn't appear to be the case so I will need to adopt a College student enthusiast like I was adopted several decades ago! ("adopted" meant I got food and a bed but no pay)
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by na94 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Posting under the influence is a serious problem that affects more than just the drunken poster. We are all victims really.

GK, thanks for sharing.
    Friends don't let friends post while "on the sauce" or smokin something!

Foks, (woops I mean folks) please post responsibly while "toasted"
    Last edited by T Brzezicki; 09.15.19 at 11:21 AM.

Thread Information