Thread: Engine storage

Contributing Member
    Liked: 10

Default Engine storage

I won't be making my F500 conversion to a 600cc motorcycle engine as soon as I originally anticipated. Having made an engine purchase I'd like to store it until such time as I decided to convert. Any suggestions on how or what would be the best way to lay one up for about a year? I can’t start the engine but would like to ensure some kind of protection during its hibernation. Thanks. Ted Simmons

Liked: 80

Hi Ted -

I asked the same thing on the DSR forum, and didn't get a huge response, but here goes nuthin:

http://dsrforum.yuku.com/topic/6862

Hope that helps some,

-Jake

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Fogging oil

I'd just go the route in the link rec'd by Tom, but would use fogging oil in the intake system. Spray into each cylinder through the intake ports.
    The engine can be spun over on the starter w/ a battery or a jump box.
    Engine oil is good, but after a while, it will still drain back down through the rings into the crankcase.
    I'd also get all the fuel out of the rail before capping. I've come across a few lately that have that green/bad gas smell. Take the TB's off and give em a shake. Just when you think all is out, some more fuel comes out.
    Best/only way to make sure all fuel is out would be to toss 'em in the backseat of your car, cause you know then they'll mysteriously have a few more cc/s to leak out...
    Watercraft winterizing routine is to route all coolant lines up and fill w/ antifreeze. I think this may be overkill for us, especially if traveling/trailering a spare engine, but there will definitely be no corrosiin w/ this method.
    Make sure all the old oil is out, and fill w/ new and definitely leave a label indicating oil is in crankcase!
    GC

Thread Information