Liked: 3279

Default Helmet legality in 2010

Will a Snell 2000 helmet still be legal in 2010? I have a brand new one that has been stored well and never used.

Thanks,
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 601

Default Helmets

As the new SNELL helmets can not be released until late the 2010 Fall, I would have to think that you would be fine with your 2000 for the 2010 year, and possibly the next.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 77

2000 SA helmets will be compliant in 2010. The availability of 2010 SA helmets before 2011 will determine whether 2000 SA helmets will be compliant in 2011.

Dave

Liked: 3279

Default Thanks for the responses

Thanks, Keith and Dave. I was hoping that I would not have to buy a Snell SA2005 helmet when I have a brand new SA2000 in my posession.

Thanks, again,
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 1417

New 2010 Snell SA and K rating and testing information now available.

Interesting standards
    coming for H&N device mounting, too... "Provisional testing and separate “SAH2010” or “KH2010” certification labels for head restraint ready helmets. If a model is not head restraint ready, this provision will not apply but the model may still be considered for SA2010 or K2010 certification."

Liked: 1

I have been in the safety equipment business since 1983 and I have never seen SCCA change or other groups change their rules based on when Snell comes out with a new certification. What I have seen since the 1985 spec is helmets have had an 11 year life from the Snell spec. THIS IS NOT A RULE.....this is just what I have witnessed. Therefore a SA1995 was good thru 2006 and a SA2000 should be good thru 2011. I think you are safe in assuming that your SA2000 will be good for two more full years. SCCA is always slow to change because they are afraid to ruffle feathers. My recomendation to you is to buy a new helmet 5-7 years regardless of Snell date.

Sincerely,
    Bob Zecca

Bob:

It has nothing to do with ruffling feathers. It has to do with the fact that historically the pipeline for helmets complying with the newest standards take a while to fill. The club does not want to force someone to buy a new helmet without having an opportunity to buy from a wide selection. That's why the requirement is updated "late".

Dave

Do you sit in on the board meeting or know that a fact from an insider?

Dave holds a seat on the SCCA Club Racing Board.

Thanks.

When I speak about ruffling feathers what is your view on the following.. Do you know what the board is thinking about Hans for the future. In my opinion SCCA is the leader and should stay the leader in safety. I ask myself why is NASA, PCA and BMW club racing making Hans mandatory. To me SCCA should of been first but maybe "they do not want to ruffle feathers" amongst membership. We have seen way to many people getting hurt this year in our events. What does the board think?

Bob:

From the June Fastrack:
    RISK MANAGEMENT DEPARTMENT REPORT
    Pete Lyon discussed the pros and cons from a risk management perspective of mandating head and neck restraint devices as well as the concept to permit 15 year olds to compete in club racing events.

Following discussion, the consensus of the Board was that the use of Head and Neck Restraints should be explored further. The CRB is requested to review the issue, develop a plan and report back to the Board at its next meeting.
    The CRB is still working on this.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I just wish SCCA could move quicker like our competitors in the name of safety plus our competitors are beating us to the punch. Our President gave a talk on SCCA vs. NASA and why they are growing and we are not. I think part of our problem is we are a democracy and in some ways this works and in other ways it hurts us. They are a dicatatorship with a very smart individual at the top and they can make swift and decisive decisions in the name of safety.

Liked: 270

re: the H+N restraint - not mandating the use of such a device is by no means the same as not allowing the use of them.

IMO SCCA is the only organization that still recognizes the wishes of its members over the whining of the lawyers and the agressive marketing strategies of the manufacturers.
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 3

When will it be official weather or not a SA2000 helmet will be legal to use in 2010? or has it already been posted somwhere?

Thanks
    Andrew

10 years is legal, as the new SA2010 helmets will not be out until October of 2010. They also usually add a couple of years in after that, especially when the SA ratings haven't had massive changes. I would expect your SA2000 to be good for another couple of years, but the truth is, that helmet has probably broken down from sweat and UV exposure long ago. The 10 year rules is great, but helmets don't really last that long. You should figure replacing it every 5-6 years, regardless of the rules.

SA2005 helmets will see some screaming deals in the next 6 months, or wait for a new SA2010 next fall. A 2005 is not a bad purchase at all.

Liked: 3

Yah thats what I usually do is wait for the new minimum rating to come out and thats when I buy a new helmet. Just waiting on the SA2005 to go on sale!!!

Andrew

Liked: 9

Default SA2010 Helmets Info

We have link on our website that discussed SA2010 Helmet Rating changes - good information for reference.

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...010Helmets.asp
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by thunderracing91 View Post
    When will it be official weather or not a SA2000 helmet will be legal to use in 2010? or has it already been posted somwhere?

Thanks
    Andrew
    It's in the 2010 GCR...So it is official...

I'll be racing yet another year w/ "ol'-stinky"

Thread Information