Wondering if anybody could identify this car/

Thanks

Thom
    Thom
    Back to fenders=SRF

Liked: 13

Default Fvee

Thom,

That car spent a lot of time on the Samba site. I think it used to run solos with Philly Region in the early 90's as a SoloVee. The guy from DE called it a Bobsy but, the body doesn't look like any Bobsy that I have ever seen.

Rich

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Usually the $1500 garage queens are a false economy. The body is certainly home-built. Hard to say about the chassis when you can't see it without the bodywork. Might be worth "make me an offer" price on the Samba if you plan to use it for autocross, but I'd pass if you're looking to club race it. You'll spend $750 for a set of tires, another $750 for rains, $1000 for a fuel cell, $150 for new belts. If you could get the car for $1500, you would have to put another $2600 into it before you rebuild the front end, transaxle and engine and you still have try to get homologation papers and the log book reissued. Then you still probably have a car that stuggles to hang onto the back of the pack.

If you want to go road racing you would be much farther ahead buying a car like the Robert Guhde/George Podgorski BRD for $8900. Comes with a short and long box transmission and a reasonably fresh, decent national Autowerks engine, 2 spare sets of tires plus a set rains. It sounds like you could check the fluids and brakes and go racing. BRD's are still being made, so parts are still available if you needed them.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37524

I'm just sayin'.

Liked: 72

Bob makes some good points. All those prices quoted are too high, even for new and you can do a lot better than a BRD. Sorry, just an opinion. If you're looking to buy that car check the items mentioned and take the time to go to SRacing and look at the ads there.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

i appreciate all the ideas, but can anyone identify the car, if it is not a legit vintage eligible it has no value to me as i have another one available but this one is literally down the street. Actually I dont need another project but can never turn down a "good' deal.

Thanks for the information

Thom
    Thom
    Back to fenders=SRF

Contributing Member

Thom,

From the pictures on the Samba, it appears to have a zero roll rear suspension, so it would not be vintage eligible with any group on the east coast.

Liked: 72

Bob's right about the zero roll suspension. The cars of Harvey Templeton and maybe some early Caldwells are the only ones I know of. Depending on the rules, 1969 seems to be a cutoff for many vintage organizations.

If this car has a SCCA log book it's age can be determined there. Many one off cars can be considered vintage if they have the old rear suspension, fan shrouds etc. Some cars can be back dated to vintage status by returning to components used prior to 1969. There have been several Lynx's done that way.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Thread Information