Liked: 273

Default Remote mounted oil pressure switch

Thought I would post this so others wouldn't go through similar hassles I've had with my oil pressure sensor.

I've gone through 2 oil pressure sensors now. We discovered that the engine vibration is killing them. We've now taken our third MSI Pizeo type sensor and mounted it to a short hose and wrapped the sensor in foam and zip tied down, this appears to have fixed the problem.

If anyone needs a M10 x 1.5 to dash 3 male (threads into oil passage on GSXR1000 and converts to AN hose) and then a Dash 3 to 1/8 NPT (AN3 hose back to your sensor) I cranked up the CNC lathe today and made a bunch. If anyone needs a set PM or email me.

Gary Hickman
    FB #76
    Last edited by ghickman; 12.09.09 at 3:43 AM. Reason: yep intended to say sensor
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Yo G

It may be a typo, but are you refering to the oil pressure sensor?
    I might be a playa on some of that...
    GC

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    It may be a typo, but are you refering to the oil pressure sensor?
    I might be a playa on some of that...
    GC
    GC
    Yep I intended to say sensor....I had switch on the brain.

I'll post a pic. of what we came up with.

GH
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default agreed with Gary hickman

We went through at least 3 or 4 before we did what he came up with.. now 4x times the time on one sensor with zero failures.. we were using msi pressure gauges.. the high end ones.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Now I'm goin' "Hmmmmm"

Maybe that's what happened to me at WGI race in July when the dash alarm lit up and indicated 9 PSI OP!
    I backed off and followed Jeremy to the finish, and after several safety car laps, the pressure came back up. Uhhh, yeah, fixed itself. Nano mechanics were hard at work redirecting the oil until such time as the problem had been repaired, safety car pulled in and we were off!"
    What I had for a sensor & mount was the usual 2 post VDO sensor, held onto a frame brace w/ a large adel style rubber/cushion lined clamp, going into the left side main galley via a M16x1.5 oil drain bolt that had been drilled out and taped w/ NPT 1/8 27(?).

It still works, but Gary's design sounds much more elegant and lighter, therefor better!

Pics G? Put up some pics.

GC

Default Get your orders in

I've already sold 4 sets of these, you may want to get a set soon before I run out. I won't making more for awhile....starting to get busy again...hope this is a good sign for this economy.

If you've had mysterious oil pressure problems this no doubt is the cause.

$45 per set (includes shipping)....this buys Tony and I Sizzler Dinner at the next National.

Forgot to mention...been killing the High End MSI sensors @ $$$...

Gary
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 601

Default Remote Oil Pressure switch

Been doing that on electric, pressure sending units for years. Even an old 4 cylinder, iron motor can play havoc with those type of switches.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Thread Information