Liked: 5

Default First drive in my first-ever race car - Stohr F1000

Finally my car delivered from the Stohr factory in Portland OR to New Jersey. Let me tell you the car made one hell of a first impression. It looks like a $200,000 race car. A few people asked me if it were new. I monkeyed with the ride height and cornerweights and got them off by 200 lb! I was able to get back to 2 lb off. I suppose this is how I learn.....

NJMP kindly invited me to run a member day on Lightning last Sunday.
    I drove three full 25 minute sessions and half of the fourth - I was mentally exhausted.
    I was nervous as hell on the first session - it was rather cold and damp and I was concerned the tires would be very slippery and the car would accelerate like a dragster but I was careful and kept it on the track. The sound is incredible. My dad said he could hear it from every corner of the track.

I haven't used left-foot braking since my old shifter kart days, and after I was tired I would start to switch back to right foot braking. The paddle shifter works very well. We added gas and lubed the chain and that was it. The oil level and pressure were good and the oil and water temps were cool. Of course I am not pushing it too hard yet.

I can't wait for my next test.

I joined NJMP as a member and just bought a zero-mile 2008 GSXR engine for a spare and ordered a new Haulmark Edge 24' in white with red cabinets.

Needless to say, the last few months have been expensive....

I hope to do a few more test days before the SCCA driver school in March. It is going to be a long winter.
    Last edited by Ivinsea; 11.20.09 at 4:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Liked: 4

Car looks better in person, then it does in pictures. There is allot of attention to detail that the mfg has put into this car.

It was nice to see another Formula Car running at my favorite track. Not only sweet looking and sounding, but a trouble free first outing. Hope to see you out there again next season.

I see you've already hired and crew chief. Looks like he is adjusting tire pressure, leaving your brother nothing to do.

I know I owe you some data, I'll get that out shortly. It slipped my mind.
    Last edited by racer27; 11.20.09 at 5:10 PM.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Liked: 0

Best of luck with the new car. We met At NJMP over the summer at a National. I was looking into getting a FE car, which I now have. I am glad to see that you got into a car. We spoke for a while at NJ . Best of luck with the car. I hope to see you at a SCCA event next year.

Joe
    NY

Congratulations! Inspiring post.
    And if this is a picture of you, I'm REALLY impressed and ready to give you the trophy now! The SCCA lowered the driver's age just in time !

Liked: 11

Default I agree!

Keep up the posts and pics Ivin!

I too am considering a Stohr F1000 in a few years (when reasonable used ones are available) & would appreciate your insight.
    Working hard to enhance my Carbon Fiber footprint....
    2011 Stohr F1000
    www.Area81Racing.com

Sweet Car! I would love to hear about your experiences as this being your first race car. I have been looking to get into a car for sometime now but haven't pulled the trigger on anything. I have bounced around with what class I want to get into so your experiences can help. What are your plans to do with the car? Are u looking at running nats. , regs. or just track days? I just ask cause my goals are to just get out there and I'm not looking to win any national championships or anything. Anyway Congrats! and keep us posted.
    Jason
    Better to have raced for a day...
    than been a spectator for life!

Quote Originally Posted by racer27 View Post
    Car looks better in person, then it does in pictures. There is allot of attention to detail that the mfg has put into this car.

It was nice to see another Formula Car running at my favorite track. Not only sweet looking and sounding, but a trouble free first outing. Hope to see you out there again next season.

I see you've already hired and crew chief. Looks like he is adjusting tire pressure, leaving your brother nothing to do.

I know I owe you some data, I'll get that out shortly. It slipped my mind.
    Ambrose - thanks for answering all my noob questions.
    I agree the car looks better in the flesh. In pictures it seems a little cartoonish, but in person it is rather elegant and almost pretty. The build quality seems excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by stradale425 View Post
    Best of luck with the new car. We met At NJMP over the summer at a National. I was looking into getting a FE car, which I now have. I am glad to see that you got into a car. We spoke for a while at NJ . Best of luck with the car. I hope to see you at a SCCA event next year.

Joe
    NY
    Joe - of course I remember. I think you bought a black FE from Texas?
    I plan on running all of the SCCA Regionals and EMRA races at NJ next year. I'll see you there!

Liked: 553

Beautiful car, awesome debut. Congrats. I look forward to hearing more in the future.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by tjcezar View Post
    What are your plans to do with the car? Are u looking at running nats. , regs. or just track days? I just ask cause my goals are to just get out there and I'm not looking to win any national championships or anything. Anyway Congrats! and keep us posted.
    Jason
    Jason - I plan to run SCCA Regionals and EMRA at NJMP next year; perhaps Nationals next if I am successful.

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Beautiful car, awesome debut. Congrats. I look forward to hearing more in the future.
    Thanks Russ. I am living the dream!

Liked: 59

Congrats Ivan. I knew you'd love the car. Call us if you need anything. Bill Wald

See you next season .

Joe

Thread Information