Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belt question

Liked: 32

Default By myself

While it is not easy, I can belt myself in my Reynard FC: Get in the car with my defNder HNR and Bell Dominator on along with the GForce arm restraints. Using the GForce belts with lap adjusters I snap in the anti-submarine belt, then the left lap belt (right is attached to the cam lock), then each shoulder harness with the other end of the arm restraints which has a metal ring that the shoulder harness goes thru at the latch. Tighten each lap adjuster, then the shoulder harness. Hardest thing to do is the shoulder harness - all by feel, can't see a thing!
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by azjc View Post
    ... I snap in the anti-submarine belt,
    Hmm. Sounds like you have a sedan car (upright sitting) set up.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 210

While it is not easy, I can belt myself in my Reynard FC:
    Jeff "might" be able to belt himself into the car. But for him alone, I think he'd need to dislocate his shoulders and get his elbows UP above the cockpit to be able to reach down in there. Long arms and the Reynard SF90 is a tight cockpit (tighter I think then the earlier models).

We use Willans 3" shoulder belts purchased from Averill and they work fine with the HANS.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 32

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Hmm. Sounds like you have a sedan car (upright sitting) set up.
    Yes, what is traditionally thought as such... but you can use in a lay-down formula car when set up correctly. If not set up correctly you may find your manhood at risk !

When I bought the car I knew a lot of work was needed to get my 195# 6'2" frame in the car and went with what I felt was the most versatile belt set for the best $$ (so if they didn't work I'd not be out too much $$).

Next set of belts may be the more traditional formula car belts (such as the Simpson) with lap adjusters and submarine belts that go thru the lap belt & then the shoulder latch. But I'm not sure if I can get then on by myself, especially with the arm restraints going thru the latch at the same point.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Liked: 210

... Next set of belts may be the more traditional formula car belts (such as the Simpson) with lap adjusters and submarine belts that go thru the lap belt & then the shoulder latch. But I'm not sure if I can get then on by myself, especially with the arm restraints going thru the latch at the same point.
    That is exactly how the Willans are. And it would be near impossible for Jeff to do that alone.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 8

Default Schroth Belts

I have the Schroth belts for a HANS as well. The belts are great quality however I hate the buckle. I will not buy them again.

It is difficult for me to get my fingers in the right position to unbuckle the Schroth belts becasue of the close quarters in my DB6. No difficult movements are needed with the Willans.

Tim Webb
    #24 DB6
    Ford Powered but still without a gearbox

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Webb View Post
    I have the Schroth belts for a HANS as well. The belts are great quality however I hate the buckle. I will not buy them again.

It is difficult for me to get my fingers in the right position to unbuckle the Schroth belts becasue of the close quarters in my DB6. No difficult movements are needed with the Willans.

Tim Webb
    #24 DB6
    Ford Powered but still without a gearbox
    FWIW Schroth makes a couple different types of buckes. The one you have and almost everyone else has is the one I don't like much either. The others are similar in style to the Willans release. Should you get new Schroth belts get them from Joe Marko at HMS and he can build them however you want. Specific lengths, buckle style, etc.

Heres the link to their buckles.

http://www.schrothracing.com/store/C...ries/cam-locks

Liked: 8

Default Schroth Again

Thanks for the link. Yes, the Specialty RFR Cam lock with the extended release lever would do the trick.

Cheers

Tim Webb
    DB6 #24

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Webb View Post
    Thanks for the link. Yes, the Specialty RFR Cam lock with the extended release lever would do the trick.

Cheers

Tim Webb
    DB6 #24
    They really need to market it. I never knew it existed until PRI when they had one hidden in the corner on display.

Liked: 10

FYI,

Jim at Race Car Supply (SRacing) sells a formula car specific version of Racequip belts with pullup lap adjusters. The adjusters are roughly 4 inches from the mounting hole. The crotch buckle goes into the camlock.

http://www.sracing.com/harness_systems.htm

http://www.racequip.com/beltsharnesssystems.html

In my 85 VD autocross car the belts fit well and can be pulled up fairly easily by me with me in the seat . . . after I removed the antislip springs.

Easy adjustability and quick attaching are important for an autocrosser who may also have a co driver or two. The FIA certification is FRESH.

Mine were ordered on a Monday and delivered on Friday even though they had to come from the manufacturer to him. That was not a rush order.

Dick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information