Liked: 7

Default Engine ID (internals) Questions

Hi Everyone,

I picked up a pile of VW parts recently and going through them I have a number of cranks. What is the easiest way to ID a 1200 crank?

Also, I have a bunch of cyl that have a different shape to them...the fins I mean! I will get a pic of them, but were the earlier 36hp shaped differently then the 1200/1600 ones?

The goal is to build a spare motor (mostly stock) for fun this winter, so just going through and doing some inventory.

Thanks
    Jim

Liked: 72

The quyickest way to di a 40hp crank is the looking at the oil holes. On 1500 and later the oil holes are slotted or ported open to increase oil flow. The 40 hp are round with no slots.

There are two kinds of fins, one we call daisy and the other full. The daisys are older design and have less fin area and cool slightly slower than the full fin. You will need a bore gauge to check the cylinders and if they're used, it's likely they are not servicable. If the bores are straight, I prefer the clearance not exceed .006. That's not likely for street stuff.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 11

As far as IDing the crankshafts, 40hp vs. 1300/1500/1600, of course the stroke is different: 64mm vs. 69mm which is about .2 inches. You might be able to measure this close enough to determine which cranks you have. Of course they both have the same bearing dimensions and spacing since they both fit in the same cases and they both use the same bearings.

The FV minimum crank weight is 16# while FST is 20#. You could thus assume that if it's less than 20# it's a 40 hp crank. The 1200 crank is much lighter and this is obvious if you have the two side by side. The most obvious area to see this visually is in the webbing between the opposing rod throws. On the 69 mm cranks, the webbing is significantly wider than the rest of the crank and has very square edges. The 1200 crank is much thinner and more rounded here.

There's a picture on this page of a welded 69mm crank. Note the thick, squared off webs:

http://books.google.com/books?id=NPJ...kshaft&f=false

The later 1500/1600 cranks do have different oiling features as mentioned above, however, I believe the earliest 69 mm cranks (1300) had the same oil drilling as the 1200's.

Now if you have some 36 hp cranks in the mix, I'm not really sure how they differ, but I'd guess that the journal widths and spacing is different since the case is different. They may be the lighter still than the 40 hp 1200's.

Thread Information