Liked: 1417

Default Gearbox Storage and Handling

So the new car came with both a short box and a long box, and I am finding myself trying to figure out a good way to move the short box not in the car around the garage. I'm also not quite sure the best way to store it while it isn't in use. It's a complete drum to drum setup and I'd like to make sure it's ready to go when I need it.

Anyone have any good ideas? Drawings for a wooden stand? I should probably get a small floor jack to roll it around on safely by myself, but is there a better way?

Senior Member Becker Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 0

You might want to visit your local hardware store and look at furniture dollies. they are usually carpeted and come in different sizes. reasonably priced also. regards ernie

Liked: 16

When I had Vees I would use a brace I'd bought somewhere that clamped to each axle and to the gearbox in the middle so the axles couldn't flop around. Then I would place the gearbox shaft down, supported by some wood blocks to protect the input shaft.

I never experienced any leaks out the front and I'm sure I had asked my gearbox guy if that was OK before doing it. Having the whole thing out of the way up against the wall was nice in a tight garage.

One great thing about the brace was that it was the perfect length to stretch a standard cheap vinyl covered bicycle lock cable from end to end. Then you could pick up the whole assembly in the middle with an engine hoist to install/remove the gearbox making it an easy one person job.
    Rob Zatz

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Becker Motorsports View Post
    You might want to visit your local hardware store and look at furniture dollies. ernie
    That is your solution for moving, rolling and storage, Doug.

Jeff has a tight single car garage that he needs to get a car in AND store the Reynard. He purchased two PIANO DOLLY'S that are rated for 1,000 Lbs each. In fact, with the dolly under the balance point of the car, we only need one to roll and swing the car around.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Storing 3 or 4 trannies, which is required for serious FV racing these days, is almost as big of a PITA as paying for them. Fixtures which stand them up while supporting the axles is the appropriate solution.
    I have yet to see the perfect fixture. Please let us know if you find it.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

I made my own car dolly with 4" pivoting casters, rated at 250 lbs each and 1 8' 2 x 4, cut into a frame.

2 locked and 2 pivoting did not cut it. As the car come out of the trailer it goes right on the dolly and into the garage. With 4 pivoting it can get away from you if you push too hard......

Of course the FV man's playground, Harbor Frieght, probably has the dolly already made.

I made tranny braces out of a length of beam and some 2" muffler clamps. The problem is that swing axles - do. I saw one setup that uses the hole on the top of the tranny to steady this, but Doug has a Citation which I assume uses this hole. Can be a problem when changing trannys.

I suggest using the muffler clamps, but cut some 2" tubing to make a 1/2 sleave for top and bottom. The extended clamp should keep the axles straight.

And Harbor Freight has furniture dollies for great prices or the parts to make your own.

I am not sure I like standing them on end, if all the oil drains from the gears then you might have corrosion. On the other hand, you might not wait 12 year in between using the short box like I did....

ChrisZ

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

This is how we store our transmissions. We have a small hand stacker to pick them off or can do it by hand. I can recommend a good machine shop to make the frame for you.

Dave
    Last edited by DaveB; 01.26.12 at 5:27 PM.

Liked: 76

We used to make and sell them at SR Racing and DRE. I have one in my garage if you would like it. I live in Elgin,Il so Im must be close to you. Let me know by P.M. or email and we can get together.

Butch Deer

butch@racecarsupply.com
    butch deer

Thread Information