Liked: 0

Default Pictures of FC/FF conversions?

Hi All;

Can anyone point me to some decent pictures of FF/FC to FB conversions?

I completed my 85 Reynard teardown and rebuild, and am of course now promptly looking to break what works. I'm contemplating doing the conversion on this car, but another option would be to sell it and purchase a already converted or purpose built FB.

Like to see some of the setups people have come up with, I have some ideas for how to go about it on the Reynard but it will be an involved project with that suspension design and the rocker conversion.

Thanks

Liked: 43

If you want a good bit of information take a look at the Car Building threads in the FB class here on Apexspeed. If you dig around, there are a lot of good ideas that have proven to work. If there are some specific pictures you would like to see, just ask on this thread and I'm sure there will be a number of people that would help you out. I am one of them. Good Luck and welcome to the fastest dollars in racing (F 1000).

Any pointers to specific things that work well would be very greatly appreciated. Still doing my research, building looks less expensive in the long run, but looks and reality are often different.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default Conversions

Liked: 273

Default My 2 cents

Either buy a car already converted, purpose built, or at a MINIMUM start with a 99 or newer Van Diemen and get the Jay Novak kit. Starting with an 80's vintage chassis isn't going to be too rewarding in the long run.

Just my opinion

Gary Hickman
    FB #76
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 3

Default My conversion

I took a lot of pictures and notes and made a Blog of my '99 Van Diemen/Novak conversion. Some of it will be different, but a lot may apply to your project.

See it here: http://seanmaisey.blogspot.com

I have very recently resurrected the Blog to chronical my recovery from a recent motorcycle accident, and return to competition in 2010. So, ignor the most recent posts and page back to the beginning for the "good stuff".

Best of luck with your project.

Sean

Starting with an 80's vintage chassis isn't going to be too rewarding in the long run.
    This is the conclusion I am reaching from the work I'm doing.

Liked: 553

It all depends on your financial situation and expectations. Gary's right, if you want to have a chance to win in SCCA races against competition.

On the other hand, a newer chassis plus a purchased conversion kit might not be an option for a lot of people. If you don't have $25,000 - $30,000 to spend (the average person does not), or if you already have an early chassis and want to make it fast and fun (for hill climbs, track days, regional racing, etc.) then it can be a satisfying project.

Look how much fun and success formulasuper has had with his 1983 chassis converted to motorcycle power. He has SARRC and ARRC championships and he did 99% of his conversion himself.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 43

There is the Citation that is listed for sale in the FC classifieds that is a sweet deal. It would give you a competitive chassis to start. With a little consulting from Brandon Dixon or Rob Laverty you could have a reasonably priced winner.

New-er isn't out of the question, it's just out of the question until after tax season '10.

If you track all your expenses, rebuild, maintenance, spares hunting/fabrication time, etc, it all seems to balance out more or less. I really like how i fit in the Reynard and it is the primary reason I bought it, I'm 6'2 170lbs. Not sure how the other chassis compare and my region is small in numbers.

The links to Nova help and I will be in touch with them. My primary interest is in getting a quick car.

Any other opinions are appreciated.

Thread Information