Liked: 309

Default USAToday Article on GoPro HD Competitor

High-definition equals high sales for wearable video camera

By Jefferson Graham, USA TODAY

High-def is where the action is for Marc Barros and his helmet-cam company, Twenty20.

The Seattle-based start-up makes the ContourHD, a "wearable" video camera targeted to outdoor sports enthusiasts — skiers, cyclists, skydivers and motorcyclists. The camera captures footage from mounts for helmets and goggles.

At this point last year, as Twenty20 was about to enter its peak selling season — ski time — the recession whacked sales to the point where they were "non-existent," Barros says.

So Barros and co-founder Jason Green came up with something that their wearable-camera competitors GoPro and V.I.O. had yet to exploit: high-definition video recording. In the spring, Twenty20 released a Contour camera with high-definition 720p resolution; two weeks ago, it released a unit that records in full 1080p, called the ContourHD1080p.

Sales have "quadrupled" since the May launch, says Barros, the company's CEO. "We're selling them faster than we can make them."

He projects sales of 50,000 cameras this year, or just under 100,000 units since forming the company in 2003. The outdoor enthusiast market is 50 million people in the USA, and 100 million worldwide, Barros says — giving him a large footprint to sell to.

Jeff Smith, director of retail giant Amazon's camera and photo department, says the first ContourHD has consistently been in the top 40 of video cam sales, alongside bigger, established firms such as Sony, Canon, Samsung, Kodak and Pure Digital.

"With all the buzz on HD, high-def has clearly taken the Contour to another level," he says.

The tube-shaped camera — which sells for $279 for the 720p version or $329 for the 1080p — comes with a mount, and an on-off button designed to work even with gloves on. The camera, which is 4 inches long and weighs about 4 ounces, ships with a 2-gigabyte miniSD memory card, which holds about one hour of footage. The battery lasts three hours.

With the Contour attached to your helmet, you get a bird's eye, ultra-wide-angle 135-degree view of the world. The clips are in the .MOV format, which play in both Windows Media Player and QuickTime.

Luke Parmeter, a student at the University of Wisconsin, bought the ContourHD for motorcycle racing this summer. He wears the camera on his goggles.

"The quality is really good, awesome," he says. "People come up to me all the time (and say), 'What do you have on your goggles?' They can't believe it's a camera."

Parmeter had used a wearable camera from GoPro, but wanted more than standard definition. (GoPro has announced a $299 high-definition version, scheduled to be released this month.)

Gregg Stansbury, who runs a Seattle construction company, bought the Contour for skiing, and has since advanced to motorcycle and dirt-bike riding. "I'd tried hand-holding a camera to get video of my (son) skiing, but it's pretty tough," he says. "With a helmet camera, it's very smooth."

Student project
    Barros and Green got the idea for the camera while they were students at the University of Washington, as part of a business plan competition. Their wearable camera came in third, worth $20,000 in seed money. They started the company with that, plus $50,000 from a loan that Barros' uncle co-signed.

"We didn't have wives, families, homes or anything tying us down," Barros says. "So why not do it now?"

The first camera was bulky, made of several parts and had to be connected to a regular camcorder. Sales were decent but not fantastic, says Barros. Then he read an article about a successful design firm in nearby Portland, Ore., Ziba Design, and pushed to become a client.

Steve McCallion, Ziba's executive creative director, at first brushed him off, saying he didn't have time to take it on.

"We get so many of these kind of requests, the first response is usually hesitancy," McCallion recalls. "But we saw a guy who was very passionate about seeing an unidentified or unmet need in the marketplace. We saw an opportunity to help them deliver on their promise."

Ziba, which has helped design products for Sirius Satellite Radio, Logitech and Microsoft, transitioned the camera into a self-contained unit.

Building community
    While the company is called Twenty20, Barros says most folks know them as VholdR, the name of its first, and now discontinued, standard-definition camera. VholdR is the moniker for the website, as well.

With the new Contour in the marketplace, Barros and Green, the company's vice president of technology, realized they needed to make the website a sharing community to set it apart from competitors.

TALKING TECH: Jefferson Graham checks out a wearable HD camera

Their customers wanted to see their action videos online, and in one place, so they worked at making VholdR.com a community for adventure enthusiasts.

Some 75% of buyers register for VholdR.com and share videos there, Barros says. "Every new camera sold brings six new visitors to the site."

The Contour software, which comes with the camera, offers tools for easy trims to make short online videos.

"They want to show their friends what they did — but only the good stuff," says Barros.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 111

I am quite happy thus far with my ContourHD. Much more robust construction than my original GoPro. Haven't tried the GoPro HD to compare, though. The first GoPro left such a bad taste in my mouth...

jim

Liked: 29

We have Twenty20's 720p version (VholdR) in stock for $149.95. I apologize for this "commercial" but it is pertinent to the thread

Jim Gustafson
    Visual Communications
    Last edited by Jim Gustafson; 11.04.09 at 11:09 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gustafson View Post
    We have Twenty20's 720p version (VholdR) in stock for $149.95.
    So Jim...when are you going to offer a "group buy" price on the HD version?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 0

I'm getting one for Xmas. Way better than the current chasecam I have...my only concern is going to be win noise but when at 1080p glorious resolution I'll deal with it.
    John Stecher - Rochester Minnesota
    http://twitter.com/johnstecher - Follow me on Twitter
    http://www.trackpedia.net/blogs/john/ - My Blog
    http://www.trackpedia.com - The world's premier race track reference

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    I am quite happy thus far with my ContourHD. Much more robust construction than my original GoPro. Haven't tried the GoPro HD to compare, though. The first GoPro left such a bad taste in my mouth...

jim
    Jim,

Which mount are you using? These do look tempting. Thinking I might try out a SD version, and if I like it upgrade to the HD w/ the SD being rear-facing or something fun.

-Chris
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Liked: 111

The standard sticky mount seems to mount pretty well. I have used it on my helmet around the yard on a bike and the kart as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jjstecher View Post
    ...my only concern is going to be win[d] noise but when at 1080p glorious resolution I'll deal with it.
    Yes, I see what you mean, John. This video from a helmet-mounted camera on a FM at Laguna Seca illustrates both the wind noise issue, as well as convincing me that the roll bar is a far better mounting location than the driver's helmet.

http://vholdr.com/node/44583
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Stan, I will sharpen my pencil and come up with a price and details for a group offering.
    These units are available with both a flat mount or a bar mount. As for wind noise, if you are a little creative with some foam you can isolate and obscure the onboard mic from much of the unwanted noise. A minor disadvantages of an all in one unit like this, as opposed to the POV.1.5 is the mic is out there in the windstream. I thought I read in the GCR or perhaps race supps that hemet mounted cameras were prohibited in SCCA competition

Jim Gustafson
    Visual Communications
    www.vis-comm.com
    Last edited by Jim Gustafson; 08.31.12 at 1:17 PM.

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    Yes, I see what you mean, John. This video from a helmet-mounted camera on a FM at Laguna Seca illustrates both the wind noise issue, as well as convincing me that the roll bar is a far better mounting location than the driver's helmet.

http://vholdr.com/node/44583
    Makes the background look like a computer generated video game.

Liked: 0

That video at Laguna pretty much makes my point about the wind noise. Jim if you know how to block it you can put me on the list for a group by purchaser as long as you show me how to get tricky and block the wind. The picture is just beautiful on the camera and I would love to have it on the FB before the January races.
    John Stecher - Rochester Minnesota
    http://twitter.com/johnstecher - Follow me on Twitter
    http://www.trackpedia.net/blogs/john/ - My Blog
    http://www.trackpedia.com - The world's premier race track reference

John, the mic sensitivity is adjustable on the new Contour HD ($279.99) and the Contour HD 1080 ($329.99) and is located to help alleviate wind noise. Lowering the mic level is key in an open car, and quality won't suffer. As you know that engine noise is very loud, after racing in open cars for 39 years I can attest to that, as it has taken a toll on my hearing. A little experimentation with some foam will help greatly also. The best mic level varies on car to car and where this little jewel is mounted. On the POV.1.5 I think 2 or 3 out of 5 is where most racers find the best result.

Jim Gustafson
    Visual Communications
    www.vis-comm.com
    262-246-8944
    Last edited by Jim Gustafson; 08.31.12 at 1:17 PM.

Liked: 830

Hey Jim,
    Not much (enough <G>) info on the site, but the Contour HD1080p LOOKs pretty good. Your site says ... "System ships free in US. Optional bar mount $19.99. Car battery charger $49.99. " Does the system come with a battery charger? Does the battery HAVE to be removed from the camera to charge? Does it have an internal 110v charger ?? Is the 49.99 unit intended for 12v charging (like running off the car battery?) Does it REALLY last for 3 hours on a single charge, or is it more like 1 hr in most cases?

Inquiring minds want (NEED) to know...

How about throwing in the Bar mount for the $329 price for all us racer guys
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Default Contour HD Camera

Steve, the battery is charged with the included USB cable via a PC. The car charger is an option. The battery is removable/replaceable. Battery life is approx 3 hours and charge time is four. Unit comes with 2GB card, goggle mount, flat surface mount, battery and USB cable. Free bar mount for Apexspeed members thru December.

There is new pricing on the following accessories:

Car charger $19.99
    Bar mount $29.99
    AC charger $39.99
    Extra battery $29.99

BTW, we have two #1102 models left at $199.99. These are the 640 x 480 version. When they are gone, they are gone.

Jim Gustafson
    Visual Communications
    www.vis-comm.com
    262-246-8944
    Last edited by Jim Gustafson; 11.20.09 at 12:55 PM. Reason: New pricing on accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gustafson View Post
    We have Twenty20's 720p version (VholdR) in stock for $149.95. I apologize for this "commercial" but it is pertinent to the thread

Jim Gustafson
    Visual Communications
    Special sales price is over. We are down to just 2. $199.95 and we will include a spare battery and a bar mount.

Jim

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Jim;

I still have the bullet proof system I bought from you before I deployed to Iraq in 2008. Never out of the box.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 231

11 years and never opened? Now that's patience!

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Thread Information