Liked: 553

Default Power Commander Tuning Tips?

I started a thread over on the Sports Racers forum. I figured they may have a decent body of experience.

http://dsrforum.yuku.com/topic/6947

It says:

I'm taking my F1000 with '07 ZX-10R to the chassis dyno tonight. I have what I think is a good basic plan (see below), but looking for any advice. I've practiced making fuel map changes in my garage, but this will be my first time tuning a Power Commander for real.

I'm anticipating 5-10 runs. The first three will be to determine which map I will use as a starting point. The three I have chosen are the custom map that came with this used PCIII (I ran it at Barber, seemed OK), a 'zero' map and one of the available maps from the Power Commander web site.

Once that has been determined, I'll make full throttle runs, then look at the power and air/fuel ratio graphs. If I see dips in the power and corresponding, non-optimum AFR, I'll make a fuel map change for those RPM ranges and make another run.

Does that sound like a good plan?

I don't think I need to be concerned about any part throttle conditions. Would you agree?

Thanks.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 11

It would be neat if you could find someone local that has tuning experience to join you. What time are you going?
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Appointment is at 5:00. There is a guy from ZX-10R.net who will be there. He's got some experience. I considered hiring a guy, but didn't want to spend the money. Besides, I thought, how hard can it be? Of course, that's the same stupid thought that got me into the F1000 conversion bidness. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 50

Russ, your plan would seem adequate except...... Engine cylinder head and fluid temps are critical. (even gear box oils). You will see variances of 3 to 4 HP from ambient to full operating temps. To do what you are going to do, I would suggest MANY more runs.

Several pulls to speed and cruise using the eddy current load (or brake load). THEN do your tunes and comparisons. I would do 3 runs with each fuel map for comparisons.
    (and then reload an earlier map to compare again)

We do tuning every day so we have some experience.

Maybe you can get up this way some time (Lexington, KY) and you can spened a couple hours on the dyno doing it right. (and cheaper )

Jim
    SR
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Thanks for the offer, Jim. That's tempting, except for the cost of getting up there. My dyno session today cost $100. That seemed like a pretty good deal. I got there at 5:00 PM, made 8 runs, was productive and back home by 8:00 PM. I was able to see where my AFR was off a bit, make changes and see improvements.

It was definitely worthwhile. It was nice to hear the engine scream to the rev limiter and sound healthy. Gives me a little more confidence going into a race weekend, knowing the power plant is good.

Also saw very high oil pressure (90 lb.) - enough to make me consider lighter weight oil. I've got 15W-50 in there now.

Lastly, it was good to see this '07 engine is a little better than the '05 I had before. All in all a good experience.
    Last edited by RussMcB; 05.18.10 at 11:53 AM.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 702

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Lastly, it was good to see this '07 engine is a little better than the '05 I had before.
    ...and the results were?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    ...and the results were?
    I've got the data files, trying to download the DynoJet viewer software now so I can analyze.

Bottom line - went from 142 to 149 RWHP.

Have no idea how this might compare to other FB engines. That would be nice to know, but I'm happy with my improvement.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

This was my next to last run.
    Last edited by RussMcB; 06.27.10 at 8:27 PM.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 702

What does the peak HP at 80 mph convert to in RPM?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 50

HP always = RPM x Torque / 5252.

So it looks like his peak HP occurs at ~14180. (assuming his peak torque was ~55 when his peak HP was at 148.5. Hard to see on the graph)

Jim
    SR
    Last edited by sracing; 10.31.09 at 1:44 PM. Reason: correction
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    What does the peak HP at 80 mph convert to in RPM?
    Y'know, I don't know why he kept giving me info via MPH. I mentioned a few times I didn't care about that - that I cared about RPMs. Must be a drag racing thing.

I think you're looking at the torque curve, not HP. HP kept climbing right up to redline (a little over 13,000 RPM). Max torque was around 8,500 RPM, I think. We did our runs using 4th gear.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thread Information