Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Default New West Coast F1000 series proposed

Hello Fellow Formula F1000 owner/drivers:

I received the email below, from Thomas Copeland discussing a new proposed F1000 series located on or near the West Coast. Please review the letter and lets get some thoughts on this proposal. It sounds good to me, and would bring additional awareness to our FB Class. You may contact Thomas directly via here on ApexSpeed thru private email or just respond with your thoughts. It is very nice to see that other racers are interested in organizing new events and venures for our class.

Here's the email sent.............

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

"Hi Richard,

We are trying to put together a West Coast F-1000 pro series for 2010. We've already discuss this possibility with a current pro series organizer here on the West Coast about running a separate F-1000 series alongside their current pro series.

While the F-1000 series would run as an independent organization, with it's own rules, points system, and awards, it would probably take the shape (in it's first couple of years at least) of racing as a separate group within the existing pro series race with the F-1000 cars competing in a split start scenerio.

We would need at least 8 to 10 car entries per race to make this viable.

We are sending out emails to all the F-1000 drivers on the West Coast to see what level of interest there might be in running such a series. There will be trophies, contingency awards, and cash prizes for finishing positions.

If you believe that you would have an interest in participating in such a series please let us know. We are currently trying to make arrangements so we can put on such a series and the sooner we know the level of interest amoungst the drivers the sooner we can get something arranged for 2010.

Thank you for your input and any suggestions you might have to help make this a success venture.

Many Regards,

Thomas Copeland"

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Please respond accordingly with your thoughts, both pro and con on this idea, so the organizers have a better idea of what we as F1000 owner/drivers are thinking.

Best regards,
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 702

What events are the "current pro series organizer here on the West Coast" running with?
    If it's run in conjunction with SCCA Nationals then I'm all for it.

If it's run in conjunction with anything else, then I don't think it's a great idea (at this time.) I sent a detailed message to Thomas Copeland and hope that he'll respond here or privately.
    Last edited by Mike B; 10.12.09 at 6:18 PM.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 11

Sounds like they are considering a F2000 type series.

Focus on the 5 year national status/ runoffs bid plan. This series, if not run w/ scca nationals, and if popular, would kill the SCCA effort and really impact the values of the cars not to mention the $$ invested by the builders (in a bad way).

Not enough cars out there to start fracturing where they run.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Hi Guys,

I really wish this hadn't gotten out just yet as we are still quite a ways from getting anything set up.

Maybe I should have mentioned that I wished the email to be kept more confidental.

The purpose of the email was to gather up what the interest level was in running a West Coast Pro F-1000 Series.

The idea behind it is to give more venues for F1000 drivers to compete, and hopefully by doing so, encourage more to become involved in the class.

Some may see this as possibly taking away SCCA entries, in favor of the the Pro series. I don't think there is a single F1000 driver or manufacturer that I contacted that has gotten back to me that intends to cut back on their SCCA involvement to run this series.

Also it is proposed that some of the points that will count towards the Pro championship will come from SCCA national races in addition to the standalone Pro races. Possibly a mix of half/half. That should help us in getting to the entries per event needed to achieve runoff status. I can tell you that Firman West intends to run 3 cars in our West Coast nationals next year.

Please give me a chance to pull something together first. I plan to work closely with my fellow F1000 competitors to see to that this done properly and in a manner that everyone finds agreeable. I not planning to work this out in a vaccuum. That was the purpose of sending out the email. To get everyone's feedback to make sure whatever we do we do right. Once the format is finalized I think everyone will agreed that this will be a positive and help work to advance the class.

I encourage everyone that would like to participate or provide feedback to contact me directly. My email is: tecopeland@hotmail.com

Thanks for everyone's understanding.

Thomas Copeland
    Firman West Cars
    Firman F1000

Liked: 43

I agree with MikeB and Carnut169 on this issue. If it is held in conjunction with SCCA nationals and contributes to the national car count then it would be beneficial. The added exposure of the class running at a pro level may make the class more appealing to a few drivers that want to have the potential to move up to the pro ranks. However if its not held in conjuction with the SCCA nationals then it will definitlety fragment the racing schedules and pull a number of entries away from the F 1000 national count. This would certainly make it difficult for F 1000 to make it to a permanent national class status, thus creating instability that would probably keep a number of people from getting into this class. Also pro series almost always seem to be short lived unless there is perfect execution of marketing. With out the stability of a national SCCA class I think the class would be doomed. I have been around sportscar racing since 1984 and feel that dollar for dollar you cannot go any faster around a road course than you can in F 1000 and do so with as close of competition!!!! Yes it would make a great pro series but it would have to be done at the right time and the right way.

I think that all F1000 owner/drivers need to take a breather and let Thomas Copeland work on his proposed program. Give him the time to come up with a plan. We should welcome any effort to attract racers and build a class of FB owners. All F1000 owners need to be open minded.

The SCCA is not the only racing venue in America, and I can't see why any owner/driver owes the SCCA anything. I am an SCCA National Competition licensed driver, for the last 6 years. I have recently joined a new motorsports group in Albuquerque, NM and enjoy the group. They are non SCCA. Does that mean that I am now out in the cold and a rejected F1000 owner/driver to other F1000 drivers because I choose to join a non SCCA racing group to run my Formula F1000?

We should be happy to own the cars, enjoy what we have and be able to race or run our cars with any organizing body. The SCCA has no exclusives on me.

Yes, I would like to see the FB Class gain a national SCCA Run-off berth in the future, but no one should criticize or get down on other people for wanting to add Formula F1000's to other racing venues.

The SCCA is a fine, well balanced and disciplined organization, but F1000 owners should not be so narrowed minded in where F1000 owner/drivers may get to race, run, or even test their own cars.

I do not know Thomas Copeland. I have never met or spoken with him. I am however very interested to see what he and his group come up with. We need to be patient, not hostile towards him and see what if anything, develops. I would sincerely hope that no one individual or individuals tell others what venue to race in..... or with. The SCCA is not a dictatorship for racing nor should any one F1000 owner become a dictator for other F1000 owner/drivers IMO.

Many of the fellow racers that I race with in the new organization, Southwest Motorsports (SWMS) are fellow SCCA racers who have the passion for motorsports, still enter SCCA race events, but want the freedom of participating in other motorsports organizations and race events.

Lets be open minded. Lets see what happens, give the guy a chance, before sticking knives into him. I thought it would be wise to inform my fellow F1000 owner/drivers, but now realize that it may have been a mistake in light of the quick defensive nature of some F1000 owners. I apologize to Thomas Copeland in a public forum if I created any problems for him.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

deleted...
    Last edited by Mike B; 10.12.09 at 8:08 PM. Reason: trying to keep an open mind...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 553

It is clear, even to me (someone content to race F1000 in regional races), the single most important goal needs to be making national numbers next year. If that goal isn't met, the class will die off, which would be a real shame. The class has a lot going for it. If the economy hadn't taken such a nose dive, I think FB would be on a strong path for survival and growth. Unfortunately, the timing is bad, but we just have to do the best we can.

Perhaps the pro series being considered could also grant double points for SCCA nationals. Win/win? I'd think the pro series would want a strong SCCA program, too (like FF2000).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Richard,

I hope you and Thomas don't think that I am slamming the idea of a pro series. All I am stating is that there should be some caution in how it is set up. If you look at the time of my post vs Thomas', I was writing my reply at the same time he was doing his. He pretty much covered and is considering the same thoughts that I expressed. I look forward to see what he and his group can come up with.

As far as SCCA is concerned it is about the only playground in our neck of the woods. I am glad you and others in your area have options. I just view SCCA as the roots of our F 1000 tree because that is the first organization to consolidate the class efforts.

Northwind:

I agree with everything you wrote, and I totally respect guys like Mike B and Sean O for all the efforts that these guys put into building the class and getting it off the ground. And all others who have made such a positive impact to Formula F1000 race cars.

Seems like there is so much energy, concern and tension over numbers for the class. As one other poster just wrote tonight, the class will take care of itself. It will either make it or not. If the class in the next two years doesn't make a national status, I really don't believe that F1000 owner/drivers will sell their cars and move on. I do not envision destruction of the class as some have posted. They will enjoy the benefits of racing these beauties, and those that are the top notch National drivers will continue to excel even if it's considered a regional class. There will always be the best of the best, and we already pretty much know who these drivers are. Coop, Jaremko, Stecher and others, they are true competitors.

As many have written here on these forums for FB, major economic problems and concerns that have hit the country, has taken it's toll on the racing community. Not only FB, but all classes. I really don't see much improvement in 2010 for general economic improvement. That will most likely result in low new car sales, fewer conversions, and possibly some F1000 owner/drivers giving up the sport and selling the cars due to financial hardships. We already see F1000 cars changing hands in ownership at some really great bargain prices. It's pure economics that has slowed the entire motorsports industry, all the way from professional down to amatuer racing. Revenue and attendence for NASCAR is down, sponsorship is hard to find, and these conditions emulate down to our own racing environment. The major racing companies are publicly traded securities so there is allot of information on their own financial problems and state of the motorsports industry.

There is no doubt in my mind that every F1000 owner/driver wants the best for the class, each and every one of us. But there are so many factors that we do not have control over, that will ultimately guide us all in one or another direction. I just can't see wasting a whole lot of time and energy over powers that we have no control over. The 2009 ARRC will be a testimonial for F1000 attendence. I think I have most owner/drivers listed on my website that I have built. Now we need to see who will or who will not attend. It won't be because they don't want to attend, it will be pure economics and monetary contraints that dictate the number of registered participants.

The positives of all the posts is that they keep us all together as one group, one purpose, one vision, one goal, and that is for us all to try to enjoy our F1000 race cars and have our own little racing community prosper now and in the future.

F1000 will continue to grow, alibeit a slower pace, but it will grow.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dziak View Post
    I do not envision destruction of the class as some have posted. They will enjoy the benefits of racing these beauties, and those that are the top notch National drivers will continue to excel even if it's considered a regional class.
    I think the class will die a pretty quick death without national racing. A lot of the drivers are only in this class because it is a national class. It will be a real shame for the constructors as this is the only open wheel class that has really gotten a lot of new chassis out there.

Very few people on an SCCA weekend are out there for the fun of driving around. They are looking for racing and competition in their class.

If the class in the next two years doesn't make a national status, I really don't believe that F1000 owner/drivers will sell their cars and move on. I do not envision destruction of the class as some have posted. They will enjoy the benefits of racing these beauties, and those that are the top notch National drivers will continue to excel even if it's considered a regional class. There will always be the best of the best, and we already pretty much know who these drivers are. Coop, Jaremko, Stecher and others, they are true competitors.
    I guarantee that the top notch National drivers will not stay in F1000 if it's no longer a National class. They want to race where there is competition, not where there might be one or two other cars to race against. They'll drop it and move on, selling their cars and devaluing everyone's investments. Do you think Mark Jaremko, Glenn Cooper, Justin Pritchard, or Niki Coello would have any interest in F1000 if it was a regional class? (Not sure how Stecher got lumped into that group...)
    Hell, for that matter, do you think Ralph Firman or Lee Stohr would've bothered designing and building a car for a regional class?

Seems like there is so much energy, concern and tension over numbers for the class. As one other poster just wrote tonight, the class will take care of itself. It will either make it or not.
    But there are so many factors that we do not have control over, that will ultimately guide us all in one or another direction. I just can't see wasting a whole lot of time and energy over powers that we have no control over.
    I don't accept this attitude. There are more factors that we can control than those that we can't. I'm not willing to let the best class in the SCCA go with the whims of the wind. We can control the future of this class. I agree that it will take care of itself, but only after it has grown to the point of receiving an invitation to the Runoffs and the stability that will afford us. Now is such a critical time in the growth of the class that I'm not willing to just sit back and see what happens.

The positives of all the posts is that they keep us all together as one group, one purpose, one vision, one goal, and that is for us all to try to enjoy our F1000 race cars and have our own little racing community prosper now and in the future.
    Couldn't agree more. In order to grow and prosper, we do need to stay together as one group with one purpose, vision, and goal. If the class begins to splinter this early, there won't be much growth.

F1000 will continue to grow, alibeit a slower pace, but it will grow.
    Not if we don't reach the goal of earning a Runoffs invitation in 2010 or 2011.

Richard, I know you've been one of the biggest cheerleaders of F1000 and I'm very grateful for the effort you've put into it, but remember that if it wasn't for the SCCA, and them granting us national status from the beginning, there wouldn't be an F1000.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Where's the beef?

Right here:

To me it's all about the competition. At most Nat events there seems to be some, at Reg's - not so much. Well Barber this year coulda been the exception to the rule, if only my car woulda cooperated!

The Reg'l. mantra seems to be "I'm out here for some fun". Which of copurse is all well and good. MY problem is I'm in this for more than fun. Driving fast is fun, but in Coop's World TM, I'm really into it for the wheel to wheel, teeth grittin' , side by side through the esses Racing / Competition.

Until we have the security of the Nat Partic. #'s, in my mind (and most likely SCCA HQ) - WE Ain't S**t!
    I see any attempt to dilute the efforts of us all from this occuring as bad news.
    Yeah, I'll hold full judgement on any attempts of "breaking away" or whatever.

Kinda reminds me (although on a much smaller scale) the CART / IRL split... I mean did the good folks in Indy actually believe there was ennough interest in Open Wheel Formula Car racing in the US to fragment it the way they did? Hell no, and a kick ass series died off.

News Flash - We better get off our collective asses and make this happen, THIS YEAR.
    Let it take care of itself? My cat couldn't take care of himself! We're gonna invest all this time, energy and our own hard earned $'s and not fight for this? Oh Hell No...

I'm not even at the point of discussing what I'd do if FB goes Reg'l only after a 5 year "gimme". Talk about a let down.

More than a few cars will be coming out this year. There are classes with lower #'s than us. We have steadily been building. Quite possibly we will have more entries at the ARRC than DSR had at the RO's! Momentum is not something to be taken lightly.

We are 3 years in. We are over the hump, both in time and the initial push to get cars out there. There's no time left for talkin'. The time is now for pushing. Got a buddy that's on the fence? Yank his ass down! 'Splain to him how it's now or never.
    Get passionate about FThou, cause without that...

G. DiCoopola / 43FB

********** Modeartor - Please move to FB National #'s thread - sorry...*******
    Last edited by glenn cooper; 10.13.09 at 10:24 AM. Reason: wrong thread

Liked: 0

Mike is on like Donkey Kong...I might actually have to show up at the track this year and adjust something on the car versus just drinking beer and fixing things that fall off if you keep talking your smack...or your car might just fall out the trailer in the Smokey Mountains on the way down to the January races.

In all seriousness I support everything Mike said 100% we need to **** or get off the pot. Sorry its our year this year, no excuses guys we need to make this happen or I'm out and going to FE and I am sure a lot of other drivers are as well. I started my whole racing adventure here two years back in FB cause its bad ass and I want to see it stick around but we've got to get the car counts up to solidify its standing inside the SCCA and most importantly get new blood into new cars. FB is what really got me into racing after I torched my DSR and decided HPDE's were boring as hell. There are a lot of friends I have in the same boat looking to jump in that are waiting to see what happens to the class before dropping serious coin on a car...we solidify the class we have more people to race with cause I am sure a lot of similar people will jump in.

I've been putting money in the piggy bank to make the trip down to FLA for the winter nationals unfortunately dragging Mike PoS car along as well . If some one wants to house a trailer and van for a month or so I will leave my gear down there and fly back down for the next double national in Texas (usually in Feb) to help with the car counts as well.
    John Stecher - Rochester Minnesota
    http://twitter.com/johnstecher - Follow me on Twitter
    http://www.trackpedia.net/blogs/john/ - My Blog
    http://www.trackpedia.com - The world's premier race track reference

Liked: 0

Default don't forget CMP and Rd Atl...

The SEDIV has some Nat events in the early part of the year too, not just in FL.

http://www.sedivracing.org/

check the above site for the 2010 schedule for sediv.

Come on down-- you don't want to shovel snow anyway!!

Hey John,

Tell your freinds to jump in, The water will be fine if they do. So, How many FB's are going to be running in Cen-div in 2010?

Stecher
    Beauchamp
    Coello
    Robinson

Anybody I might be missing? Let's get the MOMENTUM going right now!

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by jjstecher View Post
    I've been putting money in the piggy bank to make the trip down to FLA for the winter nationals unfortunately dragging Mike PoS car along as well . If some one wants to house a trailer and van for a month or so I will leave my gear down there and fly back down for the next double national in Texas (usually in Feb) to help with the car counts as well.

I'll find you a place here to store the rig. I'm up for a coordinated effort to run some early races. I'll go over to Texas with you. I think that there is a good chance that Wren, Kyle, and or I can get your van and trailer over to Atlanta for you if you will fly back and run the March National at Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Dixon View Post
    I'll find you a place here to store the rig. I'm up for a coordinated effort to run some early races. I'll go over to Texas with you. I think that there is a good chance that Wren, Kyle, and or I can get your van and trailer over to Atlanta for you if you will fly back and run the March National at Atlanta.
    Seriously, do this. Leave your rig in the south and come race at Atlanta with Coop, Brandon, and Russ. We will pick you up at the airport or do whatever it takes to make it work. March in Atlanta also has potential to be pretty nice weather.

Liked: 11

I can probably arrange storage (short term!) in a secure lot south of Atlanta...

I'd really likt to see FB succeed. I will be buying another race car at some point (within the next couple years) and am relying on you guys to sort out the heat/ oiling gremlins and meet our 5 year goal!

I am now a pretty good example of why it needs to stay national... I like racing National events due to the fact that the drivers there are generally better drivers. If FB became regional only, I'd be quite torn as the values would drop but I'd most likely buy an FC instead (or an FF w/ a Honda ).
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 5

Default stupid question

I am new to this, so please forgive my question about "national" vs "regional" class status.

What is the difference? Just no invitation to the Runoffs?

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default Regional vs. National

Invinsea's query prompts me to wonder out loud about an idea that has been abuzz in my aging brain.

Why does the SCCA differentiate between Regionals and Nationals?

I know the CASC used to only have Novice and National races. You did a school, ran a couple races as a novice and then into the deep end of the pool. Could improve car counts.

I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivinsea View Post
    I am new to this, so please forgive my question about "national" vs "regional" class status.

What is the difference? Just no invitation to the Runoffs?
    Right now FB is a national class without a runoffs invitation.

A regional only class is a class that may only run at regional races. Examples would be Formula First or FS. Neither of these cars would be allowed at a national race.

A national class may run at either regionals or nationals.

Without national racing, there will be a lot fewer people willing to spend the money and effort it takes to campaign an FB. I would expect the market on LD-200s to get a little tight if FB goes regional only.

Liked: 5

I believe SCCA participation is down for all (or most) classes.

Given that fact and the recession, wouldn't SCCA give FB a few more years to get our numbers up? Why would they not give us a little more time?

Thread Information