Liked: 273

Default Edge FB a Day at the Dyno

Today was an interesting day to say the least. We're getting our engine developement program going into high gear now so we ventured 1 block away to our local Dyno Shop. Yep we are so lucky to have one of the best in SoCal a block away.

Ok, so we roll up to the dyno and determine the car is way to low. So we proceed to remove the diffuser...still not enough...so we cranked in 4 turns on the rear ride height and we're good to go.

So now where strapin' this thing down like it's a mad dog with these huge straps, dang this looks a bit scary I thought to myself. The dyno guy says "don't worry he hasn't lost a car off this thing yet".

So after a 10 minute brief from the dyno operator on what to do while I'm behind the wheel we start makin' some noise. We did 4 pulls...first in 4th gear at 12,500, second the same...then after a call to Geo. Dean we determined 5th was the most valid.

Fourth dyno pull was 5th gear @ 12,500 yeild 150.2 HP.....150 MPH. This was a baseline for our new engine that goes in next week.

Nothing like having a high strung MC motor screaming in your ear inches behind you and you're not going anywhere....spooky feeling.

Next weeks dyno run I'll have my Go Pro mounted.

Gary Hickman
    Edge FB #76
    Last edited by ghickman; 07.07.13 at 3:00 PM.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default not a trick question...

hope you had your safety gear on and that the fire supression system was operational

Liked: 553

Very cool. I'll bet it attracted attention. Probably not often they hear 12,500 RPM.

My guy's chassis dyno is a little different. It has one giant roller, so the lowness of the formula car is not an issue.

My '04 ZX-10R was around 142 HP. I'm hoping to squeeze in another trip to the dyno soon now that my car has an '07 engine and Power Commander.

Looking forward to your post about the your next trip.

PS. Maybe remove a little more body work so you can watch the chain. We were entertained with the movements of mine. I run my chain a little tighter as a result.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 0

Gary,

What brand and year motor was in there at the time? Stock or has it been touched by the hands of Dean?
    Ken

Liked: 11

2 comments-
    Everyone knows you can't compare two different dyno runs or even the same dyno on a different day, right? Gary's run might have also been 140hp on Russ's dyno...

PM performance (engineering?) has a dyno that uses no rollers at all. The upright bolts to the dyno and it seems like it would be much easier on your cars. They made an adapter to fit my FB (Van Diemen) so any car with the same wheel stud pattern would fit. Unfortunately while they were making the adapter I sold my car so I never got a chance to use it.... but if it were me, and I wanted to massage all the hp I could out of my FB, I'd call Paul and schedule an afternoon. With a fuel management device (Powercommander, etc) you can find hp esp since most builders do not have the luxury of tuning with your exhaust/ intake.

Here a little video of Russ's car on the dyno... it was spooky!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...LA1000DYNO.flv
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 151

I would be really interested to hear any results from the new engine.

Did the master cylinders stay nice and cool?

Liked: 11

Took me a second Wren.... but lol!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Default Ebay Special 05 GSXR1000

That would be our 05 GSXR1000..This dyno run was done with our 8 plus race old Ebay special engine....funny but it still has the same spark plugs it came with.

We'll do the next run with an 08 GSXR1000 at the same time in the morning and as close to the same air density.

Yes we had the fire system armed and extra bottle in hand.

Forgot to mention one other interesting point. This engine never ran above 30 PSI Oil pressure at speed and when it was hot at idle was 5 PSI or less. Geo. Dean said run it so we did.

Gary Hickman
    FB #76
    Last edited by ghickman; 10.09.09 at 1:34 PM.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 5

Default Ebay engines

Gary - is your new engine also an Ebay-sourced engine?

Default Another ebay special

Quote Originally Posted by Ivinsea View Post
    Gary - is your new engine also an Ebay-sourced engine?
    Yep, sure enough is. Was lucky enough to get it from LA....was able to drive to the place and have a look see first before forking over the $$$.

Gary
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Sounds off a tad

Yo G, what weight oil r u runnin'
    I'm gonna step it up to 20w-50 (from 15w-40), unless it's real cold @ ARRC.
    GC

Default That would be

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    Yo G, what weight oil r u runnin'
    I'm gonna step it up to 20w-50 (from 15w-40), unless it's real cold @ ARRC.
    GC
    20w-50 Golden Spectro4....this engine has never made more than 30psi at speed when warm since the day it went in the car. Geo. Dean told us that MJ would come in with 5psi or less and they never worried about it. I believe that was a Yamaha as I recall.

GH
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Ya know...

the factory Spudzooki manual calls for anything over 23psi and u r all good!
    I'm sure the 5 psi mentioned was at hot idle after the race/session.
    I'm in single digits then as well, as I'm sure we all are.
    I see about 40-44 psi hot w/ the Redline 15w-40 synth.
    I am going to try our (BG Products) 20w-50 synth next time out, barring a cold snap.
    I think that '05 of yours must have some "cavernous" oil clearances!

C U in Nov!
    GC

Thread Information