Thread: Our Future

Liked: 7

Default Our Future

Its no secret that the economy has put a dent in our race plans for this season. Everyone has felt the effects. Formula car drivers especially feel the pinch as our specific type of race car makes it difficult to combine with other classes. If we don't show up in significant numbers we face penelties such as less track time or restrictive race venues.
    Maybe its time for the heads of various race organizations to meet and see what we can do to structure our schedules, promote Formula car racers or whatever it takes to increase car counts and attract new drivers to the Formula car ranks. The Bill Scott Series has the right idea; they cater to all drivers from every organization and promote the Formula classes. If more tracks can do Formula car series or more clubs can "share" their drivers in the interest of bigger fields maybe a "World Series" of formula car racers can be established ?
    Anyone have some ideas?

Liked: 0

Lindsey,

With all due respect and I hope you don't interpret this the wrong way-

The Bill Scott Formula Car Series has had it's doors open to FPR members for a couple of years now. I was surprised to see that other than Ambrose coming once or twice (not this year) FPR members have not regularly attended our many events at Summit Point.
    I'm not interested in politics and personalities, the BSFCS with FRCCA is the only all-formula car race series that I know of in the mid-atlantic. Open wheel drivers feel at home with us and get lots of track time in a safe, open wheel friendly environment. It should be supported.

The Scott family has given more than any other track owner would be willing to give to get open wheel cars on the track. Mr. Scott wanted open wheels at Summit Point and Jens has made it happen.

Formula car numbers ARE low. everywhere. We have what I consider a once in a lifetime opportunity with the current interest of the Scott family to put formula cars on the track. They made the commitment to do this for a few years. We are ending year 2. What to the Scott's see for the future? I can't say. Could our numbers be higher? Sure. It starts with open wheel drivers showing up.

You guys coming this weekend?
    Last edited by ghoneycutt; 09.22.09 at 10:32 PM.
    SF86 Reynard FC
    FRCCA http://www.formularacecarclubofamerica.com
    Bill Scott Formula Car Series http://www.bsfcs.com
    BMod Autocrosser http://www.nationalroadrally.com/

Default Our Future

I referred to the Bill Scott Series as an example of a track setting up a series for Formula Cars only. I am aware that frcca uses this series as part of their own schedule of races. I have talked with Jens on the subject of promoting Formula cars and that is why I included Summit Point on our schedule. However, the decision to race and where will always remain a personel decision by each racer. I can not "bring" or push drivers to any particular race anymore than any other series administrator . The factor that will motivate more drivers to attend , together,any particular race or series remains the big question. And that is the question , with the correct answer, that will return Formula car racing to big fields and the prominence it once held. The F2000 Series has that appeal and draws big fields. The "regional" drivers have to rise to that level to provide a similar race experience for the majority of Formula drivers . I have driven in the F2000 series and there is a professionalism and sense of being involved in a series that is exceptional that draws drivers back each season.

Liked: 17

Default Formula Car Series

To all who read,

I am sure that there are drivers that want an all formula car series and I see that one exists in the BSFCS. I would like to be a part of a large group myself. I enjoyed the FPR series due to the fact that Lindsey has put such a great effort into FPR. Having product sponsors is great. Its not a ton of stuff but anything helps these days. What concerns me is that there are many groups that are running all on their own. I have to say, EMRA is probably on its way out. There is better track time than the SCCA but the events are not as good and there are maybe 6 cars. I ran the SCCA Fun One up at Watkins Glen this past weekend and it was awesome. Granted, there was about six different classes in our field, I always had someone to race with. More than 30 cars.
    Lindsey has done a great job at mixing up the tracks and organizations more this year. The fact of the matter is that economy and multiple series has thinned the car counts. Is there a way to get all the formula cars together? Many want to run in the SCCA for the points and regional/National titles. After this weekend, I would want to also. I like the Extra day that many tracks have for testing before racing giving more time between track sessions on race day. Three sessions on race day is hectic (EMRA).

Greg,
    I believe the BSFCS runs only at Summit Point. It is more than 6 hour tow for me from CT and to tell you the truth, I like running different tracks. I want to run the Glen, Limerock, NJMP and Summit Point. I would not want to run only Summit all year. If the series can hook up with a sanctioning body to get to different tracks, thats great. Oh yeah, NO WAY I want to run Pocono again. I can just race around my yard and neighborhood instead.
    But again, I think the issue for me is wanting to run at multiple tracks.

I dont want politics and I only want good personalities. I just want to run at good tracks during good events. There has to be plenty of guys who will never want to run the F2000 series due to $$. If you are one of the guys with $$ falling out of your pockets, then let me know and I can give you my address and you can spend a few hours walking around my front yard. Drop all you want.
    The northern racing calandar is quickly coming to a close for the year. What can we do about getting more cars together next year? Does the BSFCS want to go to other tracks? is it possible? I ask cause I don't know. Like I said, I am good for 4 to 5 events a year and I want them to be good ones. Definitely going back to the Fun One at the Glen. ANy others, I'm open.

Chris

Default next season

The 2009 season is coming to a close... so its time to start thinking about next season. If you have been on the sidelines this year, for whatever reason, its time to start thinking if racing will be a part of your life next season. The schedules will be coming out in a few months . If you can't do a whole season then try to plan on a few and try to be there. The more that come to a particular event the more fun and excitement for all.
    Formula Pro Racing will be incorporating the best of the EMRA schedule along with the Bill Scott Series( Summit Point) and some SCCA races to give our members the best tracks and championship series .
    Please be sure to think of our sponsors when buying race equipment and parts.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to ALL and look forward to seeing many more cars on the grid next season

Voting for the Bill Slowik Award will take place in December.

Liked: 0

In addition to the Thunderbolt weekend, Doug and I ran both of the Bill Scott Series weekends that were on the FPR schedule. We now have to run a limited number of races and so pick ones that are at tracks that he likes and have two races in the same weekend. Unfortunately, there were no other FPR cars there other than the weekend that Len was running with the 2000 Pros. Even though we did very well against the other FCs that were there during both weekends, by default we got four poles and four wins as far as the FPR series goes. This was not the way we wanted to pick up FPR points. One advantage to going as we did was that it was warm both weekends instead of freezing in November with EMRA. This helped us to set some new best times. We also got a lot of track time, which in itself was almost worth the trip (5 1/2 hours each way for us). Both race weekends were run very well. When there was a change in the schedule due to rain, we got a new printed schedule delivered to our trailer. This helped a lot in getting to the false grid on time for the many sessions that each class had. This is one track that we hope will be on the 2010 schedule along with Thunderbolt and one we have yet to try, Lightning, especially if they are two race weekends.
    Ian L. McKechnie (dad)
    Crewchief FC 61

Liked: 4

You'll love Llighting... It has become our favorite track.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Liked: 53

What does the car count look like for Lightning this weekend under the FPR tent? We will be bringing one driver with us in one of our F2000 Pro Cars.
    Group-A Racing
    Blue Marble Cocktails Radical Cup & Exclusive North East Radical Sports Car Dealer
    (631) 974-4379
    www.GroupARacingTeam.com

I am attanding a wedding in the area, may drop buy, but will be carless.

Liked: 17

How's getting to NJMP from New England? It looks like a horrible tow the last couple hours...
    Last edited by racer27; 10.15.09 at 12:42 PM.
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

I take Parkway or NJTPK from NNJ, starting close to the TZ Bridge. Never had any issues with roads or traffic. In particuiliar this time of year, post shore season.

Starting at TZ, it's mostly highway all the way down at 70 MPHish. If you have to cross over the Hundson, avoid the GWB, it's always a gamble.

Default Lightning

FPR drivers are not going due to weather

Thread Information