Liked: 8

Default Friday Fun with an X-ray machine and an upright

So....the building I work in has an x-ray machine that all our stuff goes thru when we come in the building.... I had an upright with me to ship to Gord for his Hawke... So I figured I'd run it thru the x-ray machine and see what it looked like. I didnt have my camera or phone on me to take a pic, and it doesnt print out..

But, it was a high-res image of the upright, and I can see thru it - the welds, seams, etc are all visible. I ran it through in a few different positions and could clearly see any imperfections on the inside if there were any.

Anyone else do this with a standard security x-ray scanner? What difference are services that provide x-ray imaging to find cracks/etc?

Have a good weekend,

-Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Liked: 2

The company I work for does x-ray, mag particle, ultrasonic, and UV fluid testing on parts and welds for many different objects to determine cracks or other problms like inclusions, slugged welds, voids etc. We do this on parts for aircraft to nuclear reactors.

The real trick is in the reading of the xray and angle that you run it through.Great way to see if there are any issues.

Liked: 3

Mike, you rock. I look forward to having an amber liquid with you sometime

Gord
    later Gord
    BTW...only toilets need doors
    www.blurredvisionracing.com

Liked: 10

I was in the Air Force for some years, and the "non-destructive testing" that they do on military aircraft is amazing. Particularly for certain parts, such as the C5 Galaxy aircraft (which you can DRIVE four greyhound busses onto) wing parts, which needs "new wings" every few thousand hours. . . But then, when price/reliability is no object. . .

Chris Eckles

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInAtlanta View Post
    I was in the Air Force for some years, and the "non-destructive testing" that they do on military aircraft is amazing. Particularly for certain parts, such as the C5 Galaxy aircraft (which you can DRIVE four greyhound busses onto) wing parts, which needs "new wings" every few thousand hours. . . But then, when price/reliability is no object. . .

Chris Eckles
    Actually the rule says 8 Greyhound busses in a C5's cargo bay which is 121' long.
    But then who's counting!
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Russian jets

For a project I had in the Boston area we rented one of the big Russian jets to fly the part over from Japan. Well some engineers figured shipping it in a nitrogen filled container would be a swell idea, just didn't figure the pressures at 35,000 feet correct and the vessel went pop. Had to do an emergency landing in Russia and I got to call the Adjuster and let him know the $XX million dollar part we need yesterday is siting on an airfield in easter Russia. Wonder what they used to inspect the plane after that as it was damaged during the POP>

Ed

Liked: 0

Default x-ray inspection

i do the initail setup and software and hardware loading and calibration on digital computed tomograhy (ie CT scanners) and other xray medical systems. One of the final inspections we do is to shoot many images of various items and calibrated pahntom to chech the software capabiltiy to manipulate images and to make sure it takes all the necessary shots required and at the proper exposure levels. Many shots of my helmets camshafts, lifters, springs, and connecting rods have been taken and examined with a vauge idea of what a crak or imperfection would look like. Since we take an exposure from every 5 degrees of angle any inperection would show up 72 times. It sure is fun to see

Thread Information