Liked: 553

Default Barber Motorsports Park Dbl SARRC '09

Three FB's ran the two races this past weekend: Brandon Dixon, Jerry Freeman and I. Glen Cooper attempted, but had frustrating harness/injector/TBD problems during the test day and went home to debug.

Brandon was super fast, at least compared to Jerry and I. All three of us had pretty good weekends.

Saturday dawned with steady rain and we were an early qualifying group. All but a few had full rain tires, and that was the best choice. Brandon got overall pole and I was pretty thrilled with third fastest OA.

Saturday's race was in a steady rain. We all made it through unscathed. Brandon finished third OA, Scott Woodruff took 4th OA from me on the penultimate lap, but I was plenty happy with my first race finish since Aug, '08. Jerry had a fun race and finished well, too (11th OA).

Sunday was dry, so the fat-tired FA's moved up the grid. Brandon was still 2nd OA (behind pole winner Rick Ross). I started on the third row (further up than I expected - probably helped by a very short Q session - only 12 min).

The dry race was fun. Rick & Brandon finished 1-2 OA. Brandon's fastest race lap was 1:26.48, which was stunningly fast from my point of view (mine was a 1:33.0). Jerry's fastest lap was a 1:38, which we all thought was pretty good. He and his car got faster all weekend. Sean O'Connell (retired F1000 pioneer) was helping Jerry on Friday, and I'm sure that didn't hurt.

Back to Sunday's race. Brandon disappeared soon after the green flag, but I had gotten a good start and was having fun battles with an FA and two DSR's. Unfortunately, with 2 laps to go, I tried a much too aggressive outbraking move going into the corkscrew did a half-spin and high sided on the curbing. I was unable to get started and my second place FB finish turned into a third place.

My new (to me) 2007 ZX-10R engine ran well. Always had great oil pressure and low temps. I wasn't fast this past weekend, but may be able to start working on that. I think it is more of a driver problem than car at this point. Russ is rusty.

Thanks to Brandon, Wren, Jerry (and family) for a fun weekend.
    Last edited by RussMcB; 09.29.13 at 9:34 AM.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 7

I gotta start by saying this weekend was the most fun I've had at the races in a long time. Friday's first session was my first laps around Barber and it showed. Thanks to Sean O. the next session was much better. Don't know what times I ran but they actually felt better than the race on sunday.

The rain race was exciting for me to say the least. Stayed on track and finished. Tried to stay behind Russ and Scott the last two laps after they lapped me. Those guys were running good.

Sunday was fun after turn one. Started 15 out of 23 cars and turn one looked like a burnout from the back with all the tire smoke. We all made it and then I slowly made my way around a FC and FM after following for a couple laps. Once I got some clean track I just tried to work on going a little faster every lap but the car was pushing pretty good. Unfortunately I saw Russ on the curb the last lap and knew all I had to do was get around clean for second.

It was great racing with and meeting some more people here on apex. Had alot of people come look at the car and give some good words about the homebuilt turd. The car can go faster if the driver will just take that "leap of faith" Sean O. was trying to get me to take on friday. Brandon was just rediculous fast. I wish Glenn could have run because that would have been some good racing. I can't tell you how glad I was to see Russ run good. He was gettin it done in the rain on saturday.

My stock '07 oil system seems to be working fine so far. Temps were there highest on friday, 190 water and 230 oil. And that's with the factory wet sump.

Thanks to everyone and hopefully we'll be in Atlanta in November.

Liked: 0

Great job guys, I wish I could have been there as well. Nice trophy Russ - I never did get mine after last year

See you all at the ARRC

Liked: 1

Russ and all the guys played nice on Sun. It was good to see a BIG field of winged cars on such a nice day in AL.
    The 77 was just flyin 2nd overall?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Way to go Russ ! I'm glad to hear you had a smooth, issue-free weekend for a change.
    Way to go Scott as well !
    Great to see Brandon Dixon making laps in his new ride. I can't wait to see his new car in person. Can't say for sure the last time I saw him making laps in FF, but safe to say it has been 5-7 years.
    The ARRC seems to be shaping up nicely.

Rob Poma

Contributing Member
    Liked: 6

I was in the FM that caused all the smoke in turn one. The guy in front of me nailed the brakes as did I to go around him. I finished where I started. But my first race and first time in car on Sat netted me 2nd in FM. Lost a spot on Sunday to finish 3rd out of three FMs. Hey I got some invaluable seat time at a great track...just want some more....now....

Here's one of Russ>>

And the 2nd overall / FB winner with F1 wheel covers and all>

Since there wasn't a thread on this race in the FC section here is one of my buddy Dave's Citation on the back>
    Last edited by Mark H; 09.10.09 at 8:55 PM.
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 151

This was a really fun weekend. I had a great time with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    And the 2nd overall / FB winner with F1 wheel covers and all>
    Wheel covers are still illegal, we wouldn't have them anywhere near the car.

Well wheels , covers ?/ I just think that they look cool.
    Not trying to stur up no muck, I forgot about that whole thing from a while back
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    Well wheels , covers ?/ I just think that they look cool.
    Not trying to stur up no muck, I forgot about that whole thing from a while back
    I wasn't either. I just thought the whole thing from a while back was pretty funny too. At least that mess all ended well.

I think they look cool too, we should probably get the wheel nuts anodized though.

Really nice job on the Citation. That car just looks fast.
    Ken

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by VehDyn View Post
    Really nice job on the Citation. That car just looks fast.
    It is fast. Luckily I got to see it in the paddock because it wasn't around me for very long after the pace lap.

I sat in it for a few minutes. Very impressive, clean, safe-feeling car. It reminded me a little of a soap box derby the way the driver is so cocooned in it.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thread Information