Thread: NAKED CARS

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default NAKED CARS

Anybody get any under-the-fiberglass shots of the Viking, ADF, Eagle or similar cars that marked an advancement in FF design? [This scrap book thing is going to break my race budget!] Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 71

may or may not help, but if you go to race-cars.com under FF section there is an ADF for sale and it is very naked. Lots and lots of pictures.

Liked: 0

Default Naked ADF

Here are some ADF naked pictures . I believe this car is in California .

Thanks. Great looking work on the ADF, too. I thought the front shocks were straight up on the ADF. Do you know if this was a later car, or were they all like this? Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 157

Jim,

I could be remembering wrong, but I am pretty sure that Peter told me at the 40th that his ADF was chassis #1.

Tom

PS: the video that you asked Bill for is on the way to you.

That is what I heard too. Unfortunately, every time I came by with my camera, the body was on the car, and I never got any under the skin shots. That was too bad. The car was so beautifully done.
    Can't wait to see the video on the big screen. Thanks again, Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

I saw car #1 at the runoffs in '73 and will never forget it. The front shocks were as pictured above except they were Konis and were mounted the other way around because of being air over oil. I remember remarking to Ray Caldwell that I was surprised they were not using the new Bilsteins which would have allowed mounting as pictured above, reducing unsprung weight.

DOC

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by frank harry View Post
    Here are some ADF naked pictures . I believe this car is in California .
    Just to keep the record straight, that car is not in California. It's in AZ. You could eat off it it's so clean. The owner is a class act too. (I may need to borrow his scales again soon....)
    Man will race anything. It's in his blood. His Soul. He must.

Kurtis C. Shirley MacLane FV (sold), Lola T644 (sold), Murray FK1 FST (sold), Vector MG-95FF (sold), PRS 82F (sold), Lola T340... AKA PRS82F

Tell him thanks for restoring the car so cleanly. it makes great pictures. Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 8

Wow - that's new to me - how many other cars have this CV-jointed front brake setup?

Was it that advantageous, after you factor in the weight, to get something out of the air?
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

I'd like to see the working parts of a Viking. I can't recall how it was set up, but I don't think it was the same. maybe somebody will post something that answers the question. Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Contributing Member trout roberts's Avatar

Swiftdrivr

I have a friend in the Seattle area who owns one of the Vikings that stayed in the Pacific Northwest. My recollection from helping him work on the car is that the suspension was rocker arm with inboard mounted shock/springs both front and rear. The brakes were all outboard. I could be wrong about the rear brakes but I don't think so. Pretty conventional stuff except for the superb packaging.
    Trout <º{{{><

Thanks for the feedback. Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 17

if you go to http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/ffs.htm there are a couple Vikings that have been sold in the past.

Liked: 33

Quote Originally Posted by trout roberts View Post
    Swiftdrivr

I have a friend in the Seattle area who owns one of the Vikings that stayed in the Pacific Northwest. My recollection from helping him work on the car is that the suspension was rocker arm with inboard mounted shock/springs both front and rear. The brakes were all outboard. I could be wrong about the rear brakes but I don't think so. Pretty conventional stuff except for the superb packaging.
    Hello Trout, Rick here,

Your recollection is correct about the Viking, he also has my old 85 Reynard FF which was all pushrod with a similar look to a Swift of the same era. How do you like Az? Hope to see you soon, I plan on running the Atlantic in Portland in a few weeks hope to see you there!

Contributing Member trout roberts's Avatar

Rick

It's been a long time!

I wish I were able to run in Portland but Lo and I are headed to Europe tomorrow for a long end of summer vacation. My youngest daughter and her family are stationed in Sicily so we decided that was a good enough incentive to make a trip over. We're going to stay long enough to take in the Formula Ford festival at Brands Hatch and then make a pilgrimage to the Crossle factory in Belfast. Don't know if I've got enough left in me to make it over again so we're going for all the gusto in one shot!
    Trout <º{{{><

Thread Information