Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 1417

Default Counterfeit HANS Anchor Posts

HANS FINDS COUNTERFEIT ANCHORS – LAUNCHES FREE REPLACEMENT PROGRAM

Atlanta, Georgia -- August 19, 2009 - HANS Performance Products has found counterfeit Post Anchor parts on a helmet purchased from Impact Racing Products.

Preliminary investigations suggest that counterfeit parts may have been supplied with other helmets provided by Impact. “We are seeking the source of the counterfeit anchors and to establish how widely they may have been distributed,” said HANS CEO Mark Stiles. He continued, “It is extremely possible that counterfeits may have been installed on other helmets, either factory-fitted by a helmet manufacturer or by racers installing replacement parts during equipment changes.”

The only counterfeit parts identified so far look like HANS’ current “Professional” Post Anchors, which are designed to offer robust durable service – these have a “teardrop” shaped head to the “post” and an aluminum base engraved with HANS, SFI and FIA markings. Other Post Anchor designs, such as the similar current “Standard” version, which have the same teardrop post but a simpler black plastic base, and older designs which had a round shaped head to the post, do not seem to have been counterfeited.

Stiles said, “If racers want to check their Professional Series Post Anchors, one quick test is to touch a magnet to the post. The posts used in all our designs since July 2005 are magnetic. The posts on the counterfeits we have seen are not magnetic.” He continued, “Our earlier designs used a non-magnetic material for the post, so a non-magnetic post is not necessarily a counterfeit, but it is a reason why a racer should contact us for more information.” The link below shows what to look for when testing the Post Anchor.

To ensure all racers have confidence in their safety equipment, HANS is implementing a program to replace any counterfeit Post Anchors free of charge. Details of the program, other information and program updates are available at www.hansdevice.com, or by calling HANS direct at 1-888-HANS-999, or contacting one of the 200 authorized North American HANS factory trained dealers nationwide.

Liked: 17

Holy crap
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Liked: 4

Didn't Impact also have issues with the fire retandancy of thier drivers suits as well?
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Yes, it was with some of their SFI 20/30 suits that the drag race guys use. A pretty disappointing reputation is being developed.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 27

Received an email from Bob Zecca @ Team DI about this earlier. As follows:

[SIZE=4]Dear Customers

I thought we should pass along the following information to you just released from Hans today.

This is the second major thing coming from Impact Racing regarding safety. The first issue was some of their suits did not have the proper SFI certification and now this on counterfeit parts. This guy has been in the business for over 30 years with a very well and trusted name by racers around the world. We do not carry the line nor will we ever. Personally I do not trust this company or their products.
    Regardless for your safety please see if you are affected by this. I applaud Hans for their quick response to this problem.
    Please read below:

[/SIZE][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]HANS FINDS COUNTERFEIT ANCHORS – LAUNCHES FREE REPLACEMENT PROGRAM

Atlanta, Georgia (August 19, 2009) - HANS Performance Products has found counterfeit Post Anchor parts on a helmet purchased from Impact Racing Products.

Preliminary investigations suggest that counterfeit parts may have been supplied with other helmets provided by Impact. “We are seeking the source of the counterfeit anchors and to establish how widely they may have been distributed,” said HANS CEO Mark Stiles. He continued, “It is extremely possible that counterfeits may have been installed on other helmets, either factory-fitted by a helmet manufacturer or by racers installing replacement parts during equipment changes.”

The only counterfeit parts identified so far look like HANS’ current “Professional” Post Anchors, which are designed to offer robust durable service – these have a “teardrop” shaped head to the “post” and an aluminum base engraved with HANS, SFI and FIA markings. Other Post Anchor designs, such as the similar current “Standard” version, which have the same teardrop post but a simpler black plastic base, and older designs which had a round shaped head to the post, do not seem to have been counterfeited.

Stiles said, “If racers want to check their Professional Series Post Anchors, one quick test is to touch a magnet to the post. The posts used in all our designs since July 2005 are magnetic. The posts on the counterfeits we have seen are not magnetic.” He continued, “Our earlier designs used a non-magnetic material for the post, so a non-magnetic post is not necessarily a counterfeit, but it is a reason why a racer should contact us for more information.” The link below shows what to look for when testing the Post Anchor.

http://nsvirtualurl.com/core/media/m...a6a725bbdbb4f2

To&_od=aHR0cHM6Ly9zeXN0ZW0ubmV0c3VpdGUuY29t ensure all racers have confidence in their safety equipment, HANS is implementing a program to replace any counterfeit Post Anchors free of charge. Details of the program, other information and program updates are available at hansdevice.com, or by calling HANS direct at 1-888-HANS-999, or contacting one of the 200 authorized North American HANS factory trained dealers nationwide.

The HANS Device is the #1 choice for performance, #1 for vision and #1 for winners.

Details and information about HANS Performance Products are available at www.hansdevice.com or by calling 1-888-HANS-999 or 770-457-1046.[/FONT][SIZE=4][FONT=Arial]

Sincerely,
    Robert Zecca
    www.teamdi.com
    [/FONT][/SIZE]

Liked: 157

This is crazy. Isn't Impact owned by Bill Simpson? How the hell would a guy with his reputation allow crap like this to happen?

Liked: 5

Ouch! I'll have to check my helmet when i get home. I bought my helmet a couple of years ago from the Impact Store in Mooresville, NC.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 25

Default Simpson

I recall (googling suggests 1995) that there was an immigration raid that found a large number of undocumented workers at a Simpson factory in Indiana. This was before Bill Simpson left the company. This suggested to me that he was sort of sloppy about some things and raised some concerns for me about whether the company also was sloppy about other issues which might be important to my safety. Maybe Richard remembers this incident. I can't find the details. I am far from being an anti-immigrant nativist.
    - Frank C

Edit: Reading Daryl's post, it may have been that the undocumented workers were at a Simpson supplier like DJ.
    Last edited by Frank C; 08.20.09 at 9:38 AM. Reason: Quickshoe's comments

Banned
    Liked: 1116

A thought.....What makes these "counterfeit"? Are they marked "HANS" ,"SFI" and "FIA"? Or are they just similar posts made of Titanium instead of steel? Or Stainless? Or ? The article infers they are substandard quality, which may not be the case at all.

Could be that HANS doesn't like other helmet manufacturers supplying their own posts so they issue a "recall" on all "counterfeit" posts which just so happen to have been found on a Brand I helmet and possibly others.

I used to be a Simpson dealer back in the early 90's. Until they opened their own competing stores, reduced our margins and took away volume discounts. I didn't like their business practices. However, most of their product line was good stuff. Don't know what was going on behind closed doors but Fred Crow (Ex-Simpson) started Crow Enterprises shortly after I got out of the business (not that my closure was a blip on their radar--just suggesting that perhaps there was turmoil behind the scenes which manifested itself in the way Simpson was doing business).

Simpson didn't manufacturer their own helmets for many many years (made by DJ manufacturing in Indy if I recall correctly). They didn't manufacturer most of their harness hardware. FWIW I don't know many harness manufacturers who make their own hardware or their own webbing. Don't know of a suit manufacturer that makes their own fabric either.

Wonder what Impact has to say about all this??
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 08.20.09 at 1:08 AM.

Liked: 0

Quickshoe, yes, the anchors in question do come with the HANS, SFI and FIA logos. However, we have not tested (the big one) or approved them, and they are not listed with SFI or FIA as being tested and approved. We don't know if anyone has tested them. We do not know who manufactured them or where. Although not required, we test all of our anchor systems to the same SFI specification. Would you want to use something that is an unknown entity?

Howard Bennett
    HANS Performance

It's all about liability—simple as that. There is no way HANS would support any item that they couldn't control from their end. If the posts snapped in an accident, and they weren't HANS parts (designed, tested, and accepted), they don't want their product's reputation to be damaged because of someone else's corner cutting.

CYA.

Liked: 1880

Hans is doing the only thing they can if they want to maintain the integrity of their product and protect themselves if a law suit is ever filed. While the counterfit anchors may indeed be safe, Hans does not have any certification data in their files, so if a lawsuit came up..............

The Simpson plant that was raided was about 1/2 mile from here.

Liked: 42

I have a feeling there is a lot more to this story that we aren't hearing about just yet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hbennett View Post
    Quickshoe, yes, the anchors in question do come with the HANS, SFI and FIA logos.
    Well, that I have a Problem with.

I have absolutely zero problem with any other company supplying mounting hardware that may or may not be approved by HANS as long as they aren't pretending it is.

Banned

Although not required, we test all of our anchor systems to the same SFI specification. Would you want to use something that is an unknown entity?
    How many samples of each anchor system does HANS test?
    How many are allowed to "fail"?
    What is the sampling rate for future production?

I believe that most of us put a lot more faith in the SFI specs and testing procedures than they deserve and are, in fact, using items of an unknown entity.

Liked: 1

Guys,

We can go back an forth on this. Bottom line is if you are affected by this please contact HANS and they will send you the approved and tested anchors. Please do not take any chances. I applaud Hans for their quick decision to correct the situation. It is ashame but things like this happen.

Sincerely
    Bob Zecca

Banned

Robert,

I'm not trying to go "back and forth" on anything. I'm trying to educate myself and if anybody else learns anything in the process, great.

I believe there are two distinct issues here. The counterfeit HANS posts, whether safer or substandard should be replaced because they aren't manufactured or endorsed by HANS eventhough they appear to be sold as such.

The other issue is the misleading statement about the real deal being "tested". If they make 5000 pairs and are only required to test 3, one of which is allowed to fail and random samples from future production are never required to be tested---that is a problem, no?

Liked: 1

Dear Daryl,

Honestly I do not know the details my concern is that customers are aware and hopefully not affected. You take care and stay well.

Sincerely,
    Bob

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Zecca View Post
    my concern is that customers are aware and hopefully not affected.
    Affected by what, exactly? I haven't seen anything yet that suggests the fake anchors are substandard, just not made by HANS. Two different things altogether.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 4

If I read this correctly, the parts have HANS, SFI and FIA logos them, when they are none of the above. That's like me putting a Benz Logo, on a Chevy and selling it as a Benz when it clearly is not.

If mfg is willing to make this type of misstatement, then I'd have concerns as to integrity the rest of the part that is less inspectiable to the consumer.

Even if the parts are up to snuff, due to fact they are misrepresented, I'd still not do business with a firm that has such a lack of ethics.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by racer27 View Post
    If I read this correctly, the parts have HANS, SFI and FIA logos them, when they are none of the above. That's like me putting a Benz Logo, on a Chevy and selling it as a Benz when it clearly is not.

If mfg is willing to make this type of misstatement, then I'd have concerns as to integrity the rest of the part that is less inspectiable to the consumer.

Even if the parts are up to snuff, due to fact they are misrepresented, I'd still not do business with a firm that has such a lack of ethics.
    But the question still remains. Who put the part into the system? Is Impact that stupid? HANS doesn't directly accuse Impact of making copies. Others have though. Also I've heard that Impact has sent out messages to their dealers saying that the above press release isn't true.

As I said. We are at best getting only part of the story and I for one would like to know all of it.

Liked: 952

Default Tensile, yield, elongation..?

In my humble uneducated mind, this is just like the counterfeit graded fasteners from overseas that are marked and passed off as grade 5 or grade 8.

In reality the fasteners imported did not meet the standards for tensile, yield or elongation.

Without the design basis and proper destructive testing of both anchors by a qualified lab, it would be hard to know if the counterfeit anchor posts are adequate.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Banned

Or putting a chevy logo on a Benz.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    But the question still remains. Who put the part into the system?
    AFAIK Impact doesn't even sell helmets with the anchor posts. They are only supplied with the threaded female receptacle.

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Without the design basis and proper destructive testing of both anchors by a qualified lab, it would be hard to know if the counterfeit anchor posts are adequate.
    Right, at this point we don't know how strong either the real deal or counterfeit things are. At least with the real deal we have HANS saying they meet SFI and FIA standards (whatever the SFI standards are).

For all we know somebody sent their Impact helmet to HANS, HANS folks saw some Ti or Stainless posts and thought "oh oh, we don't make them in anything but plain ol' steel. Where in the heck did these come from?"

Daryl, aren't you an ISAAC guy?

Are these unapproved posts from ISAAC?

Banned

Agreed, so who is it that we cross off our list?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Daryl, aren't you an ISAAC guy?
    Am I an employee of ISAAC? Nope.

Did I do all the homework I found necessary about my safety and decide that the ISAAC was the best choice at that time? Absolutely.

This isn't a HANS vs. ISAAC thread.

Are only HANS wearers, employees and/or retailers permitted to ask questions?

I have no idea the source of these unapproved posts, if you find out let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    Are only HANS wearers, employees and/or retailers permitted to ask questions?
    Nope, just wondering out loud.

Banned

Nope, just wondering out loud.
    For the record I support HANS stance on this issue. Not cool at all that anybody is copying their stuff and passing it off as HANS product. I understand why they want to get it off the market ASAP.

The fact that I chose to wear an ISAAC doesn't affect the facts of this situation, nor the answers to the unanswered questions. Surely somebody like Howard or Robert should know the answers to such questions about products they represent/sell.

My next head and neck restraint will likely have to have a FIA and/or SFI label. Should I try to educate myself or just toe the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    My next head and neck restraint will likely have to have a FIA and/or SFI label. Should I try to educate myself or just toe the line?
    Appropriate concerns, but not germane to this product announcement post or topic at all. HANS is merely looking out for their own (and their customer's) best interests.

Banned

Although not required, we test all of our anchor systems to the same SFI specification. Would you want to use something that is an unknown entity?

Howard Bennett
    HANS Performance
    Doug you have a PM.

Liked: 0

There is a patent that HANS hold on this item, so that would be the reason no other company would be able to manufacture the anchor, unless they have a license to do so from HANS.

Liked: 146

Just check out some drag racer forums and learn about the Impact drag suit debacle. People took delivery of what seemed like shockingly light and thin suits. They called Impact and were told about wonderous new materials blah blah blah. Some sent them to SFI and they were tested and they failed the -15 and -20 tests miserably. One racer had a relatively "minor" fire (at least for these hammerheads) and his Impact suit deteriorated so badly only luck kept him uninjured. Now this helmet fiasco. This is a shocking series of events for a guy hailed as a motorsports hero. I was firmly in his corner when NASCAR tried to destroy him over the Earnhart seat belt flap, and I would've been head to toe in his stuff if it only met my standards for comfort, style and value, but it didn't. Not close.

Dale V.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Quote Originally Posted by dalz View Post
    Just check out some drag racer forums and learn about the Impact drag suit debacle. People took delivery of what seemed like shockingly light and thin suits. They called Impact and were told about wonderous new materials blah blah blah. Some sent them to SFI and they were tested and they failed the -15 and -20 tests miserably. One racer had a relatively "minor" fire (at least for these hammerheads) and his Impact suit deteriorated so badly only luck kept him uninjured. Now this helmet fiasco. This is a shocking series of events for a guy hailed as a motorsports hero. I was firmly in his corner when NASCAR tried to destroy him over the Earnhart seat belt flap, and I would've been head to toe in his stuff if it only met my standards for comfort, style and value, but it didn't. Not close.

Dale V.

The info about the drag suits is interesting as Impact has a statement on their website saying that all the suits that have been returned for the recall met the SFI standard.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dalz View Post

Dale V.

Dale, you know everything you read on internet forums, manufacturer websites and press releases are true, right?

I wonder what the complete story is and if it will ever come out regarding the anchor posts ?

Liked: 9

Default Hans Counterfeit Anchors Website

Click here to view the link on how to determine if you have genuine HANS anchors & the HANS Counterfeit Program:

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...s%20device.asp

Link is at the top of the page.
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Default Newest HANS Press Release

COUNTERFEIT HANS POST ANCHORS – TRACKSIDE UPDATE

Atlanta, Georgia - August 21, 2009: HANS Performance Products has been trackside the past few days investigating the counterfeit HANS Post Anchor problem reported earlier.

COO Gary Milgrom has been focused on circle track racing, while Sales Director Howard Bennett has been at the drag strip.

"I must have seen about 150 helmets and exchanged over 50 sets of counterfeit anchors," said Milgrom. He continued, "On the whole, I’ve not had to touch any Simpson, Bell, Arai or Stand21 helmets—they’ve already been fitted with genuine HANS Post Anchors."

Simpson, Bell, Arai and Stand21 have had substantial long-standing relationships with HANS Performance Products. They are among the 200 authorized dealers throughout North America that receive direct factory support.

Bennett said, "We've had a lot of support and thanks from crew chiefs, teams and racers for putting safety first. To ensure all racers have confidence in their safety equipment, we’re continuing our program to replace any counterfeit Post Anchors free of charge."

Details and updates are available at www.hansdevice.com, or by calling HANS direct at 1-888-HANS-999, or contacting any of the company’s dealers.

Banned

I must have seen about 150 helmets and exchanged over 50 sets of counterfeit anchors," said Milgrom. He continued, "On the whole, I’ve not had to touch any Simpson, Bell, Arai or Stand21 helmets—they’ve already been fitted with genuine HANS Post Anchors."
    Hmmm? Somewhere around a 1/3 of them are counterfeit, yet none of them found on arguably the most common brands of helmet??? Seems like they should have a pretty good idea of the source....unless

Contributing Member

I still haven't seen ANY documented information about this being a safety issue, so until then, this is a patent infringement issue, which is not to say that means HANS has any less reason to be upset about it and publicize the issue.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 146

Not to mention criminal fraud, if they carried FIA/SFI certified markings and were no such thing.

Dale V.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 24

THIS is just plain sad and scary...

Going to get mine out now.

COUNTERFEIT HANS POST ANCHORS – TRACKSIDE UPDATE

Atlanta, Georgia - August 21, 2009: HANS Performance Products has been trackside the past few days investigating the counterfeit HANS Post Anchor problem reported earlier.

COO Gary Milgrom has been focused on circle track racing, while Sales Director Howard Bennett has been at the drag strip.

"I must have seen about 150 helmets and exchanged over 50 sets of counterfeit anchors," said Milgrom. He continued, "On the whole, I’ve not had to touch any Simpson, Bell, Arai or Stand21 helmets—they’ve already been fitted with genuine HANS Post Anchors."

Simpson, Bell, Arai and Stand21 have had substantial long-standing relationships with HANS Performance Products. They are among the 200 authorized dealers throughout North America that receive direct factory support.

Bennett said, "We've had a lot of support and thanks from crew chiefs, teams and racers for putting safety first. To ensure all racers have confidence in their safety equipment, we’re continuing our program to replace any counterfeit Post Anchors free of charge."

Details and updates are available at www.hansdevice.com, or by calling HANS direct at 1-888-HANS-999, or contacting any of the company’s dealers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information