Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

For Sale 1979 PRS RH-01 FOR SALE

This car got a frame up rebuild just before the 40th at Rd America where it finished 2nd in the Vintage race and ran mid pack (110 cars) in the Regional.
    -Aluminum bellypan (freshly glued with Hysol)
    -Hydraulics all rebuilt
    -New Bodywork (old pieces available as spares)
    -All rod ends replaced with new Aurora Rod Ends
    -Rear uprights reconditioned 2009 by Protech with new bearings
    -CV Shafts rebuilt 2009 with new joints and boots
    -New Jones mechanical tach and cable
    -New battery, switches, wiring, etc.
    -711M engine with cast head (alum available), original crank (std./std.), Bosch dist, 7"
    Tilton Clutch
    -Gearbox rebuilt 2009, 9:31 R&P (cryo treated & rem coated), shifts like butter
    -Frame stripped and painted (grey)
    -FIA rated fuel cell (mfg 2002)
    -New Penske Shocks; 7400 series single adjustable
    -Radiator reconditioned, with all new hoses
    -Spares include some a-arms, track rods, Uprights (2 rear, 1 ft), calipers, front and rear
    replacement bulkheads, driveshaft, spare bodywork, Mold for ft nose, mounted set
    of rain tires, spare frame (fairly rusted, needs a lot of work), brake rotors

Great starter car in FF, very competitive Club Ford. Asking $11,000 for package, will sell car alone or with partial spares. Will e-mail more pix on request. Car can be seen on Long Island, NY.
    Contact Mike Scanlan
    516-353-5767 - Cell w/voice
    partstop80@aol.com

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

I have raced against this car in the past and I saw it at the 40th. $11,000 is a steal on this car!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 157

I'll second what Agnif said. We pitted with Mike Scanlan and this car at the 40th, and have raced against Mike for many seasons. He is meticulous in the preparation of his cars and this one is no exception. You will not be dissappointed with this car.

Tom

Liked: 0

Mike is anal retentive in his car prep!!

Liked: 13

Post PRS

It looks like you put a Crossle nose on the car & moved the radiator up front from the orginal position back by the engine on the side.

The Crossle & PRS has almost identical suspension, but why the wider nose ?

Why did you do that, is there a particular advantage ?

What else did you change from the stock configuration ?

Just curious.

m.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

ditto on that nose and rad placement...is this the old davey jones car?

Default PRS

Thanks guys. This car belonged to Bill Slowik, here in the NE, and he had done the conversion to the front rad and wide nose. I'm not sure why, but it seems to work very well. As for previous owners, there are several names in the log books that I can't decipher. I do recall that the car ran the 1980 season out on the West coast. I should show the books to someone who ran back then and figure out who ran the car.

Liked: 4

Default Bill Slowick's Former PRS

I don't known Mike but if this is Bill Slowicks old car, it would of been meticously kept by Bill (RIP). You could not even lean on this car without Bill frowning. Bill ran Hi-Tech Engineering and did alot of the work on many cars in the area, including mine.

I've raced against this car, when Bill drove it. It alwasy ran uop front, was reliable and well turned out.

When I got rid of my VD, I was very intrested in buying this car, but it was not for sale. I think car is very well priced.

I am sure new owner will be very happy.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Bump

Default PRS

Bump

Liked: 1417

A few pics of Mikes beautiful PRS...

Liked: 4

I can't beleive this car is still on the market...
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Liked: 273

Default This may be my old car

What is the chassis number?

If this car was on the West Coast in the early 80's it's more than likely my old car. It was common back in 1981-84 to convert the nose and move the radiator up front. Automotive Developments sold the noses and rads. for these back then.

I won several Nationals and So Pacific Div. titles in a car just like this. Best non Swift FF I ever owned.

SIDE NOTE: someoe just emailed me and asked if Auto. Development was still around...nope long gone....however contact Joe Stimola if you're looking for a front rad. nose...as I recall he imported these cars he might know where the molds ended up.

Gary Hickman
    Last edited by ghickman; 11.05.09 at 11:42 AM.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Default PRS Chassis #

The # stamped into this frame is 19-1932. I can't read any of the sgnatures in the logbook and some race entries had no signature, but the car ran from 11/1980 thru 9/1982 out west at the following tracks:Willow Springs, Riverside, Holtsville, Laguna Seca, Sears Pt. and PIR, with Holtsville being the most popular entry.

Default great car

If there's several Holtville entries that would be my old car. I held the track record there in that car and later in a Swift.

I have a picture of this car in my office from Holtville in the early 80's. The car was yellow then and appears to still be yellow.

Gary Hickman
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 31

As I understand it the "19" of the frame number refers to the region it was first registered in. Anyone know what region "19" is? This would at least tell you where it started out.

I have a similar PRS which I ran for 19 seasons in San Francisco region Spec/Club Ford, now hanging on the wall of my garage as I couldn't bear to part with it three years ago even though I had bought a 98 Van Diemen to run in FF. I had changed the car quite a bit, including the grafting on of the Crossle radiator support, radiator, and nose as well as widening the front track (eliminating those silly curved upper A-arms), adding Penske doubles, moving the battery, increasing steering quickness, altering Ackerman, adding frame bracing, installing a taller rollover bar and additional braces, adding a left foot brake pedal, even a Crossle tail with large appendage.

The nose/radiator change was from a sometimes seen intermediate change (from the original twin side radiators) to a Tiga-like square inlet radiator with a highly optomistic tiny little radiator that exited out the top of the nose. First race at Thunderhill (Central California) in August heat put paid to that!

The PRS is easily the equal of any Crossle if properly developed. The last race (a double regional) we had together (before I defected to FF) it took both poles, both races, both fastest laps, both lap records (Q and R) and a championship. What a way to end a career and a great partnership.

Great car.

This one looks like a great deal.

Tom Duncan

Liked: 47

Default Cal Club

Region 19 is Cal Club (Los Angeles Area).

Default PRS History

Slight thread hijack but back in the early 80's there was a soon to be famous Super V driver / Champ car that won many races in a PRS.....that would be Scott Atchison. Maybe some of you remember him.

It's also entirely possible that if this isn't my old car it could be Scott's. We both did battle at Sears, Riverside, Holtville, etc.

Gary Hickman
    FB #76
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Default more PRS history

would that have been the Scott Atchison of OTTER POPS fame?

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    would that have been the Scott Atchison of OTTER POPS fame?
    Yep, as I recall Scott also won the Runoffs in a Swift around mid 80's
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Post Other Drivers who drove PRS - FF's way back then

Gary & Tom,

You guys are the only ones who might remember better than I do for FF back in the later 1970's & early to mid 1980's.

I am trying to remember, I think there were another two other PRS's running back then. Memory is hazy.

I think I remember One. it was the kid who's dad owned the ford dealer over in Modesto. I don't remember his name.

Also didn't Geoff or Jeff Provo run one too back then ?

Do you guys remember who these guys were ?

Mike Alfred
    Blue Crossle' - FF # 24 - back in the day !

Default back east back then

i do know that Davey Jones of Super Vee, IMSA GTP, and INDY had his debut at a SCCA drivers school at Watkins Glen in a light blue (?) PRS that spent a lot of time in spectacular spins and smoke...a rocket ship!

i was crewing on fellow APEXSPEEDER Dan Pyanowski's Macon (late seventies, early eighties) at the time

[SIDE NOTE: someoe just emailed me and asked if Auto. Development was still around...nope long gone....however contact Joe Stimola if you're looking for a front rad. nose...as I recall he imported these cars he might know where the molds ended up.

Gary Hickman[/quote]

Joe's shop is a mile from mine, but he's long out of the PRS game. As for the Front Rad Nose Mold, I have one that will go with the car.

Liked: 25

If you will find me a job, I'll buy your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Malfred View Post
    Gary & Tom,

You guys are the only ones who might remember better than I do for FF back in the later 1970's & early to mid 1980's.

I am trying to remember, I think there were another two other PRS's running back then. Memory is hazy.

I think I remember One. it was the kid who's dad owned the ford dealer over in Modesto. I don't remember his name.

Also didn't Geoff or Jeff Provo run one too back then ?

Do you guys remember who these guys were ?

Mike Alfred
    Blue Crossle' - FF # 24 - back in the day !
    It was Knapp Ford in Manteca, I think his name was Dave, I raced against him in 79 and 80 if I remember correctly, durung the Lowbenberg era.

Post Raced a PRS back in the day

Yea, That's the guy !

Dave Knapp of of Manteca, Ca. - He ran a PRS for a while. As soon as I read the name I knew it was correct.

I'm glad some one out there has a better memory for the details than my old nogen has these days.

So Dave Knapp drove one & I also think Jeff Provo I believe also drove one out of the San Francisco region of the SCCA again around 1980 give or take a couple years.

And your right it was Bob Lowbenburg in an ADF & a highly areo modified Crossle 32 owned by Brom Clegg & driven by Glen Byron that were amoung the front runners back then.

Bob was at the 40th FF reunion race ar RA & started last & still finished 11-th I think, he is still a great driver, but never made it into the pro ranks. He did some interesting drives here & there but never went far like Jimmy Vasser did after FF.

FF fields back then were always the 63 car max at SPIR back in those days.

The good old days. I remember them as some fun racing then. We were all nieve & all thought we could move up to an indy-lights or atlantic team some day.

M.

Default Lowbenberg

he did reach the pro ranks as a Huffaker driver for Pontiac i believe but had some problems with Willy T. Ribbs (Ford Mustang?) that somehow ended that association

Liked: 63

Boy, this is taxing the ol memory. As I remember it Sterling Racing service with Dave Wilson and Ken Castinego imported PRS in the late seventies, early eighties. As I recall a National champ Karter by the name of Jerril Rice drove the first one i remember seeing in the SF region. Man I feel old..

Quote Originally Posted by SV@RHC View Post
    Boy, this is taxing the ol memory. As I remember it Sterling Racing service with Dave Wilson and Ken Castinego imported PRS in the late seventies, early eighties. As I recall a National champ Karter by the name of Jerril Rice drove the first one i remember seeing in the SF region. Man I feel old..
    Yours and mine, I bought my first car from Sterling, 32F, they tried to talk me into a PRS which they had not delivered at the time, but I was set on a 32F, Ken kept building motors out of a shop in Jackson Ca. but died of a heart attack several years ago. I remember Jerril now that you mentioned his name, and the car. While we're on the subject, what happened to Tom Rust?
    Last edited by might return; 11.22.09 at 6:47 PM.

Liked: 63

I took over the Tiga dealership for a couple years between Steve Farnsworth of Proformula and Zephyr racing. I used to see Tom Rust weekly, The last I saw Tom he was based out of Sears point when Skip Berg had the place. I have lost track of most everyone I used to race with. I did have the opportunity to buy Bob lobenbergs ADF. I still kick myself for not buying it.

Post old racing memories

As My race team expanded back in the mid 1980 & early 1990's, we contracted with Ken at Sterling to supply all our race engines. couple years After he died I closed up shop & sold off everything. After another 2 years of racing while dealing with other engine people, no one lived up to what Ken did for us. He & I were quite close, I ended up buying out what was left of the business from his x-wife & his estate. (BTW - She broke his heart). Ken was an important part of our team back then. I still miss him.

I remember Jerril Rice, Yea, he ran a PRS as well, but I never saw him move up into the pro ranks.

I saw David Wilson a few year back. I think he was a Ferrari tech or some such thing.

I would have liked to see Bob Lowbenburg In an Indy car, to bad he ran into roadblocks & did not make it far.

I have just recently a couple years ago gotten back in to racing - but on a very small scale with just 1 car & only run a couple races a year. I missed it.

m.

Quote Originally Posted by Malfred View Post
    As My race team expanded back in the mid 1980 & early 1990's, we contracted with Ken at Sterling to supply all our race engines. couple years After he died I closed up shop & sold off everything. After another 2 years of racing while dealing with other engine people, no one lived up to what Ken did for us. He & I were quite close, I ended up buying out what was left of the business from his x-wife & his estate. (BTW - She broke his heart). Ken was an important part of our team back then. I still miss him.

I remember Jerril Rice, Yea, he ran a PRS as well, but I never saw him move up into the pro ranks.

I saw David Wilson a few year back. I think he was a Ferrari tech or some such thing.

I would have liked to see Bob Lowbenburg In an Indy car, to bad he ran into roadblocks & did not make it far.

I have just recently a couple years ago gotten back in to racing - but on a very small scale with just 1 car & only run a couple races a year. I missed it.

m.
    Do any of you guys remember Dallas Anderson, he drove an old Winkelman and beat up on the spec Ford guys pretty bad, he just spent a couple of weeks visititing me here in Whitethorn, I talked him into helping me get back into racing.
    Last edited by might return; 11.23.09 at 11:58 AM.

Default remembered

I remembered Dallas.

His car was old, but his engines were always very strong & he was agressive.

I think he worked for Bondurant as a driver instructor for a while.

I ran with him some, he was a good shoe.

Say hi form me to him, if he remembers me at all.

Mike

Liked: 17

Default OT

That Bpb Lobenberg was a very fast driver was proven to me at the first Cal Club 3-hour enduro at Riverside in the late '70s. I was helping out Bill Fickling of P1 Racing, who was running a Tiga S2 in that event for himself, Lobenberg and, I believe, Paul Lewis, We had a mechanical glitch in qualifying and started 87th! It was a modified LeMans start and we were gridded all the way back around to the entrance to T9. As I was counting cars past the pits at the end of Lap 1, I was flabbergasted when Bob went by. Not believing what I had just seen, I checked our lap chart. He was 22nd OA. He'd passed 65 cars in one lap! We won race, needless to say. I always felt Bob was extremely talented and should have gone a lot further than he did.
    GaryJ

Default slight thread hijack

Wow...Bill Fickling and Paul Lewis. Two names I haven't heard in many years. Glad to see there are others out there that remember these guys. Fickling without a doubt was the most under rated driver I ever knew.

Loved the 70 plus FF fields at Riverside. I was deeply saddened when we ran the last FF National there back in July of 89...all good things must come to an end.

Someone please buy this PRS before this thread gets out of hand.

Gary Hickman
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 492

Gary, Bill Fickling is running a F-2 March in Vintage. Out qualified, and out raced the CanAm cars at Road America this year!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Liked: 17

Gary

Those RIR FF fields were incredible. I remember starting at the back (mechanical in qualifying) of a regional on the long course. I wasn't quite to the entrance of T9 when the front row got the green!

Roland

Bill's car is fantastic. I helped him at the Willow HSR race last spring and have worked with him in trying verify that his March is the car Brambilla used to win the FA event at Trois Rivieres in 1975.
    GaryJ

Default he can still get it done

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    Gary, Bill Fickling is running a F-2 March in Vintage. Out qualified, and out raced the CanAm cars at Road America this year!
    Hey Roland
    Ok my final thread hijack...Nice to see Fickling can still get it done. I'm one of his biggest fans. Got my start in Atlantics in early 80's with Bill's help (and used March parts supply after a few crashes).

Another plea for someone to buy this PRS...too good to pass up.

Gary Hickman
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 25

I said that I would buy this car if someone could find me a job . . . but nobody has stepped up to the plate, yet.

Post job

I need some one to sand & paint my boat - there you have an offical job offer in Calif.

m.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information