Thread: Historics

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Default Historics

Who's going to Moterey this weekend?

Liked: 942

I plan to be there as a spectator with my #1 son. Me in my old Elan, son in his new Caterham 7.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 490

We're in garage 19 with Norm Cowdrey's McKee CanAm car.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

I missed your post Roland and saw you briefly walk by in the crowd. Also saw Dan Martinez, Lainie Sechrest, and a host of other VARA-wearing folks.

Celebs and drivers sighted: Dario Franchitti (just hanging out by the bridge on Friday); Leno, Seinfeld (with his newly restored 908-3); Preston Henn, John Morton, Bruce Levin, Derek Bell and Brian Redman (Brian drifting thru T5 in a 908-3 and keeping Canepa's 917 at bay).

Never seen so many 917s and 962s in one place before.

I got a couple hundred pics, will have to post a few.

Contributing Member Bill Kincaid's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Rick, please do post some pictures! Like an idiot I forgot my camera when I went Sunday. There really were some incredible machines. Personal favorites (well, maybe after the 917s and 512s): the Can Am cars. More outrageous race cars have never turned a wheel.

Liked: 42

Next year I'll be there and it should be one of the best in a long while. New management should get a large number of cars out of the woodwork.

Liked: 0

You see the recent article that SCRAMP will take over the 2010 historic race from the current founder and organizer Steve Earle? Apparently Steve will assist and allow them to use the name for 2010 and then will move the event to Sonoma for 2011 in the June time frame. Hmmmm.

Here is the release:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...mes-2010-date/
    Ken

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by VehDyn View Post
    You see the recent article that SCRAMP will take over the 2010 historic race from the current founder and organizer Steve Earle? Apparently Steve will assist and allow them to use the name for 2010 and then will move the event to Sonoma for 2011 in the June time frame. Hmmmm.

Here is the release:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...mes-2010-date/

The June event that they speak of is the already running Wine Country Classic which I belive is the only event left that Earle will run. Lime Rock Vintage was taken away from him as well has Coronado Speed.

I bet that we will see a LOT more cars than we normally do at the 2010 historics in Monterey.

Steve Earle put on a great event for spectators but I can't think of a single person who has had many good things to say about the iron fist with which he ruled his events. I can think of a large number of people who vowed never to run a Steve Earle event again due to issues they've had with him.

Couldn't agree more! A friend of mine owned a 911 that was one of the first in the country - 901+two digit serno. Never licensed for the street, and Earle wouldn't let him run it. Now that it's owned by a big collector it's welcome.

On the other hand, it's not like the SCRAMP folks are real shining stars either. A lot of those overly officious types. The folks taking tickets were nice, but some of those pit bike and whistle wielding basterds I had no use for.

But, there's really not room for a lot more cars, unless you make the the guys with the big transporters race all the cars they bring. Some trucks had 6 or more cars under the awning, but only a few turned a wheel.

There's a reason formula cars aren't invited I think. Brian Redman was turning 1:31s in the 908, and he wasn't leaving a lot on the table judging by his drift thru T4. A decent FC runs that at Laguna - I think 1:28-ish is the FC record.
    Last edited by Rick Kirchner; 08.18.09 at 3:33 PM.

Liked: 490

The Historics have not been very competitor friendly in my opinion. We got there on Wed noontime to get our garage. Thursday was tec. We were lucky, CanAm cars got roving tec in the paddock, but no one could tell when an inspector would show. Almost everyone else had to drive their cars out to tec. We had nothing else on Thursday. Friday we had one 25 minute qualifying session (no times are posted, only Steve gets to see the times and he sets the grid). Saturday we had nothing, but went to the track to show the car. Sunday we had a 20 minute warm up, and a 10 lap race. You were not allowed to bring your tow rig into the paddock until after 5 PM to load up. There was a great (driver + one crew) breakfast/lunch/viewing area, with free food and drinks. I think the entry was around $500,if you were accepted.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

I've posted some pics in he gallery section. I'll add more tonight.

Thread Information