Liked: 3787

Looking over the notes covering the past 8 years of this "new" car, I notice that just about every year the then current owner put a new starter in the car. Considering I have two street cars over ten years old that have their original starters, this seems excessive for a device that probably is used less than 100 times per year in a race car, especially one with only 4 cylinders and relatively low compression.

Is there a correct solution?

Liked: 0

Froggy, I don't know right off hand what starter I have in mine, but will check. This is my third year of this and still have the same starter. Looking through my logs, the guy that had it before me had three years on this starter also.

But you always push start your car. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I am also interested in this. The person from whom I purchased my 88 had replaced the starter when he first got the car. He only used the car in two school weekends and three race weekends before garaging it for a year before selling it.

I noticed that this starter is very "noisy" when engaging, however, the person I bought the car from said he believes that is "normal". I thought perhaps this starter needed to be replaced. It doesn't seem to have any problems turning the motor over, but man, it sounds like its in a jar of marbles!

Frog, your tough on Montfort

Peace
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Liked: 10

GR:
    Sounds like you might have the wrong ring gear on the flywheel. We bought a flywheel that had to have the ring gear replaced because it had the wrong number of teeth. Pull the starter from the engine and test it to see if the noise goes away. If it does, mark a tooth on the ring gear, remove the spark plugs, and rotate the crankshaft while someone counts your teeth. I have the correct number of teeth info at home or you can call Steve Knapp at Elite and he can tell you what is correct.
    Dale Carter
    2003 VanDiemen FE #29
    Life is Good

Keith Averill just gave me the low down.

If you have a 110 tooth flywheel ring, you need a 9 tooth starter gear.

135 tooth starter ring needs 10 tooth starter gear. Some car came from UK with 135 tooth rings.

Alignment of the starter is very critical. When it kicks out that long shaft to engage, if the starter is not aligned properly the shaft will bind on the bushing that is in the bellhousing. The starter can be moved around on it's mounts. Loosen them and move the starter around...while holding the shaft out (in it's engaged position). Tighten it up when you get the alignment correct.

One of the single biggest problems is the shaft binding on the bushing when it is engaged. It really puts a load on the starter.

Some of these long shafts have been retro fitted with universal joints to compensate for mis-alignment. Keith says if you are good at getting the alignment correct, the universal joint is not needed.

Thanks guys I'll check this out.

Peace
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

I never start the engine, I just motor around on the starter. The push starting comes from my bobsledding experience. Takes me a couple laps to get the belts on.

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: montfort ]

keith of STUFF inc.,is the only guy i would
    recommend for reynard info/parts.his integrity is second to none.been dealing w/him since 1988.BTW,i had starter problems
    in the beginning.1st three years till i had my favorite auto electric shop rewind them to
    enhance performance (hvy duty).since then 2nd one is still on trailer shelf.they sound a lil winey.alignment is critical.shaft should pull out by hand and slide easily to flywheel.
    butchcfc01

Thread Information