Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 3

Me personally I like the smell of the stuff. Especially when the kart guys ran it with pre-mix..............smells great, but I am an odd duck like that!?!? Can I afford to run the stuff? No probably not!

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by thunderracing91 View Post
    Me personally I like the smell of the stuff. Especially when the kart guys ran it with pre-mix..............smells great, but I am an odd duck like that!?!? Can I afford to run the stuff? No probably not!
    We have rules to tell us what we can and cannot do. If the rules allow this fuel, and if it's better than "petrol," no kidding, some people will be able to afford it and want to win badly enough, to use it. As they should.

If FF racers don't want to shell out 70 bucks a gallon to have a shot at winning, then the recourse is not gentlemen's agreements but a rule change.

Of course, if the rule changes, this thunderracing dude, from somwhere in Iowa, will just have to enjoy the aroma in other places and at other times.

Default Indignance is where you find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen_W View Post
    If FF racers don't want to shell out 70 bucks a gallon to have a shot at winning, then the recourse is not gentlemen's agreements but a rule change. .
    I know the number quoted above was just used to make a point, but I thought it would be nice for everyone to know the gas the Porter cars ran at the Festival cost $19/gal, not $50 or $70 or....

It seems when the moral indignance crowd wants to really raise the amplitude of the outrage, the things that get quoted can really get blown out of proportion.

Living in San Francisco I get a gut full of Moral Indignance every single day. I guess if I drove a Prius with a "Yes We Can" bumper sticker and not my Yukon with its NRA sticker it might be better...

Sorry about the 70 bucks reference, but that's one of the figures people were repeating in the paddock at the 40th (the other was 60 bucks). I don't have a clue -- not how much it costs, is it really carcinogenic, does it eat fuel cells, whether it shortens engine life, blah blah blah, and other stuff said in the paddock.

What I was trying to say was that if C44 isn't against the rules, then there is no way it can (or should) be stopped. People who can run up front, and have a chance to win these races, will (and should) look for every legal advantage they can find. If FF drivers don't want to have C44 in their races, the rule needs to change. Plain and simple.

No moral indignation here--although I did sell my Suburban last year . . . for a newer model SUV. Crap move, I liked the old Suburban better.

Liked: 11

... so let me get this straight...only Republicans can use C44? This is really getting complicated.

Default Well, it isn't very green you know...

Quote Originally Posted by EffOne View Post
    ... so let me get this straight...only Republicans can use C44? This is really getting complicated.
    No, no, not this year. Only in 2010 and beyond.

I heard our illustrious Congress was using it in their limo's!

Default Gulfstream 5's are waaay green.

Quote Originally Posted by crossle27 View Post
    I heard our illustrious Congress was using it in their limo's!
    To go along with their new fleet of G5's.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

I wonder if it would be possible for eveyone to drain their tank just before the race and then fill it with track gas (amount at least 4 gal or whatever you need for RA) and then seal the tank - no testing needed. I suppose someone could still try to find away around the system, but I can't see a better way - anyone?

ChrisZ

Sounds as though SCCA is outlawing the toxic stuff soon, so at the next reunion it 'shouldn't' be an issue.
    Out here in the NW we run an organization called the 'International Conference of sports car clubs', or Conference for short. Each licensed driver (approx. 500 of us), gets a vote, and our contest board meets at the banquet every November and votes on all proposed rule changes. BTW, that is the only time during the year that any rules are allowed to change, which makes winter planning much easier.
    A few years ago we voted to run 100 AV gas only in CF, and for awhile our stewards did spot checks to police that change, but with everyone complying these days it's no longer necessary. I wouldn't run the stuff even if I could afford it because I'm told it is tough on fuel cells and engines, and the added cost just seems ridiculous to win a small trophy. But there are still a few who would if they could get away with it...

Default Cheating.

Last edited by Bill Steele; 08.10.09 at 8:55 AM. Reason: Hijack deleted

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
    In both FF and CF, for a few years now, we have a local rule to use track gas (Sunoco 110 at the tracks we run); but nobody complains or even asks if someone is pouring the Blue stuff out of their bottles. We have had zero incidence of anyone breaking the local rule and using anything other than 110 leaded or 100LL Avgas.
    I'm confused??? You say your local rule says "track gas (Sunoco 110 at the tracks we run)" then you say you have people using 100LL Avgas? So is the local rule track gas OR Avgas?

Default Easily confused?

Last edited by Bill Steele; 08.10.09 at 8:54 AM. Reason: Hijack deleted.

Liked: 79

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Ellingson View Post
    The answer is yes to both. I am certain that the prize money we get justifies the cost though...
    Would Joe Tovo not stretch that far????!!!!!!
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Bill sent PM.

Getting way too far off topic.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 08.10.09 at 2:36 AM.

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by WRD View Post
    Would Joe Tovo not stretch that far????!!!!!!
    Ya know...he probably would have...decided to use track fuel so I had an excuse as to why I was slower than everyone else.
    Currently Without Car

Quote Originally Posted by Joefisherff View Post
    In every Porter car including his that overheated....
    I can assure you that nothing but track gas was used in the Porter number 21 car. The car went from 21st on the start to 15th on the first lap, 15th to 12th on the second lap. Had the car car held together, who knows what the out come would have been? On PUMP GAS!

Default My bad

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    Bill sent PM.

Getting way too far off topic.
    You're right Daryl, my bad.

Sorry fellas for the hijack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information