Thread: Signals

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 907

Default Signals

Or, But I thought you meant ...

(Part 4 of a series, 'You and the GCR')

There are very limited means of signalling to/between drivers. It is therefore important to remember what signals are prescribed by the GCR, and to not confuse matters. Let's review GCR-mandated signals.

Official to Driver Signals

1. Flags

Flags are the only means that officials have to communicate with drivers on track. The flag meanings are set out in GCR 6.11. Please note the injunction, "They shall be obeyed immediately and without question."

Please note also GCR 5.5.4.B: "The yellow flag shall be displayed when a corner worker or other personnel move to a less protected or unprotected area." Whenever you see a yellow flag (standing or waving), proceed on the assumption that one or more workers are in an unprotected location.

If signals lights are used as a supplement to flags, the event supps will describe their usage [6.11.3].

2. GCR-Mandated Signals

On the grid, you will receive signals at the 5-minute and 1-minute marks. At 1 minute, crews must clear the grid and cars not in position start from the back [6.1.2.F].

If the field is not properly formed, the Starter will wave off the start by "... by making no flag movements whatsoever, and at the same time shake his or her head in a negative manner, to indicate that a start shall not take place. This will inform the drivers to proceed on another pace lap. Drivers will raise one hand to indicate that the start is aborted." [6.2.2.H].

3. Common Practice
    Flaggers may indicate by hand signals that drivers should traverse an incident scene on one side of the road or the other. This will always be done in combination with the appropriate flags, which are the official signals.

Also, if you go off-course, flaggers will, if possible, give you hand signals to help you safely re-enter the course. This is not mandated by the GCR, and these signals do not absolve you of your responsibility to drive safely.

Driver to Driver Signals

1. Mandated Hand Signals (GCR 6.8.2)

"A. Before entering the pits from the course, the driver should signal by raising an arm.
    B. An overtaken driver shall point to the side on which an overtaking driver should pass.
    C. The driver of a stalled car shall raise both arms to indicate that he or she shall not move until the course is clear."

2. Full Course Yellow (GCR 6.3.2)

"Drivers of cars that are disabled or cannot keep the pace should not hold up the field. These drivers shall signal that their vehicle is disabled by raising an arm, pulling to the side of the course, and staying well off the racing line. Other drivers may safely pass the signaling vehicle."

And that's it.

Unfortunately, we do see other signals which confuse more than they help.

1. Flaggers showing a waving yellow for an incident off-track.

This is a well-meant gesture, usually done for an incident close to the track or a more serious incident. It is bad practice because it dilutes the proper message, "Waving on the paving; standing on the grass", and induces drivers to start discounting the waving yellow.

I don't buy the argument that the waving yellow (or any flag) is to 'protect' the workers. A flag doesn't protect anyone; it informs.

The emergency workers and flaggers are protected when we - the drivers - first, see the flag; and, second, obey it. The onus is on the driver to see and obey. A driver causing a second incident in a yellow flag zone can expect no mercy from the SOM.

2. Drivers who start waving their arms in crisis situations.

Forgive me, but that is what they do. I have witness statements and videos. Typically, this happens under a yellow, when one driver is trying to draw other drivers' attention to the flag. As often as not, the following driver (who has already seen the yellow) interprets it as a point by, and passes. This unexpected move simply compounds the danger inherent in whatever triggered the yellow and exposes the passing driver to penalty.

Sometimes a driver will start waving to warn following drivers about an incident immediately in front on the road. Again, the following driver will (should) have seen the incident and/or flag. The driver doing the waving is merely distracting himself from the task at hand, which is to safely navigate the incident zone.

The bottom line is, don't make signals to other drivers except as set out in the GCR.

Tune in again soon for our next episode, 'Mechanical Protests'.
    Last edited by John Nesbitt; 08.06.09 at 8:10 AM. Reason: Correction to start procedure.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 42

Just a quick questions that I didn't see in the GCR regarding waving yellows.

At many races I've been to, if there is a waving yellow in a corner, the preceding station shows a standing yellow.

There is no mention of it in the GCR (or I just can't find it).

Is this a region/track specific thing that some do?

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    Or, But I thought you meant ...

(Part 4 of a series, 'You and the GCR')

1. Flaggers showing a waving yellow for an incident off-track.

This is a well-meant gesture, usually done for an incident close to the track or a more serious incident. It is bad practice because it dilutes the proper message, "Waving on the paving; standing on the grass", and induces drivers to start discounting the waving yellow.

I don't buy the argument that the waving yellow (or any flag) is to 'protect' the workers. A flag doesn't protect anyone; it informs.

The emergency workers and flaggers are protected when we - the drivers - first, see the flag; and, second, obey it. The onus is on the driver to see and obey. A driver causing a second incident in a yellow flag zone can expect no mercy from the SOM.
    Between our 3 local race sanctioning organizations plus various drivers schools, I flag 22 to 25 days a year and am a Divisional Level SCCA flagger. Yes, probably qualified for National Level but I haven't requested it.

'Conceptually', using the yellow as described above does convey the clearest message to the driver(s) as to what he should be watching for ahead. However, I believe some 'flexability' must be left to the judgement of the station staff under certain conditions.

At our home track we have 3 corners that are blind entry's with well over 100 MPH exit speeds. It is NOT at all uncommon for cars exiting the corners to become disabled and come to rest JUST off the edge of the track (maybe 2 or 4 feet). They are in a HIGH probablity locatioin of the next car coming through that gets a bit loose or off line impacting them. I think the local flagger SHOULD have the option (based upon experience and good judgement) to use a WAVING yellow.

Hate to say it but you can guess who the NOTORIOUSLY bad club is for not heeding the meaning of standing/waving yellows. Yes, SCCA drivers over my years of corner working are the most likely to NOT properly respond to yellows.

It's really a challenge to be out there with a disabled car (waving yellow because I'm out there) and have cars exiting the blind corner at 95% (or more) of racing speed and IGNORING my hand signals to MOVE toward the center or other side of the track for safety several laps in a row.

The mantra of flaggers starts out 'KEEP YOURSELF SAFE'. In fact, following that 1st part of the mantra, some of our flaggers (with more years in then I) have reached the point of being unwilling to respond to cars that are in such locations (and that's a bad thing). On the other hand, I probably have too much faith in the drivers abilities to maintain control!

At tracks with relatively open and clear views for the drivers (without seriously blind corner exits) the GCR statement of 'proper' flag use works just fine.

P.S.
    It would also be GOOD if drivers were INSTRUCTED to use some hand signal to let the nearest corner workers know they are physically OKAY when coming to a stop somewhere on the track. I'd say 75% of drivers with less then 2 years of racing experience do not do this. Those with more years do it maybe 50% of the time.
    Last edited by rickb99; 08.06.09 at 3:12 PM.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Hand signals...

During a Qualifying Session at Laguna Seca I came thru the very Fast Turn 10 and saw a slow moving CSR on the right side of the track. The driver did Not have a hand up to signal that he was disabled. No flags were displayed at turn 10.
    As I was almost even with him he Pointed to the Left with his Left hand and proceeded to turn hard Left to cross the track to get to the Pit Entry on the Left side of the track!
    We missed each other by inches at a closing speed of 100MPH.
    He came over to apolagise after the session and said he never saw me till I was next to him.
    He was using a Road Car hand signal to indicate where HE was Going,not where he wanted ME to go.
    This is the kind of mistake that gets people hurt or killed!

Liked: 0

Default drivers meetings

This is the exact kind of info that should be included in those drivers meetings we all enjoy attending. Quick little reminders.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I agree.

The guy should have been thrown out on his ear.

If you need a driver's meeting to remind you of proper procedures you have no business on a race track ... Period.

Mirrors are for checking that you are not about to kill someone with your bonehead move. Not...

Signaling which way you intend to turn.

There is no excuse for that move that DT describes.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    Just a quick questions that I didn't see in the GCR regarding waving yellows.

At many races I've been to, if there is a waving yellow in a corner, the preceding station shows a standing yellow.

There is no mention of it in the GCR (or I just can't find it).

Is this a region/track specific thing that some do?

Cooley,

You are correct! That is NOT in the SCCA GCR's. Furthermore, you will usually NOT find it done at SCCA Nationals nor regionals.

Having said that, one of our sanctioning body's DOES DO IT as a routine part of the flagging procedures. It does have advantages and disadvantages.

Early warning to driver(s) that something is ON the track ahead that you cannot run over.

Get yourselves 'as a group' under control and prepare to go single file. There's a serious hazard ahead.

The club that DOES do it has a relatively LOW rate of passes under the yellow. Drivers are usually in GOOD control of their cars (at reduced speed) when they go through the hazard zone.

Disadvantages:
    Yup, increases the length of the yellow flag zone. But, in the interest of SAFETY at the club racing level, it's pretty effective.

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    Cooley,

You are correct! That is NOT in the SCCA GCR's. Furthermore, you will usually NOT find it done at SCCA Nationals nor regionals.

Having said that, one of our sanctioning body's DOES DO IT as a routine part of the flagging procedures. It does have advantages and disadvantages.

Early warning to driver(s) that something is ON the track ahead that you cannot run over.

Get yourselves 'as a group' under control and prepare to go single file. There's a serious hazard ahead.

The club that DOES do it has a relatively LOW rate of passes under the yellow. Drivers are usually in GOOD control of their cars (at reduced speed) when they go through the hazard zone.

Disadvantages:
    Yup, increases the length of the yellow flag zone. But, in the interest of SAFETY at the club racing level, it's pretty effective.
    Are you speaking of ICSCC doing that? During my 3 hour stint at the 12 hour I only came across one instance of a yellow and it was a standing yellow. Impressive control by drivers actually realizing it was an enduro.

It sure is nice to have that extra little bit of flagging to give you a heads up, especially in the higher speed/more intense sections. It doesn't bother me that it extends a yellow flag zone and it's not that much of an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    Are you speaking of ICSCC doing that? During my 3 hour stint at the 12 hour I only came across one instance of a yellow and it was a standing yellow. Impressive control by drivers actually realizing it was an enduro.

It sure is nice to have that extra little bit of flagging to give you a heads up, especially in the higher speed/more intense sections. It doesn't bother me that it extends a yellow flag zone and it's not that much of an extension.

INDEED... it's in the ICSCC flagging instructions. It is NOT in SCCA or SOVREN vintage out here. Keeping in mind there's a BIG cross over between SCCA and SOVREN senior staff, this isn't surprising

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Over-driving a yellow

This is one of my favorite pet peeves. Actually, it's a lot more than a pet peeve, since that would imply that it's a trivial matter. It may come from too many people watching F1, or possibly trying to read too much into whether a yellow is stationary or waving--but the yellow flag is a caution flag! It means slow down. It doesn't mean to use it as a means to catch the guy in front of you. I've seen far too many incidents where a car spins and comes to a stop just off track, and he is covered (appropriately) by a standing yellow--then someone else does a sympathetic spin in close proximity, in spite of being shown a yellow.

As stewards, we work hard to provide drivers with as much good track time as possible. While safety is always first, we know that no one wants to spend half the session under yellow. Unfortunately, it only takes one or two drivers failing to properly respond to a yellow flag, and then we have to drop the hammer.

So this is my plea. Drivers, PLEASE slow down when you see the yellow! It's not your opportunity to make up time. It is, however, an opportunity to put a fellow driver or corner worker at risk, or to get the session ended early or possibly get yourself severely penalized.

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 111

Forgive me, Larry, but how much to slow down. When I got my license a few years ago, it was instructed to "be ready to slow down" not "slow down absolutely". If you are battleing nose to tail and you slow down 50% and the guy in front of you slows 5%, the race is over for the day. How much to slow?
    If the standing yellow has been in place for a few laps, do I slow as much the fifth time by when the flag is out just because there a car far off the track?

I agree slowing is good, but it is hard concept to really define.

jim

Liked: 68

Good question - I lost a position at the Sprints on the next-to-last lap because I slowed significantly coming into Canada corner (when the FB was sideway at the apex, along with the tow truck), and the driver behind me did not. I was rather perturbed that I lost a position that way, but I couldn't say anything to the other driver, because he didn't pass me in the yellow zone (though he carried enough speed through that I couldn't stay in front once we got past the mess). His approach to the situation was totally legal - remember the line from Grand Prix where Sartie is describing how he puts his foot to the floor when he sees another car in trouble?

I'm not sure I know the right answer, but it is a serious issue.....
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Mauney View Post
    Good question - I lost a position at the Sprints on the next-to-last lap because I slowed significantly coming into Canada corner (when the FB was sideway at the apex, along with the tow truck), and the driver behind me did not. I was rather perturbed that I lost a position that way, but I couldn't say anything to the other driver, because he didn't pass me in the yellow zone (though he carried enough speed through that I couldn't stay in front once we got past the mess). His approach to the situation was totally legal - remember the line from Grand Prix where Sartie is describing how he puts his foot to the floor when he sees another car in trouble?

I'm not sure I know the right answer, but it is a serious issue.....

Agree, Marshall.

The situation you describe is what WE as flaggers see ALL the time when trying to respond to a disabled car. Drivers catching UP instead of slowing and maintaining position/gap. Wish I had the magic answer to that question too.

In order to 'level' the playing field we even attempted to impliment the European style flagging. But it didn't pan out well. In Europe, when you enter a yellow flag zone (i.e. pass a station on waving yellow), the NO PASSING zone remains in effect until you pass the NEXT station displaying a green flag (not the incident causing the yellow).

Although our flag staff is recognized as some of the best in the country, it was difficult to impliment and the drivers didn't care for it. Difficult radio com requirements to properly do and, we have some areas where you can have well over 1/4 mile between stations (some times over 1/2 mile between stations).

But even that doesn't address what the proper amount of speed reduction is.

We TRY to handle all situations with local flags. If drivers just don't cooperate with speed reductions especially with E-crew and turn workers out near the track, out comes the double yellow and worst case if the Stewards really ticked off (or a really bad situation), the black flag. Good point from a drivers persective is, we do everything possible to keep them on the track if they follow the rules.

In all my years at corners, we've only thrown a twice. And they really were needed

Liked: 39

Very interesting discussion, I hope no one minds if I shift the topic from yellow to black flags. At the 40th, during one of the practice/qual sessions for Group 4, we got the black flag. I slowed a bit to cool-down lap speed and a number of cars blew past me (including one very experienced driver in a red car who dive bombed me inside at the apex of the Kink, which seemed both stupid and dangerous). After the session I dug out the GCR but the Black Flag section said nothing about speed or passing. Is full speed back to the pits during a black flag the standard? Other than possibly to get a good tire temp reading, why would you do that?

Chuck Smith

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by cgscgs View Post
    Is full speed back to the pits during a black flag the standard? Other than possibly to get a good tire temp reading, why would you do that?
    That would be the reason, and there's nothing in the rulebook to prevent it, as long as you aren't in an area that is also displaying a yellow.

Part of the issue is that in a black flag all the passing car doesn't know how slow the car in front is going, nor does he know WHY they are going that slowly. If you're past the incident and heading to the pits, why wouldn't you maintain speed (at least 8/10ths)? [Of course, the other question is why would you not slow down and let the car/tires cool off, but that's already been answered.]
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Default Black Flag/speed.

Yes,to maintain a good pace to take Tire Temps. Also when you enter the Pit Lane you will be directed to continue to the end of Pit Lane to line up for a return to the track when it goes Green.(if you leave this line to pull over to check/service the car you go to the end of the line) so if the Black Flag comes out during a Qualifying session you could end up closer to the front of the line if you pass cars before entering the Pit Lane. I don't advocate taking chances to gain this advantage but it is a consideration.
    In a Qualifying session with 40-50 cars that can make a difference on the Re-Start.

Contributing Member

As Larry said in his post, a yellow flag means slow down. At a track like Thunderhill where it seems most yellow flags are for an incident out of your sight, around or over a hill, slowing down seems like a good idea to me. But I have had cars fly past me after passing a yellow at a speed where they obviously never slowed down at all. When you have spent several laps finally passing someone, then they make up the gap and pass you leaving a yellow it is a bit frustrating.
    One time at Sears Point going into turn 2, which is pretty much blind, there was a waving yellow. I slowed down, crested the hill to find a car broadside in the middle of the road. As I went left I was passed by a car that went right. And the car that passed me was probably 80 to 100 yards behind me going up the hill.
    The flaggers are there to help protect you. Don't know why some people pay little, if any, attention to them.

Very interesting discussion, I hope no one minds if I shift the topic from yellow to black flags. At the 40th, during one of the practice/qual sessions for Group 4, we got the black flag. I slowed a bit to cool-down lap speed and a number of cars blew past me (including one very experienced driver in a red car who dive bombed me inside at the apex of the Kink, which seemed both stupid and dangerous)... Chuck Smith
    WOW! Not good.

Must be a regional mentality thing. Out here (even in SCCA), black flags are pretty much treated by drivers as a semi-full-course-yellow. They DO slow when the black comes out and proceed to the hot pits in the order they are in (not passing). It is treated as a cool down lap.

As we have E-crews, wreckers of various types and ambulances at 2 or 3 locations around the track, 99% of our drivers KNOW on a black flag lap those vehicles could be entering the track all over the place and they heed the message.

That of course leads us to the flag. We (None SCCA) do things a little different there too. An emergancy vehicle is 'protected' by a WAVING at the station controlling the area it's in AND backed up by a standing white at the station before the waving. Drivers out here would never dream of approaching at FULL racing speed an E-crew truck driving on the track. They slow to a 'reasonable pace' and watch for a 'wave by' from the truck driver.

Again, at my SCCA school, white flag=be aware but do NOT slow down, it is just information that there a slower vehicle in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    Again, at my SCCA school, white flag=be aware but do NOT slow down, it is just information that there a slower vehicle in front of you.

Well, that doesn't always work out.

During a weekend about a month ago at the Historics race in Portland (follows SCCA flag procedures), the E-crew truck (BRAND spanking new one) was parked to protect a disabled car and 'staff' responding to a driver off track. Guy came around the corner WITH a standing yellow, surface and white. Slid off the track (okay there was oil) and hit not only the truck but also spun around the truck and hit the disabled car.

THANKS to the truck driver having one eye in the mirror, he was able to blow horn and 'scatter' the humans in front of him and in danger before the impact.

Note to drivers... Pay attention to white flags and use reasonable caution! People are in danger from you!

I always look at a white as a reason to be extra aware, but again an example of SCCA schools not teaching what other believe to be the case.

jim

Liked: 0

Default Waving yellow

What I preach at every flag meeting:

"Waving on the paving-stationary on the grass".

If you display a waving yellow you are telling the drivers that something large is ahead is on the paved part of the race track and they might have to change their line to avoid hitting it.

Exceptions? Yes, but they should be very rare and...well, exceptional: Fer instance an incident on the outside of a high-speed turn just barely off-the circuit. Some flaggers take it personally when drivers do not slow down for a waving yellow: Speed matters less to me than awareness.and control.

As a rule I do not like what are known as "back-up" flags: (A stationary yellow preceding a waving yellow). The GCR does allow for it but in my judgement it is just another kind of over-flagging (which I think is a scourge). Creates bogus passing-under-yellow situations.

Good discussion.

cheers,

DD

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    If the standing yellow has been in place for a few laps, do I slow as much the fifth time by when the flag is out just because there a car far off the track?
    absolutely. who knows what has happened between the 4th and 5th time around.

Very interesting discussion, I hope no one minds if I shift the topic from yellow to black flags. At the 40th, during one of the practice/qual sessions for Group 4, we got the black flag. I slowed a bit to cool-down lap speed and a number of cars blew past me (including one very experienced driver in a red car who dive bombed me inside at the apex of the Kink, which seemed both stupid and dangerous). After the session I dug out the GCR but the Black Flag section said nothing about speed or passing. Is full speed back to the pits during a black flag the standard? Other than possibly to get a good tire temp reading, why would you do that?
    I always proceed at "nearly" full speed under black-flag-all, say 9/10 or definitely at least 8/10. Not sure what you consider cool-down lap speed to be. I will pass slow moving cars without hesitation. I would not make risky moves like you describe, though ... like you say, stupid and dangerous.

The reason I hustle "so fast" under black-flag-all is because they are trying to get the course cleared in order to safely remove a vehicle, clean the track, etc. The longer you are out there the longer it takes for them to start their work. And the more of the session time you are wasting. Just one extra qualify lap can make all the difference. The definition of black flag is not to slow down, so why would you? It is not my intent to pass everyone possible, so I'll back off a bit if a car in front is slower than me but still moving at a reasonable pace. But that said, FIFO in the pit lane.

I consider it similar to a FCY when you are not in sight of the pace car / train of cars. You don't just meander around the track ... the point of the safety car is to bunch up the field, so I try to catch the lead pack "quickly". Not 10/10ths for sure but basically black flag speed.

I make special exceptions for blind corners under both FCY and BFA and slow as if there were a waving yellow. In either case there might be a slow moving car just around the bend even though the flag station doesn't specifically indicate that.

Liked: 23

These are the current Club rules taught at Club driver schools, including mine, and to F&C students, again, including mine. Check against your current GCR. Pages 56 and 57.

Waving Yellow = No passing. Something is on the racing surface. Be prepared to change your line. Be prepared to stop. If one does not slow down, ones racing line cannot be changed safely. Usually waving for two laps. After two laps it should have been taken care of, by removal, by corner workers, or stewards action of black or red flag. If a flag condition is still there, the situation may have escalated.

Standing yellow = No passing. Something is off the racing surface. Same two lap rule.

Any solid yellow flag(s) displayed = no passing

Full course yellow = The cause of the situation is under control. Catch up to the tail end of the pack. The tail end of the pack may be covered with a white flag as they may be moving much slower behind a pace car. The incident may still be a waving or standing yellow. Watch and obey all displayed flags.

Surface Flag = A slippery condition exists, or debris is on the racing surface. If a car can run over it, and squish it, it's a surface flag. If it's big enough to squish your car, it should be a yellow flag. Again, same two lap rule.

Black Flag ALL= The session is being stopped. Return to pit lane. Passing is allowed unless there is a yellow. (Your current qualifying lap is now NG, so no need to go 10/10ths. The safest and quickest way to pit lane is best, cuz the faster the cause starts to get cleaned up.)

White Flag = FYI a slow moving racecar or some emergency vehicle is ON the racing surface. Shown two stations preceeding the slow moving vehicle. White is not used for vehicles OFF the racing surface, (usually becomes a yellow flag area). The white is NEVER waved. The waving white rule was change a few years ago.
    A standing white flag is displayed for one lap of each first session of each race group, to indicate flag station locations.

My job as a flagger is to inform drivers as best I can, thru flags, with information they need to race safely to the next flag staion.
    As I driver, I can only read the flags shown, and react accordingly with the information given.

Alan
    National F&C, and National Compitition licences.
    Van Diemen RF 79 #? Van Deimen RF 78 #231

It's not how fast you go.
    It's how well you go fast.

Liked: 947

Default Courtesy flag

I have seen this one a few times..

It was explained to me by the chief of specialty at Drivers School:

Blue flag, yellow diagonal stripe.

Usually held up and open to let you know there is a race going on behind you and you are not in it.. Be aware, there is at leat one car coming up on you and probably more.. Drive your line and leave racing room.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Default Great discription!

"There is a Race going on Behind you,and you are not In IT"

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Blue flag, yellow diagonal stripe.

Usually held up and open to let you know there is a race going on behind you and you are not in it.. Be aware, there is at leat one car coming up on you and probably more.. Drive your line and leave racing room.

Exactly right, Dan.

More then any other flag, the is almost an 'art'. The use of which is highly dependent upon the 'personality' holding the flag. Some are zealous showers and wavers while others become so engrossed in watching the race that they forget they have a job!

There are also TWO blue flag philosophy's floating around out there.

No need to blue flag until the leaders start to lap the field (European style).

Use the blue flag OFTEN and every chance you get even on the 1st lap of the race (zealots in action).

I personally don't believe in 1 or 2.

Number 1 doesn't apply (except perhaps at the pro racing level) because we often have very fast cars that end up grided back in the field due to not running qual., being late to grid or by choice moving to the back of the field.

Number 2 is a distraction to drivers locked in close competition with others and they are fully aware of who's around them.

You'll get a blue flag from me if..... A clearly faster car(s) are coming up behind you and will be making a passing move on you PRIOR to the next flag station. If he CANNOT possibly make a move on you until after the next station, no flag.

You'll get a blue flag from me if.... You're in a tight race with a car in class running nose to your tail lap after lap and, approaching my corner, he makes a sudden move to one side to attempt a pass and you probably are not aware of the move. Check your mirrors.

NOTE:
    SUPER FASTER.. Such as Jackie Stewart's Tyrrell F1 care or an F5000 car coming up on an S2 in vintage racing. Or, a GT1 coming up on a BMW Pro 3 car. If the closing speed is in excess of say 30 MPH or more you'll.... get a WAVING
    Last edited by rickb99; 08.11.09 at 2:32 PM.

Thread Information