Liked: 0

Default Best travel rout from the left coast

Anybody have any recomendations on the best rout to RA from the west. We would like to avoid any large scale traffic mess. The navigator is thinking of heading north out of omaha to avoid the larger city traffic, but google maps says it's an hour longer that way.

any suggestions, gang???

Cant wait to see this many FF/CFs on one race track

Jerry Lampkin

Liked: 23

I80 to I88 at the Quad Citites to I39 North to I43 North is the way to go. You'll avoid the Chicago traffic by going directly toward it but then turn north before it. Can't speak to the Salt Lake traffic, but pretty much everywhere else in between on I80 is flyover land.

The only error Google Maps makes is to take I43 all the way to Sheboygan then backtrack west to the track. Instead, take WI57 north where it splits from I43 at Port Washington (its 28 miles and google thinks it takes an hour, it takes 25 minutes tops).

Oh, I88 is a toll road. As soon as you cross into Illinois gas tax will drive gas up $0.10 a gallon and you'll have to pay to drive on the pot hole roads...and if you don't have a tollway transponder, you have to stop every 20 miles or so and pay (you can buy a transponder at the first 'Oasis' you come to). At least Illini are proud of our corruption...
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 309

I drove from an hour west of you to RA just last month, so have recent experience.

I took I-80 all the way to Iowa City, then north on I-390 to Cedar Rapids (about 20 minutes), then Route 151 all the way northeast to Fond du Lac, WI. From there it is about 30 more minutes to the track on the only 2-lane roads you encounter. That's right, 151 is 4-lane divided highway all the way.

Oh, and 151 is brand new with no tolls. It's not a limited access freeway, but it is nearly empty and you just bomb along at 65mph across beautiful farm country.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 25

Default Travel

HI Jerry

Stans right on, 151 is the best route up thorugh WI

Drive safe, we'll have a spot in the paddock for you!!!

Jeff

Liked: 0

Default travel

Thanks Stan and Jeff:

We're loaded up and leavin sunday morning, cant wait!!!

Jeff will there be Electric power near our paddock spot and room for Grandpa's 30 ft fifth wheel? Would love to leave the monster generator at home.

Also I was told to stop at all of the Brat stands that I see along the way, I was told thier legendary!!! The "Brat Wash" is supposed to be pretty good as well!!!

ROAD AMERICA OR BUST!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Jerry Lampkin

Liked: 11

Posting here to maybe catch a draft!

I'm looking for a ride for a car from the track to Southern California. (or Northern California!!)

So if you have any room in your trailer for an extra Formula Ford, let me know!! Great chance to help pay for your trip!!

Pen Pendleton

pen@pendleton.com
    310-210-5906

Thread Information